EliThorpe

Optical Drive Power: OFF

Info: Satellite A505-S6005, Windows 7

I know some other people have had this problem and they fixed it in their power settings, so that's why this is posted here.

For some reason Toshiba Power Saver turns off my Optical Disk Drive (ODD).  I read online that some people fix this by going into the advanced settings for their power plan and changing an option under TOSHIBA Power Saver, but that option is not available to me, it simply isn't there.  The only way that I know of for getting my drive to work is by rebooting, and even at that, it seems the system decides randomly if the disk drive will be on or off so someitmes I have to reboot three or four times before getting it to go on.

Also, once I have it on, I can't stop using it or it will go off shortly thereafter.

Basically the little icon in my taskbar says "Optical Drive Power: OFF" and I can't change it back.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Optical Drive Power: OFF

Satellite A505-S6005 

Toshiba Power Saver turns off my Optical Disk Drive (ODD).

I don't have it here to look at, Eli, but Toshiba's power management apparently has that setting. Scroll down to TOSHIBA Power Saver Settings Vxxxxx here.

How to handle the power managment features of Windows 7

-Jerry
EliThorpe

Mine doesn't have that option :smileysad:

http://i.imgur.com/14VH1.png

I checked ALL the power plans, even tried creating a completely new one and none of them have that option available!

Is there a driver, or some software that needs to be updated?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Beats me. I don't have anything to look at here.

Hopefully, somebody else will jump in.

-Jerry
EliThorpe

Thanks for your help!

If anyone knows of a way to uninstall Toshiba Power Saver and reinstall it, I would be eternally grateful.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The Toshiba Power Saver utility is usually packaged in the TVAP.

Toshiba Value Added Package for Windows 7 (64)

-Jerry
EliThorpe

Thanks!  I uninstalled the Power Saver component, my drive works!  I reinstalled Power Saver, but that makes the drive stop working for whatever reason so I'm just gonna keep it uninstalled.

Is this whole package of software actually vital?  I actually uninstalled the whole lot and then my system restarted MUCH more quickly than after I reinstalled them all.  What I'm asking is, is this software necessary for my system to run or is it superfluous and can I uninstall it?

Thanks again!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Is this whole package of software actually vital?

No application that Toshiba adds is essential to Windows' running.

They are necessary for many of the bells and whistles on the laptop, though.

-Jerry
EliThorpe

Good.  Well I removed it and have had no problems yet so I'm calling it good.  Thanks for all your help!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Eli, some folks go to the Startup Tab of the System Configuration utility (msconfig.exe) and uncheck many of the items there. Preventing them from starting speeds up Windows' boot and frees memory.

You can investigate what those modules do at sites like these.

SystemLookup

Task List Programs

ProcessLibrary.com 

Startup Applications List

-Jerry