bosoxgrl15

No power when plugged in

I have a Satellite L305-S5944 that does not turn on when the adapter is plugged in. When I plug in the adapter it no longer powers on.  The last few days, the cord has been touchy when plugged in, so that if its in a certain place, it will power on.  But if you move the cord, then it shuts down.  I don't think its the adapter, I think the charging port is loose.  When I plug in the adapter, it does feel a little loose inside where the charging port is. 

I am told that the charging port may or may not be attached to the mother board, and depending on if it is or not will depend on how much it costs to repair it.  Right now, I have been given "rough" estimates (no one has physically looked at it - just over the phone based on my description of problem) of repair costs anywhere from $120-$150 and up.  Based on this, will be the deciding factor on if I just want to buy a new laptop.  Does anyone know if my particular model has the charging port attached to the motherboard or not?  If its too much to repair, I may as well buy a new one, and look into data recovery for the stuff I have on my laptop currently.

Also battery is dead currently - haven't had time/money to buy a new battery : (   

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: No power when plugged in

[ Edited ]

If you are reasonably handy and inventive with solutions, you most likely could fix this yourself by taking the bottom of the computer off and fixing the power socket so that it is firm again. If you want extra help, a PDF download version of the L305 Service Manual is available for $4.95 from here:

http://toshiba.laptopmanualvault.com/Toshiba-Satellite-L305-Service-Manual.html

BTW, after you get the power problem fixed, the battery may accept a full charge and not need replacing.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
bosoxgrl15

Unfortunately, I dont know if I would feel comfortable enough to do this???  I have changed memory in a desktop, so if its "similar" to that, MAYBE I could do it?  Hence the reason I have been calling around to get estimates for repair.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Only you can decide what you are comfortable with.  Good Luck!

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Occasional Contributor
artfd

Comprehensive review of laptop power jack repairs

Check out this posting on a blog:  Recurring power jack defects

The information there will give you an overview of the things that go wrong & what can be or has to be done about them.

The typical charge for the repair includes about an hour of a technician's time just to take the laptop apart to the point of getting to the problem and then putting it back together.   Simply fixing the bad power jack is the least of the effort needed.