Occasional Contributor
iaoear
Accepted Solution

New Battery, How Long to Charge?

Hi, I just bought a new (genuine) battery for my laptop and was wondering how long I should charge it before using it? Can I just snap it in right away and boot up the computer while it charges? Or does the computer need to be off while it charges? Thank you!

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: New Battery, How Long to Charge?

It does charge with the computer on using AC power but it will charge quicker if the computer is not using the AC.  I would leave it charging overnight before expecting it to have a full effective charge.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Occasional Contributor
iaoear

[ Edited ]

So I can just leave it plugged in all night and it will be okay? Won't overcharge or harm the computer? Also, it's a high capacity battery. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not, this is all new to me!

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Don't worry yourself. High capacity makes no difference with what we are discussing.  Yes, leave it all night (or forever) with the power plugged in and charging and everything will be okay.  That's the way I leave my computers 100% of the time.  When a full charge is reached, the charging circuitry cuts way back to just maintaining the charge that exists.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Occasional Contributor
iaoear

Thank you so much!

leydi

Does this mean that it is better if you keep the laptop off while charging overnight?
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

It doesn't matter. I personally never turn off my computers but do let them sleep automatically after 15 minutes of idleness. You can also use Hibernation or turn completely offAs long as the computer is still hooked to the AC, trickle-charging will be taking place to maintain the proper charge for the battery.

One thing you might like to do is, every few weeks or so, remove the AC and run on battery until the low battery warning soundsThen plug it back in and proceed as usualThat action is good for a battery that is not used much normally.

C.B.

C.B.