tommymsw

Has anybody tried this?

Has anybody tried putting something under the right front foot and pressing down on the left? My Laptop did not work for a year... Then I read to press really hard on it and it worked. I found all it needed was to be twisted. I put a "domino" under the right front leg and then electrical taped the laptop down to a wooden board! It is heavy and ugly but it has worked flawlessly for the past week. Beats the heck out of not turning on in over a year! lol 

CLWenn

Re: Has anybody tried this?

I bought an NB-205 at Best Buy in July of 2009.  About a month ago, it started not rebooting (warm or cold boot).  It would start briefly (I'd hear a fan or a hard drive start to whir) and then nothing, black screen, no noise ... nothing.

I had some success with the "refrigeration and G-spot" technique described in this thread.  It worked, but it's not a satisfactory solution to a computer you want to use on the road. So today, I tried another suggestion in this thread and updated the BIOS after lugging my computer out of the refrigerator one last time and getting it started again.

It's something I'd never done before, but I figured the computer was one step away from a doorstop anyway, so if I bricked it ... well, I bricked it.  But wonder of wonders, after the BIOS update shut down the computer, I pressed the "on" switch, and it booted up like a charm.  I've only tried it one additional time in the few minutes since it's starting to work again (this time from a Menu re-start), and that worked just fine also.

So whatever ailed my computer, the BIOS upgrade seemed to address ... at least today.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

littlebrother

Re: NB205 won't turn on properly - OFFICIAL TOSHIBA TECH SUPPORT SOLUTION

[ Edited ]

I have to agree that there is a component on the motherboard that has shifted value with age.  I want to thank you for your information and the solution to my Big Brother's problem.  He shipped his beloved N205  to me to take a look at and after said look, I searched and found this thread.  I then placed the computer in the freezer, but opted instead for the refrigerator to give it a cold soak. The freezer temp would have created too much condensation on removal, as I noted after just five or ten minutes in there.  And so to bed.  Next morning, took the N205 out of the refrigerator, started it up, flashed the bios and it has performed flawlessly since.   

Reminds me of the joke about the parrot with a foul mouth.  The owner had gotten him from a sailor and it just used the foulest of language around his girlfriend.  They got into a knock down drag out and the owner got just enough of an upper hand to throw the parrot into the freezer.  Well, the parrot cussed and carried on inside the freezer, banging into things and creating a ruckus.  Then it stopped.  There was no sign of life coming from the freezer.  The owner rushed to the appliance and threw open the door fearing that he had killed the bird.  The parrot was standing there, wings before him, tips clasped, head bowed and said, "Sir I am sorry for my earlier behavior, and apologize if I offended your girlfriend."  "I want to assure you that it will never happen again."  "By the way, just what did the turkey do?"  

KristinS

Re: NB205 won't turn on properly - OFFICIAL TOSHIBA TECH SUPPORT SOLUTION

In agreement about the BIOS.  I had to cool my computer to get it to turn on initially but since the BIOS update it's been turning on and off just fine.  I would suggest to anyone who uses this for file storage to get a backup drive, you don't have to spend much just check sales or newegg.com is usually pretty good.  Also their program these originally came with "Software Upgrades" clearly doesn't work, but they have a new one for software/hardware updates called "service station" that is also on their update page.  Maybe next time we'll get a heads up and not have to search the internet for hours to figure it out - thanks everyone for working this one out!

jlg12

Re: NB205 won't turn on properly

me too. bought sept 09 from newegg, warranty expired. checking to see if my credit card has extended warranty.

now so afriad i'll lose use of it, i just leave it on on ac at home, but really need to travel with it this thursday. i see the advice for updating bios- but i'm not up to that, and afraid i'll lose stuff, tho i backed up. Would like to take it into work so my more techie colleagues can help. does the tape/motherboard twist fix work only if you keep it taped down?

lorde

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone,

I've been following this thread for a while now. My NB started having problems over Christmas but at first opening up the back cover and allowing it to cool was enough to get it working again. Eventually I had to resort to placing it in the freezer and that had worked just fine until this weekend when the computer restarted it's self (installs of course) I've been keeping it in sleep mode when ever I needed to go mobil with it, but I wasn't too worried about the restart it had happend before no worries. I put the computer in the freezer for a while and nothing, I put in it longer still nothing. Last night after trying the ..."g-spot" technique I left it in the freezer all night and it still wouldn't work this morning. I'm willing to try the BIOS update though I  don't really know enough to do it right but at this point the NB won't even boot to the Toshiba welcome screen. Nothing at all actually. Any suggestions? I don't care if I lose everything I just need a working comp.

KristinS

@lorde and others...

the bios is incredibly easy, i know it sounds difficult but it's automatic, you download the update and run the file, it gives you the options of "flashing" the bios over in windows with the computer on, just do this the computer will shut off and restart (i think) if not wait a few minutes and turn it back on.  You have to do almost nothing and it requies no technical ability.

sgk
sgk

I've written before and since that time my NB205-310 (bought July 2009) totally stopped booting and has had three different computer technicians look at it--conclusion, bad mother board, too expensive to fix.  But two days ago I thought, what the heck, took the battery off and put it in the refrigerator for 3 hours.  Took it out, elevated the right front corner, pushed down on the left front corner and hit the start button.  Low and behold, it started up and has been starting up ever since.  Upgraded the BIOS (and all other software).  Everyone is amazed:  cyrogenic re-computerization---back from the dead.  If it lasts another year I'll be happy but would still be reticent to buy another Toshiba.  Good luck everyone else.

youngmonei

Re: Has anybody tried this? IT WORKS!!!

I was having the exact same problem with my nb 200 not starting up.

I usually leave my laptop on all the time in standby mode and noticed tonight it was not starting up. After trying various ideas and suggestions that were made I first attempted to leave it on my balcony for 15 minutes but realize I forgot to turn it off completely before trying this DOH!!!!! 

I then decided to try the FRIDGE idea! I also purchased my laptop around August 2009 and have had this problem before in the past but after a couple of attempts at restarting it is always worked before. This time I tried to restart over 20 times....same problem!! Only the power/battery lights were coming on but not the hard disk light.

I put it in the FRIDGE for 20 minutes and VOILA!! It worked!! Boots up fine now!! 

I noticed when it wasnt booting up earlier the laptop was extremely hot as well.

The laptop boots fine for me whenever I only close the lid and let it go into stand by mode on its own. Whenever I shut down the laptop completely, it seems that it needs to cool down before it will restart.

I was really happy it worked for me as I thought I was up sh*ts creek without a paddle being in the middle of exam revisions and having everything on my laptop! 

Doing a back up now to a external drive so if I ever run into this problem again in future I wont be so scared...but I was pleasantly surprises the fridge idea worked. 

IM NOT A COMPUTER TECH but Im glad that I was able to find a fix to the problem without going to a repair shop to only have them tell me it is a faulty mother board and have them change it just for a price if this simple solutions works.

Thanks for the postings with the Fridge idea..I also tried the pressing down of the G-spot above the SD memory card idea but it didnt work for me unfortunately.

compuser

I started having this startup problem this weekend.  But first some background.  My NB205 was purchased Sept 2009, but not sure when it was manufactured.  Until this weekend the only problem I've had a keyboard with a mind of its own. Talked with support after purchase and got it under control by changing some settings.  Since then the cursor jumps around every once in awhile when pressure is applied in the wrong place, but I love the computer otherwise.

This past Friday the netbook wouldn't come out of hibernation.  Hours early I loaded some pictures using the SDHC  slot and then forgot to remove the card. After awhile the system went into hibernation as it should. When I went to use the computer again by lifting the lid the system wouldn't restart.  Couldn't figure it out until I found the card in the slot.  Removed the card and then was able to get a good start.  Though problem was solved.  However, since then the computer would alternate between normal restarts and abnormal ones where it looked like it was about to "awake" but only the power button and power light on the front would illuminate. Something was running but not a good start.  Maybe leaving the SDHC card had nothing to do with the initial problem, it wouldn't surprise me.

Found this thread and laughed at the refrigerator solution, but was interested in the BIOS solution.  Decided to do the BIOS flash but I couldn't get the computer to start again even after several attempts.  In the refrigerator it went for 10 minutes.  Restarted after that!  Then found the June/July 2010 BIOS file on this Toshiba website, downloaded the file, and executed the file as instructed.  Did it using Windows rather than via floppy or CD.  It installed with no issues (other than my anti-virus/firewall complaining some - yes I could have disabled them first).

Maybe the new BIOS has a way of working around this issues?  If I don't post again in the future than this problem "NB205 won't come out of hibernation" problem is solved.

tuckerd

...I was sceptical. A client brought me his Toshiba NB-205 netbook with the same symptoms. I pulled it apart, resat the ram, HDD, and wireless, had a look at the mother board. I checked the HDD on another computer and it was working fine.

So then I checked this forum...

Popped the HDD out, put the laptop in the freezer for 10 minutes, reinstalled the HDD and the computer booted. Since it booted into the OS,  I took the opportunity to flash the bios with the latest. It has been working ever since.

To reitterate:

1. Download the latest Bios (win XP Self extracting ). Put it on a memory stick.

2. Remove battery and HDD and freeze computer for 10 minutes.

3. Quickly replace battery and HDD and boot computer. (charged battery is necessary to flash the bios. It has to be plugged in too.)

4. Flash the bios.

ps. Don't be too hard on Toshiba. I've had great success with many of their products. Kudos to the insane genius who decided to put his computer in a freezer. 

NoLongerAFan

I, like everyone else, am having this problem that is not recognized by Toshiba (even though AJWD brought this forum to their attention back in December 2010.) 

I tried the voodoo freezer fix and had no luck.  My power on button will light up as will the power and battery lights on the front of the keyboard.  Other than that, I get nothing.  I bought my NB205-312 (the blue one) back in that horrible batch from August 2009.  I first started having problems with it in March, 2010.  It ended up dying completely on me and I sent it in under warranty in July 2010.  They replaced the motherboard and it worked fine until May 2011.  It is now completely dead again.

I would be more than happy to try the BIOS fix, but I have to be able to turn it on in order to do that.  I've tried freezing it.  I've tried pinching the pinche netbook (yes, that is a spanish word to express my dissatisfaction.)  Nothing works.  It is a just an expensive brick. 

I called up Toshiba and they told me it is not a known issue.  If you stick your head in the sand it is not a known issue.  Since when is ignorance an excuse?  Due to me being more than a bit pissed off with their shoddy workmanship, I have started a blog to vent my frustration.  Feel free to check it out:  toshibasucks dot wordpress dot com. 

Help give it some credibility and voice your frustration as well.  Maybe we can actually make Toshiba pull their heads out of the sand (although I would say it is lodged somewhere else.)

robmccannon

I may have narrowed down the problem with my NB205. I'm an engineer and don't give up easily

on things like this.

I noticed a few months ago that the battery life seemed to be going down and just figured it was

due to the age of the battery. About a week ago the netbook started exhibiting the symptoms that

others have described.

1- I had become slack in making sure that the (non spring loaded) battery retainer was snapped

in the lock position. If the battery is not FULLY inserted and locked the charge indicator says that

the battery is fully charged (green light). I think this is due that the charge circuit

looking at voltage and if the battery load is not connected the voltage goes to max and the charge indicator

turns green even if the battery is not fully (or at all) charged.

If Windows is set to HIBERNATE a low voltage (dead battery) makes the thing instantly go into hibernate

mode when powered up. I also noticed that the USB jack next to the Ethernet jack supplied power to

the mouse even if the machine is off. If left with the mouse plugged in the mouse's LED could drain the

battery. I disabled hibernate in Control Panel.

I also took the thing apart and noticed that a component (resistor maybe) had unsoldered itself

on one end possibly due to heating (not sure about that).

Some have remarked about heatsink grease on the processor. The Atom cpu has NO heatsink. I'm not

sure what's under the fan shroud but it's NOT the processor.

Also the battery contacts seem to have less gripping power than I would like. Possibly replacing

the battery with one that has new contacts might help. I haven't tried that yet.

This computer has been extremely usefull and I'm not ready to give up on Toshiba yet. There is

no reason to think that any other brand is any more reliable. My biggest concern is the soldering

on the PCB. Thanks to the morons in Brussels,Toshiba and others cannot use the lead based solder

that has been used for 100 years reliably in fear that some of us are going to eat our computers.

One of these little computers have more processing power than existed on earth when I was growing up

in the 60's.

CBHardt

I am also having the same issues (unable to turn on NB205).  Tried freezer, refrig, flex motherboard, all to no avail.  On hold with customer support for the second time today to see if I can get anywhere (in the escalation queue).  Also purchased in July 2009, had a motherboard replaced under warranty in June 2010, but out of warranty now.  On hold for what was an estimated 5 minute wait time, which has now grown to almost 15...

CBHardt

Well, got through to the escalation area, but as stated previously on this forum, this is not "recognized" as a known issue or defect with the NB205.  When I asked how I would go about escalating this issue on my own, I was told that "this department does not escalate calls".  When I asked if there was any way that I could forward my concerns about this, I was told no.  Must be nice...

HR
HR

Update the bios was the solution for me.

CBHardt

This might also work for me if I could power it on

drdoncohen

Okay...add me to list list of annoyed people....however annoyed person with an answer.

I tried all the previous things such as bending the board, using the g-spot, chanting to the Toshiba gods...nothing...  but the below seemed to fix:

Embarrassing but true....had to freeze the computer for 20 min.  Crazy condensation...yes...but all okay.

After booting up...updated the bios to v2.1 through the link below  (it looks like it will put you to v1.5 but upgrades further).   1 day of flawless and much faster performance.

Adds a new dimension to the term 'flash-freeze"...  in this case...freeze then flash.  Sorry for the joke but

http://gigaom.com/mobile/toshiba-netbooks-bios-upgrade/

Good luck all

Don

SloppyJAA

• The Toshiba NB205 died the same way in January.... just out of warranty. I would not be beaten because it had hardly been used. I read all threads on this problem and tried everything. Stripped it down at least 4 times and bought a new heat-sink.... still the same. Had it looked at by a 3rd party technician in July and they confirmed it needed a new motherboard. Just before binning it yesterday I thought I would see if there were any "updates" on this problem from either Toshiba (guess what.... silence !) or forums. I was encouraged (sorry) to see so many more people have the same experience. This gave me the incentive to try boot up once more. A short freezer session did not work for me. A long one did... it booted up ! Amazed ! I quickly updated the BIOS and backed up the files. I have it infront of me as I write this and have managed to shut down and start up several times now. I will keep testing over next few days. Meanwhile, we had to buy a replacement. It was an ASUS because TOSHIBA YOU NEED TO ADMIT YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. You clearly know about it because more recent models do not have the problem. A design problem is nothing to be ashamed of if you handle it correctly. It is when you try to ignore it (or bury it) that turns customers away from ANY Toshiba product...... for ever.
robolivares

Re: NB205 won't turn on properly - a clue? a fix?

Hi,

The solution from pizzafoundry is the way to go. After updating the BIOS, I haven't had this problem anymore. 

Of course, there is one huge caveat, and that is making the computer turn on first. I didn't do any of the extreme solutions, such as freezing it, but I did remove the battery a couple of times and it worked. Another trick that worked for me was to drain the battery and then turn the system on. 

So, the bottom line is: update the bios as soon as you are able to turn on your computer :smileyhappy: