heylega1
Accepted Solution

NB205 won't turn on properly

Worked fine for a month...now

When I power on, power switch light comes on, power LED on, hard disk spins for about 2 sec then stops. Screen doesn't light up, and machine doesn't boot. Power switch light and LED tays on. If plugged in, external and battery LEDs are on.   Almost like it's in a permanent in sleep mode. Same result wheteher it's plugged in or not.

There's pleny of power, I can actually hear it running.

Occasional Advisor
Techman

Re: NB205 won't turn on properly

Maybe it is in a sleep mode.  Try powering it on.  Then while it is on, press and hold the power button for ten seconds.  It should power off while you are holding the button.  Then power on and see what happens.

This signature left intentionally blank.
tetrapyloctomy

Any success with this error?  My NB205-310 just started doing the same thing several days ago; purchased it on 8/03/09.  I had upgraded the RAM but it worked for three months before this error occurred, and persisted after I swapped in the original memory chip.

I was able to get it to boot twice -- both times it looked like the wireless light illuminated on successful boots while on eight bazillion failed boots it does not.  The HDD light turns on briefly and then shuts off.  The backlight never turns on.  No BIOS screen or anything.  It does this on battery power alone, on AC power alone and while both are attached.  Holding 0 at power-one does nothing.  I've tried removing the battery pack and AC power and holding the power button for seven minutes while standing on one hand, et cetera.

sokoll99

Guys, I just posted this in response to another question by seneca cause it sounded like he had a similar/identical issue (he mentioned the "blue red blue off" drive light combination I get when the machine dies) not trying to spam or anything just trying to get to the bottom of this issue cause it is causing me pain too and what you are describing with the drive actually spinning up then turning off (like someone just yanked the cord out of the wall) is very similar to what mine is doing...

[previous post]

I am not a PC professional and I am having the same problem with an A205 - S 5000.  This is the second Toshiba laptop I have owned.  The first developed a similar problem at age 8 years (yeah that one made it to ripe old age) however my A205 is about a year and a half old and is having the same issue.

I wish I could be more scientific about this but I have figured out how to get the thing to work 9 times out of 10 so try this:

1. Set your laptop down on a smooth hard surface.

2. Put your left hand on the lower left of the case equidistant between the touch pad and the left edge of the case. About 1" below the key board and press lightly, not too hard but you should feel the plastic give just a little. (sometimes I have to use my thumb to give it a little upward pull at the front edge at the same time.

3. Turn the power on with your right hand and keep your hand in place through startup...when you remove your hand do so gently.

9 times out of 10 it works on my machine, if your surface is hard and smooth (I use a glass table top, or a polished wood surface)  the pads will grip the surface and when you pull your hand away it will hold position for a good while.

I have also been able to get this to work in my lap by pressing on that general spot and lifting up gently on the front edge at the same time with my thumb. 

On my last Toshiba I had to apply pressure on the top and bottom to get it to work once the problem showed up but as I said this didn't become a problem until it was ancient.  I have searched everywhere trying to find out what the issue is but so far no luck.  I know it isn't the power jack because the AC lights never flicker just the drive lights and the PC power on light.  The drive light is a blue/red/blue off combination and it can happen at anytime whenever the PC feels the need: as soon as I press the button, midway through startup, when I am typing my password, three hours later when I am on the web, or when it is in sleep mode.

The only theory I have at this point is it has something to do with an electrical contact on the access hatches underneath the machine (I don't even know if those are wired into the power supply chain at all so this is not gospel by any means).  The main reason I suspect this is because the first time it happened to me I removed the hatches to make sure nothing had been shaken loose (nothing was) but I made sure all the hatches were put into place carefully and any metal parts that looked like they should contact, were in contact.  When I turned it back over it fired right up no issues.  With that and my previous experience with a similar problem this is what I came up with.

Hope it helps but I would love to hear the real reason this is happening...on the older laptop the drive was on the front left so I just thought it was a problem with the drive pulling away minisculely and causing the PC to hang at startup.  On this computer I don't remember exactly cause it has been about three months since I took this one apart but I seem to remember the drive being on the right. 

So I don't know what is causing the problem but it seems to be some sort of structural mechanical issue with the case and the parts inside it not maintaining contact.

I have been searching forums everywhere for a reason that this might be occurring but so far I have been completely unable to find out.

mookieboy

I was got an NB 205 last week.  Started to have the same problem.   I had put the computer into hibernate and it simply would not turn back on.  No bios.  No nothing.

I had installed a 2MB memory card (from Crucial) and when I took it out and put back the original 1MB card, the problem went away.  Don't know if it will come back again, but it did seem to fix the problem, at least for now

troubledNB

This is BS!! This problem has happened to several people, including myself, and no one from toshiba will help. Last time I buy toshiba. *Wonders what Sony has out.*

mannyfernandez

Re: NB205 won't turn on properly (FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!)

[ Edited ]

OK, I am here to veryify the fix:

the problem is as follows:

1) you go to turn on laptop, the fan and HHD light come on for about 1-2 seconds before shutting off.  Then you get BLACK SCREEN - no boot up, no nothing.  Your plugged in, battery in, not a power issue.

This problem happened to me AFTER I changed the ram to 2mb from 1mb.  Once I did this (upgraded ram) I noticed that the computer would shut off imeediately after I unplugged it from AC power.  Normally I would just boot up again, but over time it began to give me what I describe in #1 above.

The ONLY KNOWN FIX TO THIS PROBLEM is the "G-SPOT FIX" of squeezing the lower left quadrnt of the laptop.  I know, this SUCKS but it WORKS.

Step 1:

Take OUT the battery and only use the AC power.

Next squeeze in the general area right above the SD card slot (lower left)  I squeezed firm, squeezing and releasing many times as I powered on.  After about 4 times it worked.

Verified fix.  I have no idea why it works.

Never buy Toshiba again.

...A laptop with a g-spot....

yogi1ab

I have been running into the same vexing problem: My Toshiba NB 205 gets stuck in hibernation mode! I have tried (at least 10 times) holding down the on/off button for several seconds until proper "shut" down should have occurred, then waiting and trying to power it back on, but no dice. It remains in hibernation. I have even unplugged the AC power, removed the battery for about 20 minutes or so. Often times this seems to do the trick and it somehow resets itself. But last night I removed the battery overnight, hoping this would enable it to start up this morning. Nope! If this thing ever turns back on, I will completely disable the hibernation feature since I am inclined to think this has something to do with the power-saving Toshiba software. I had it set to hibernate when you close the laptop, and since I did that, no reboot has been possible. This is really a pain in the rumpus! I bought this notebook new June 2009.

dkenison

Re: NB205 won't turn on properly (FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I've been having the problem with powering on for the past month or 6 weeks.  I eventually get it to work, but it's SO frustrating.  I'm eager to try the lower-left pressure point next time I need to reboot.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Someone else mentioned a possible link to the RAM upgrade.  I did the 2G upgrade and it worked just fine for many months before this started happening.

It would be nice if Toshiba would admit to a defect of some kind.

yogi1ab

Re: NB205 won't turn on properly - OFFICIAL TOSHIBA TECH SUPPORT SOLUTION

[ Edited ]

Ok, just got off the phone with 1-800-Toshiba tech support since my computer is still under its 1-year warranty. Here's what they told me:

1: Turn off computer

2: Remove AC plug and battery

3: Hold down the on/off button for 10 seconds (this discharges residual power from the laptop).

4: Plug in AC plug (leave the battery out) and switch back on.

Bingo! Worked for me. Hope it helps others get out of the same jam.

*** Sorry sokoll99 & mannyfernandez: Pressing down a part of the laptop over the SD card slot is not only voodoo, but could damage your laptop. I would advise against anyone doing that. ***

Also: I agree with you dkenison:  It would be nice if Toshiba admitted to a flaw somewhere. I did ask them if this could be a (power management) software-related problem. The guy just said "Well, sometimes these things happen." Yeah. Way to sidestep.

=====================

UPDATE 04/16/10 - NOSEHAIR IN THE PUNCH BOWL: Laptop is having the same EXACT problem as before: power button lit, but no HDD activity, and blank/black screen. The above remedy no longer works. When I called back tech. support they said I would have to ship it back for repairs! This really really bites.

=====================

UPDATE 06/03/10 - I finally had to mail my notebook back for warranty repairs. They were able to determine that my issue was caused by a faulty main circuit board (Part #N8LBXMS_HL), which they had to replace. They were unable to determine the cause! I strongly suggest for those who are having this problem, and whose notbooks are registered and still under its first year of warranty, to send their laptop in for repairs. For more info: www.nbr.toshiba.com 

rosebudd77

I went through all this recently.  Bought my NB205 in Feb, used it a handful of times.  Took it on the road when I needed it and it booted to the blank screen w/a mouse.  Called tech support and after 7 minutes of diagnostics (if you want to call it that) they said the HDD was bad.  Now have to put down another 20 bones on a netbook just to have it working.  It's BS man.  They will pay to ship it back,  but they got me over the barrel. 

dkenison

I'm now locked out and none of the solutions listed work.  ARGH

At least I backed it up completely before my last attempt at restart.

stalonis

I am having this exact issue and have found a way to get it to start up more consistently... I know its going to sound funny but trust me... The first time this happened to my NB205 I noticed it was kind of warm so I put it in the freezer for a while to cool it down and it started up.... now everytime I shut down completely, my netbook WILL NOT start up UNLESS it gets cooled down quite a bit. It can be off for 4 days and not start but if I put it in the freezer for about a half hour itll boot right up..... very odd... so I spoke to some computer gurus aaaaaaand the general concesus is that there is a defect in the amount of Thermal Paste holding the heat sink on to the processor... when a computer starts it gives an initial burst of heat or power to that area to make sure its dissipating heat properly and if the test comes back positive it will continue the boot sequence... if it fails it stop............. Im tired of backing up my system just to restart. I just close the lid and make it go into stby mode. its been on for months now haha..... put it in the freezer for a while and try it out.... let me know if it works for you 

yogi1ab

Yikes! You actually put yours in the FREEZER? That could cause even more problems with condensation/water forming on the internal parts when you bring it back to room temperature.

I would strongly recommend, to those who are having this non-reboot issue, mailing back your notebook to Toshiba for warranty repairs if it registered and still under warranty. See www.nbr.toshiba.com for how to do this. I just had mine repaired: they replaced a faulty main circuit board.

shawc

I purchased my Netbook in August 2009 and it's been working fine up until recently.

Over the past two weeks, when I turn my computer on, the power indicates that the computer is running, but the screen remains black. So, I turn it off and then try again. The second time it boots up fine -- not so last night.  I turned the computer off and it won't start up.  The hard disk drive light is lights up for a couple of seconds and I can hear the fan, but the screen is black. I've tried some of the quirky tricks posted on the forum but none of them have worked.

I called Toshiba this morning and they assured me that this problem was unique to my computer.  Hmm.  Seems like a lot of other people are having the same problem.  Why do they have to lie?  They've lost my trust and my loyalty to the brand. This is my last Toshiba. 

digsretro

I've been having this same issue as everyone else, NB205 won't start back up after being shut down properly.  It just started two days ago.  Twice I let it sit for a while and it started up fine after that.  Last night it wouldn't start at all no matter what, even after leaving it overnight to cool off I couldn't get it to start in the morning.  

Then I tried all the fixes listed here, the G-spot method, unplugging it, taking the battery off and pressing the power button to 'dissipate the electricity'.  Nothing worked until I decided to put it in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes, then it booted right up!

A side note, I live in Florida and we've been having record heat here, so maybe that's the issue.

I don't know but I did see another post about downloading a flash bios fix from Toshiba but I don't see that download available for my exact OS and model. (Windows XP SP3, NB205-N313/P)

I hope I don't have to send mine in for repairs and I'm not sure mine is even still under warranty, I bought it March 1st, 2010.

rzapalac

Hello all -

I just registered to say thank you for these suggestions. My computer experienced the same issue and I tried the quick cool down method in the freezer. It is working now. I can only assume that our laptops have some type of overheating "thermostat" that keeps it from going to far. I just wanted to say thanks very much for the suggestion!

Try the cool down method - it might work for you too!

digsretro

I think putting it in the freezer is overkill, three to five minutes in the fridge works like a charm.  Also I've had success with setting it in front of my window a/c unit while I was in the shower. The other day I was at a pub and it wouldn't boot so I had the bartender put it in the cooler for a few minutes.

Just now in my office it wouldn't boot so I set a small desk fan in front of it for about 10 minutes, then it started up fine.

Frustrated in Florida

profedeseattle

Bought my NB205 in Aug 2009, just before coming to Chile.  Ran fine until one week after end of warranty.  Then I got the symptoms so many others are describing,  starts to boot for about 3 seconds, then shuts down and won't continue booting.  It's an interesting coincidence, but several of the units described with this problem were sold in Aug 2009. I also noticed how hot the unit was, so I first bought a fan cooler to set it on.  That didn't do it, so I tried the refrigerator, and voila!  I am now putting the unit in stand-by when not in use and about once a week it gets shut down and reboots fine after 20 mins in the fridge.  If I don't cool it first, no bootup!!!  I don't know if I can get service here in Chile during my summer vacation (I'm a college prof.) and whether that will be cost effective.  Otherwise it goes in the trash.  Such a shame since Toshiba has had a great reputation for years.  One year of service is just not very much.....

AJWD

NB205 start up problem

Netbook Manufactured  6/09    bought 8/09

After 15 months of use unit started locking up at initial Toshiba screen. no mouse. no response from F2/F12  Does not load Windows.
Sometimes if left unused it boots completely and will run and operate successfully for a long as you want  BUT will not restart if shut down.
None of the suggested power options in this forum  make any difference ~  power up with or without battery, with or without 120V power. Battery shows fully charged

Official response from Toshiba is to reload windows ~  big pain and not a cure if machine sometimes runs Windows successfully.

Tried various variants of the freeze treatment discussed in this section.  The simplest is to take a cold ice pack from the fridge and sit the NB205 on it for 5 minutes and the machine will start and run perfectly every time.

I think  Stalonis was correct in a previous post when he said

" the general consensus is that there is a defect in the amount of Thermal Paste holding the heat sink on to the processor... when a computer starts it gives an initial burst of heat or power to that area to make sure its dissipating heat properly and if the test comes back positive it will continue the boot sequence... if it fails it stop...."

When next discussed with Toshiba Tech Support  I was directed to a Toshiba Repair Center. Luckily there is a facility within 5 miles of my house.  Will keep forum posted on my success.