Occasional Contributor
esmm2011

Laptop won't charge battery but works without the battery

So as soon as my warranty ran out, my battery stopped charging. The LEDs at the bottom left of the laptop show me that the laptop is plugged ( 1st LED) but the LED indicating that the laptop as well as the one indicating that the battery is charging are both flashing. If I take the battery off it works fine. If I live the battery on, it will drain the battery and shut off. All this while plugged. A few of my friends that own a Toshiba are having the same problem. I'm getting a new laptop next year ( definitely not a Toshiba), I just wanna know what's wrong with it.

SteveWarren

Re: Laptop won't charge battery but works without the battery

I got a message this week on the 15-month anniversary of my laptop that the battery isn't holding a charge well and needs to be replaced - at a cost of $130-150.  I'll have to start shopping for something cheaper but compatible, if it exists.  Toshiba has lost another customer.

Peter

Please include your full model number when posting problems on the forums. It can be found on the bottom of your laptop.

Batteries do wear out over time, so it's possible your battery has just died.

Try this. Turn off your laptop, unplug all wires, remove the battery, and hold the power button for thirty seconds. Afterwards, reattach the battery and connections. This can fix some problems with batteries.

- Peter
SteveWarren

Model No. A665 S6054

I tried removing the battery as suggested but it did no good.  I guess I'll just keep it plugged in.

It doesn't speak well of Toshiba technology that a battery only lasts 15 months.  If I should replace it, are there any tips for prolonging a battery's life?

Peter

I hear a few different opinions. For example, some people believe that running it down until it's low once a month is good for the battery, but I don't know for sure that there's anything in particular you need to do.

With your computer, it might be an issue with the charging mechanism rather than the battery, but you won't be able to know without another battery to test.

- Peter
SteveWarren

So I might spend $129.95 plus shipping for a new battery, only to find out 15 months later the battery wasn't the problem at all?  Yeah, that'll make me a happy Toshiba owner.

My last laptop was an Acer.  I kept it plugged in all the time because I didn't know any better and the battery went bad in record time.  When I bought the Toshiba I went the opposite route and left it unplugged for long periods every day.  It looks like I just can't afford to operate a laptop off a battery, so as long as it works off electrical current I'll go that route.

larrymctex

I have the same problem, and have been seeing on some forums that there's a problem if you reload (or load a newer version) of Windows.  It's something about a Toshiba proprietary program that only runs with the factory version of Windows.

SteveWarren

I broke down in January and bought a new battery (@ $79.95) from LaptopPartsZone.com.

So far so good.  I plug it in until it's more or less fully charged, then unplug it until it's below 20% or so.  We'll see if it outlasts the original.