Occasional Contributor
tommy_vercetti

Laptop won't boot when plugged in

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Thanks to this forum, I've isolated the problem with my wife's laptop.  It will not boot when plugged in, but it will when on battery power.  I've tried several different power adapters and they are all the same--it won't boot when plugged in.  If I plug in the power adapter when the computer is running it freezes.  The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5804.

I've been told that the problem stems from the "system board."

I am a little bit unfamiliar with this part of the computer.  Is the "system board" the same as the motherboard?  Is this a part I can switch out myself?  Is it worth doing?

I've done other hardware replacements on a Toshiba Satellite before.

Thanks,

sa

Peter

Re: Laptop won't boot when plugged in

The system board and motherboard refer to the same part. Keep in mind that many separate parts of a desktop might be part of the same board in a laptop. It's not officially user-replaceable.

- Peter
sn0wm0nkey

I'm having the same issue with my Toshiba Satellite Pro A200. 

It wont boot when the power cable is plugged in, unless it's in safe mode. If it's running on battery, it will boot fine normally, but as soon as I plug the power cable in, it freezes. While on battery power, I've uninstalled EVERYTHING. If I boot windows on battery power, then plug it in, it's fine if I dont do anything, but as soon as I do something like open IE, try to shut it down, etc, it freezes.

So to summarise, everything has been uninstalled, safe mode and battery works fine, but plugged in freezes the laptop.

Anyone got any ideas?

Peter

What's your full model number? What version of Windows are you using?

Let's test something. In the Start menu's search box, type "msconfig" and press ENTER. Select "Selective Startup" on the "General" tab. Uncheck "Load Startup Items." Click the "Services" tab. Check "Hide All Microsoft Services." Click "Disable All," and then click "OK." You'll now need to restart your computer.

If this allows you to boot into normal Windows, you'll know some program was stopping it from working correctly.

- Peter
willconmarsh

Hi,

I have a satellite pro A200 that shows power but will not boot. I did a clean instal of windows on a new hard drive and it was working with basic drivers. I downloaded the latest ones from toshiba support and when i came to restart it would not boot. It starts to show the hard drive icon flash for a few seconds but no display appears. The fan then starts to work for 10-15 seconds but nothing happens. I downloaded all drivers including the bios flash. I have tried reseating and changing the memory but can not get anything to boot, i cant even get into the bios to try anything. Any help would be appreciated

Peter

willconmarsh, try this.

Turn off your laptop, unplug all wires, remove the battery, and hold the power button for thirty seconds. Afterwards, reattach the battery and connections.

- Peter
willconmarsh

HI,

Thanks for the idea, i have tried that for quite a while tonight and the same is happening. The hard drive light still powers on for a second or two then nothing. Is it likely the motherboard is dead?

Thanks

Will

Peter

You (or anyone else reading this thread) might want to check out the DIY troubleshooting tool, which has a section on "My laptop will not start or display is blank."

However, it does seem that you have a hardware failure of some sort. The tool should help you figure out if it's the AC adaptor or the laptop itself.

- Peter
BMN
Occasional Contributor
BMN

As Peter has pointed out, this is indeed a hardware problem. You may have to replace NEC-TOKIN Proadlizer as suggested here http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteries-and-Power/Satellite-A205-S5800-freezes-when-AC-power-cord-is-... for A205-S5800.

tardisblue

I have the exact same problem with my Toshiba Satellite C655, operating on Windows 7. When it's already on, and I plug it in, it will go to Standby and won't boot up again unless I unplug it. 

Nabeel

Hi there guys! I have a problem and I really need it fixed quick! I have a Toshiba satellite L305-S5894 and just recently my laptop stopped booting. In further detail, the laptop turns on, but when it gets to the black screen with a grey dash line in the corner, it stays on it forever and it wont continue past that! Any help would be appreciated! Im desperate and I really need it fixed.

Peter

tardisblue, Nabeel, you should both try this first.

Turn off your laptop, unplug all wires, remove the battery, and hold the power button for thirty seconds. Afterwards, reattach the battery and connections.

- Peter
tardisblue

Tried it, didn't work. 

karmjits

Thanks Peter! I had same problem with my laptop that it was getting freezed when plugged in and could not boot. My tech friend told me that i had bad hard drive and i spent $150 on new hard drive but problem was still there. With 'config' it solved my problem. Then I again selected the 'normal startup' and now it is still working nicely. I have no words to say thanks to you for help. Cheers! :smileyhappy:
tardisblue

What's 'config'?

Peter

He's probably referring to this post.

- Peter
tardisblue

All of the things were already disabled. If this is such a common problem, I can't understand why a quicker fix hasn't been found yet. This is kind of ruining my life.

Peter

It's not a particularly common problem.

It sounds like you have a hardware failure. It might be the AC adaptor, or it might be the laptop itself. I'd sugget you seek servicing.

- Peter
mharrisv

Thanks so much....that process worked.   Mitch

llm32

similar provlem myself. my battery has more or less died to the point where it only worked with the power adaptor. however the pin on the power adaptor had broke. Aftee replacing the power adaptor yesterday the laptop seemed to be working fine until suddenly it cut out. I checked all was connected and tried to turn it on again. However, during booting up it cut of again and then the green power and orange power button began flashing alternatively. i disconnected all power inc. the battery, held in power button for 30secs then reconnected all but no luck.i have also tried powering using just the power cord and no battery and when power button is pressed the power light comes on then goes of again but no sign of the laptop trying to come on. When the battery and power lead is in and its booting there seems to be a clicking sound coming from inside somewhere. But then as I mentioned it cuts off and the power and battery lights begin blinking again. HELP!!!