Bradley88

Laptop will not recognize AC Power with Battery installed.

I have a Satellite A110 laptop that will operate on battery and operate on AC power only with the battery removed. 

The problem: when the AC adapter is plugged in with the battery installed, the laptop will continue to drain the battery and not charge.

symptoms:  Power meter says the laptop is on "battery" power while plugged in to AC power.  Laptop will run on AC adapter with battery removed.  With battery installed and AC plugged in laptop will continue to depleat battery until hibernation.  No temperature alarms.  No prior issues with battery or AC cord.

My attempts:  Wiggled cord, Replaced Battery with new, Updated BIOS, Numerous Shutdowns and Restarts, Battery removal/replacement.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

krmille4

Re: Laptop will not recognize AC Power with Battery installed.

I have the same problem with my Satellite M65. When it is plugged in, the battery can still be drained and when it reaches critical battery power it keeps beeping at me even though the laptop can't shut off because it's plugged it. If anyone knows how to fix this, I'd greatly appreciate the help!

Regular Advisor
Defender

Laptop operates on AC, when battery is removed--correct procedure. Feabile the problem lies within the power adapter itself/on board connector could be center of concern.  Did you reset the Power Options? Try:

BATTERY PLUGGED IN/NOT CHARGE

1.    Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager .

2.    Expand the Batteries category.

3.    Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft  ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall .
WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.

4.    On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes .
Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .
Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. The notebook should now indicate that the battery is charging.

Bradley88

Thanks Defender.  I reset the Power Options per your instructions without success.  Any other suggestions?  Do you think it in the adapter/connection?

Brad

Regular Advisor
Defender

Feasible Bradley the power adapter or the on board connection( I think the later) is center of concern.  Take to Service Center for a full diagnostic, peace of mind and get a repair warranty.