Greetine

Laptop shuts off and won't turn on after sleep

I just got my my new laptop as a graduation present this week it is a Toshiba Satellite L755-S5110. The problem is that when i put it to sleep it goes to sleep but when i want to use it again i press the power button and it turns off. I mean completely and won't turn on i press and hold it for 30 seconds, charge it press the power and nothing, unless i REMOVE the BATTERY and put it back in to my laptop it starts up and does the whole "shut of unexpectedly Start windows normally etc... I don't know why this happens, it is annoying it's happened for 8-12 times now i put it to sleep press power button turns of, i have to remove the battery for it to turn on. Help please...

Peter

Re: Laptop shuts off and won't turn on after sleep

Does it ever work properly? If so, do you notice anything that you do beforehand differently the times it works?

- Peter
Greetine

no it works great, but that is the only problem my laptop does shut off like i said randomly. Sometimes i put it to sleep press the power button and it wont turn on and sometimes it does turn on normally. No there is no thing that i do that maybe causes it sometimes i use my computer to play minesweeper, go online, print a paper, and put it to sleep and sometimes it turns off and sometimes it doesn't. I am now annoyed what if i am doing a paper put it to sleep to go eat and press the power to turn it on and it shuts off? i will lose everything i was workign on previously (it hasn't happened yet). I don't know what the problem is.

Peter

What I meant was, was there a time that it never malfunctioned and always came out of sleep okay? I realize you just got it, so that doesn't leave us a large window.

Try opening the Start Menu, typing "command" in the search box, right-clicking "Command Prompt," and selecting "Run as administrator." In the Command Prompt that opens, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes and press ENTER.

Let me know if that helps.

- Peter
Jayne

I am having the same problem with my Satellite C660-2Q8 which is less than 8m old.  It was very sluggish (slow windows), then began going into sleep mode.  Same problem as all the above.  I've tried battery fully charged, battery out/in, tested surfaces/electrics etc.  I can't even switch it on now.  The green light comes on for 2-3 seconds then goes off.  The screen remains off. 

Peter

Jayne, it sounds like your issue is a bit different. Try this. Turn off your laptop, unplug all wires, remove the battery, and hold the power button for thirty seconds. Afterwards, reattach the battery and connections.

If that doesn't work, you should contact Toshiba in your region. It appears your laptop is from the UK, and this site only officially supports the US.

- Peter
Greetine

Yeah i said before that my laptop does once in a while turn on from sleep fine but sometimes it shut off completely and then i have to remove the battery and put it back in. I tried right now to do your "Command prompt" then admin, powercfg -restoredefaultschemes etc... but nothing happens it just takes me to a system32 thing "C:Windows\system32>". 

Peter

Try using System Restore to restore a previous restore point from before this became an issue. Because it's intermittent and so new, we can't be sure whether not the issue was there from the start. Just pick the earliest restore point that's available.

- Peter
Greetine

alright i'll give it a try

gsapatka

I'm having the same issue with my Wife's L755-S5167.  She closes the lid, putting it to sleep, comes back a half hour later and the computer is dead.  She will have to remove the battery to turn it back on, then it states that it was not properly shut down.  Any reasons for this?  Anybody find a fix?

BenButton

I am having the same problem with my daughter's Satellite T230D. If I let the laptop sleep, then it will not turn on again. I have read on other forums to hold down the power button for several minutes with the battery removed in order to release a static charge that has been created. Once it has been restarted, it displays the message "Shut off unexpectedly" and asks "restart normally?" This works sometimes but it is inconvenient to the pont that we do not use an otherwise excellent computer.

Peter

BenButton, can you check the full model and part numbers from the label on the bottom? Does it do that every time it sleeps?

- Peter
BenButton

Peter,

Model: T230D -00J

Part Num: PST4LC-00J003

Yes, every time it sleeps.

Ben

Peter

Unfortunately, I don't have information on that model because it's not a Toshiba USA product. I believe it's from Toshiba Canada. You should contact them.

- Peter
BenButton

Thanks for your help