stormchaser88

Laptop shut down and won't charge the battery

I just got this laptop for my wife. The battery seemed ok and was charging fine until the other day. When my wife turned the laptop on, (it was plugged into the AC cord) it said that the battery had only 10 minutes left and then shut itself down, even though it was still plugged in to the AC power adapter. 

Now it won't turn on at all. When you press the power button, the battery light on the front just flashes amber for a couple of seconds and goes out. I am assuming that the battery has gone bad, but our other laptop has a bad battery but still powers up if I have it plugged into the AC power. Any help would be appreciated. The owners manual for this new laptop isn't really clear about a blinking battery light. It just talks about the blinking AC power light. Thanks.

Regular Advisor
nicholaiCUTE

Re: Laptop shut down and won't charge the battery

if the battery light is flashing.. it just mean that the battery is out of charge...

no light for AC???

have you tried a different ac adapter?

because most likely it is your ac adapter.

-----------------------
oOo
*Read EULA before installing any software.
:smileywink:
Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Hello.

I have had to resolder two connectors on their respective MoBo as they get "jerked" around quite a bit, you know. Try wingling the connector into its socket to see if you will get the AC LED to come on. If you still do not, try a loaner power supply, they do, like all electronic stuff, die.

Toshibas are nominally 15 V and + center. Check yours.

pcdochelps

I have the same problem on a Satellite M305. Usually when this problem occurs on most laptops it is because the DC power jack that is soldered on to the motherboard has come loose which I have resoldered back on on many other laptops. However, on this laptop the DC power jack is a separate component and simply plugs in to the motherboard just like the rest of the hardware. I disconnected and reconnected all of the plugs and nothing works. I have checked everything that I can think of and I am lost. Please Help!

Thanks

John

PC Doc

mezzati

Re: to message

I Bought new battrey placed to my laptop,it would not get charged after 16 hours syill the light blinks

thank you for helping

technoob

Hey guys, newbie here

I have something similar goin on on my side. The other night, my laptop was on and suddenly I smelled something burn. I got up, picked my laptop and could tell it was coming from it. I turned it off and went back to bed.

I woke up the next morning, it fired right up and that smell was there again. I worked on it for a lil bit and it just died all of a sudden. Tried to turn it back on and no luck. Someone told me motherboard ir probably fried. Got it looked at and the guy said he saw no physical damage to the motherboard, but he wasn't able to understand why the battery wont hold a charge. He put my battery in his laptop and it charged just fine. Now here is the wierd part. He put his battery in my laptop and it started charging it. Yea I had no idea what was goin on. What he did was completly charge my battery on his laptop and gave it back to me. I used it for a little bit and boom, it died again.

When I take the battery out no lights light up as if its completly dead. You guys think the motherboard has gone kapeesh?

Occasional Contributor
krammer

If your battery is not charging and the techs is, then there is a problem with the cells of your BATTERY

pagaan65

I am having the same problem and I am used an old tech support trick to resolve. Toshiba is sending a box for my laptop but I am leery of sending it off...

Try this:

Charge you laptop with it upside down... That's right, you're not dreaming. Try it and let me know if it works.

Pagaan

xinlivu

Hi, Friends,

I have a similar problem:

I have a Satellite A305 laptop (PSAGCG-S6898).

Preface:  

The laptop could be overheated sometime since it was used by my daughter before the problem occurred.

Oberservations:

1) The machine cannot run until the battery runs out.
2).The machine cannot run with AC adapter connection but without battery. (is this a norm problem?)

3).It seems that the battery (new or old) cannot be charged, but the battery LED is still orange color, since after charging several hours, I start the computer and it automatically shuts off after several seconds when I press the power on button.

My questions:

Where is the problem? the charger or the charging circuit into the chase? 

Why the machine cannot run with AC adapter connection only (but without battery)? Many other laptops, such as Dell, they can run with AC adapter connection only.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated to: dr.xinlivu@gmail.com

Thanks.

rtazz2000

Ok folks this problem is more common than most people realize. Un-plug the power cord and remove the battery. Press and hold down the power button for a full two minutes. Ensure you hold the power button for the full 2 two minutes. replace the battery and plug in the power cord. This should fix your problem. I have fixed this problem on 2 two differant laptops (1 HP and 1 Toshiba)..

rwillie77

I have a Satellite A205 running Vista and initially my battery wouldn't charge while the machine was on but would charge when turned off.  It also wouldn't stay on for more than a few seconds when the battery was taken out and the A/C adaptor was plugged in.  Then today, it would not charge using the A/C adaptor even while the laptop was turned off.   So I started looking through this forum.  When I read the suggestion that I remove the battery and hold down the power switch for 2 minutes I thought that must be a joke.  However, being retired I had two minutes to spare and did just that, removed the battery, held the power button down for 2 full minutes. I was really surprised when I plugged in the A/C adaptor (without having reinstalled the battery) and the laptop booted up and stayed on.  So I shut down the laptop,  reinserted the battery and it started charging immediately.  It continued to charge after I turned it on and booted the OS.  Looks like a great solution.  I'll let you know if the problem returns.

Occasional Contributor
pctech33

Hi,

System Restore tool provided on Toshiba Satellite Pro T110 laptop can help you to restore the system to an earlier

date. The sudden shut down problem may occur if some important system files are missing. System Restore makes use of

the backup copies of important files in the restore point to replace faulty ones that are causing the sudden shut

down problem. Restoring the system to an earlier trouble free time will help get rid of the sudden shut down issue

in Toshiba Satellite Pro T110 laptop.

space101

Guys and Gals I know what the problem is.no imitation battery will work.YOU HAVE TO GET A TOSHIBA BATTERY.ANY OTHER BATTERY WILL JUST NOT WORK.MORE POWER MORE HEAT.I HAVE TRIED EVERY EXPERIMENT AND THIS IS THE ONLY ANSWER.YOU ASK ME WHY I DON KNOW.I HAD A SELLER SEND ME 2 NEW BATTERIES SAME RESULT.SHUT DOWN.IF THE BATTERY SAYS TOSHIBA YOUR PROBLEM IS GONE.THERES NO EXPLANATION OTHER FOR THESE MODELS WILL ONLY WORK AND NOT SHUT OFF WITH A TOSHIBA BATTERY.IVE SPENT ALL THE MONEY AND TESTED.IF YOU FOLLOW MY LEAD IT WILL WORK.