fayew1962

Re: Laptop says, "plugged in, charging" but it's not charging

I am having the same issue with my Satelite L645. It is only about a year old. I had noticed that the battery charge was wearing down a little quicker, but nothing out of the ordinary and I don't think enough to warrent replacing the battery. The hard reset helped slightly... now it actually charges, but will still wear down within a few min if I unplug it. I also unistalled the ACPI thing and did a restore to before the problem started. Any more suggestions, or should I just plan on getting a new battery? If so, any suggestions on how to make the new one last longer than a year?

Thank you!

billydkid

Dear peter,

i just did what you have recommended, turn off my laptop unplugged the wire, removed the battery and press for 30 sec, but nothing happened.... =( 

i have less than a day with the laptop.... 

Should i have to switch off the laptop in order to give the first charge to the battery???

i ve checked the user´s manual and i couldn´t find anything ´bout the battery nor anything related to this issue "plugged and charging" but nor charging.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you....

billydkid

What is the MS APCI???  Where can I find it??  I have a battery issue with my brand new satellite pro Toshiba laptop..

Thanks in advance

Best regard

Peter

fayew1962,

It does sound like a problem with the battery at this point. There's a lot of differing opinions on proper battery usage. I'm not sure on the validity if any of the theories honestly. Because your laptop is less than a year old, it's still covered under warranty. If you tell customer support that the battery is no longer holding a charge, you'll probably get it replaced.

billydkid,

Because it's that new, I'd just try to use the battery for a while first. Leave the battery in the computer with the computer off over night. The next day, use the laptop on battery without it being plugged into power. Use the battery until it's drained. Then charge it overnight again.

- Peter
lmd1020

Hi,

I had the exact same problem and tried all of the suggested remedies posted on various forums with no success. Just wanted to say thanks because your suggestion worked!!!!

Lavinia

abhask

looks like we all having same roblem with powermanagement,i have a c655-5229 first my charger went deadbrought a replacement,then my battery went dead or not charging,brought original ac adaptor no solution.replaced battery worked for 1 hour and drain the battery to zero.now the pc wont turn on at all,with even wall plug.come on for 10sec and shuts off.i was going to buy new pc.then i came here for last resort.i am not sure i will buy another toshiba.. sorry.can anyone help me.its

rakesh_atharva

Greetings,

I have toshiba satellite A-200, Its the same problem " 0% available (plugged in, charging) but actually its not charging,

i tried all the suggestions

shutdown, remove batt, discnnect all wires and power button hold for 30 sec or more at times reconnect... also tried to remove the ACPI ... kept the laptop off overnight on charge.. but all with no success..

when i connect the ac adaptor, the plugin blue light is on and the orange battery charging light is also on and stable...i appreciate your kind feedback as the laptop is good but out of warranty..

thanks in advance

Rakesh

CHUNK3Y_MUNK3Y

[ Edited ]

Peter, can you help me. I have tried all three solutions on that link you gave us. I am too young to contact anyone about it, and to be totally honest, all I want to do is play on World of Warcraft. :manfrustrated: 

I have never had this problem on any of my other laptops, and this is my first Toshiba. Not a good first impression, huh? Please could you find something I can do before I smash ANOTHER screen. I have already payed over 5 grand on screen repairs. :manlol:              Oops? XD.

I will be doing other things on my laptop so will it notify me when you reply?

rakesh_atharva

Jessica,

I wonder if your problem is solved, as it is very much similar to mine...

I guess , peters solutions has been worked for people having some charge remained in battery and since in our case the battery is 0% , it is not showing any success..

Peter,

i am sure you will come up with a solution for this one too

please note when i mouse over the battery indicator on task bar "0% available (plugged in, charging)"

Thanks

Peter

rakesh_atharva,

You may have a faulty battery. Try using the DIY troubleshooter by visiting acclaim self-service and clicking "get started" on the left-most column.

CHUNK3Y_MUNK3Y,

Lok'tar! Have you tried leaving it turned off overnight with the computer connected to let it charge?

- Peter
rakesh_atharva

Mr. Peter,

thanks

I have tried all the steps with a brand new battery as well which already had 59% of charge, i run the laptop on the this new battery without acpower upto 56% and later plug in ac ...no charging though..

Also i wanted to share one more thing which is weird for me...

when i kept the laptop off and connected to ac charging overnight, the red battery charging light stays on  but in the morning only the plugin light stays on... and when i login it says "battery not detected".. again when i restart it detects the battery and says ( 0% available, plugged in charging)

The battery point is cleaned, the laptop detects the battery ( the icon taskbar & the charging light on panel indicates that), the power charger is fine as the laptop is running fine in ac mode.. i had this problem once few months back.. that time these steps just worked for me...but i dont know whats the problem know...pls help me

Thanks

Rakesh

Scubadoog

I have, over the course of the past 1+ year, had all of these problems which I mostly ignored since I always used the computer while plugged in and stationary. 

Now, however, the laptop (a Satellite A215) shows no activity whatsoever when plugged into the adapter.  The light is on on the adapter, but there are no lights of any kind showing on the laptop. 

Could this just be that the battery is dead?  Or can a laptop run when it is plugged in and the battery is either dead or removed altogether?

The computer is out of warranty, but I hate the thought of writing it off as a loss since I really can't replace it.  Any suggestions? 

Peter

rakesh_atharva,

If you've tried multiple batteries, then it's unlikely to be a faulty battery. (Of course, you could have two bad ones I suppose.) As such, the laptop may have a hardware failure.

Scubadoog,

The laptop should be able to function just fine when connected to power and the battery removed. You may want to check the AC adaptor is functioning with a digital multimeter. If it is, it would be indicative of a hardware failure in the laptop.

- Peter
lallred

I just tried what is recommended: turn off my laptop unplugged the wire, removed the battery and press for 30 seconds and still nothing.  The battery shows plugged in but not charging.  I have tried the uninstalling of the battery driver thing as per the instructions but still nothing.  I am beginning to wonder if this laptop purchase was not a good idea.

Lee

Peter

Lee, it is possible that there's simply a problem with the battery. You may want to contact customer support at (800) 457-7777 to see what they think.

- Peter
Duke-Hart

I am having the same issue with my C655D.  Indicator says "plugged in and charging", while the battery percentage indicator goes lower and lower, until the computer eventually shuts off.  I've tried the hard reset, and tried uninstalling the ACPI Compliant Control.  Still the same problem.  The ACPI compliant control solution appears to work for a few seconds, but then the battery continues to discharge, even while plugged in.  I have to remove the battery and install in an identical computer in order to get it charged.  Have ruled out the AC adapter and the battery as the problems.  Any new information on fixing this problem?

Thank you.

redlineman22

Ok well mine is doing the same thing. When I take the battery out and unplug the power cord and hold the power button for 30 sec it works. but once it fully charged and it gets unplugged for a little while not sure how long it does the samething over again. as long as it plugged in it will maintain that percent of battery but will not come back up. So I have to do it all over again. What could that be? 

tek33

hi am new to the site but am having same problem with my L645  it says plugged in and charging but is actually discharging what seems to be happening ? never had anything like this before kind of stumped i have 2 batteries and it happens to both of them .peter i think this is for u  help please .

vtuggle

I have a Satellite L755D-S5204. I broke the original plug and began using an iGO plug that belongs to a friend while I waited for a new plug to arrive. The new plug arrived, so I plugged it in. It says, "Plugged in, charging" and all seems right with the world, but it is not charging; my battery is draining.

I plug the iGO back in and it charges my battery back up. I loan my new plug to my friend to see how it does on his laptop. He let his battery drain a bit before plugging it in; it charged his battery right up. We tested the plug and it is, indeed, giving out 19V. We can't test the amperage because his amp meter does not go to 3.42A, but we have ordered one, and it will be here in a few days. We suspect the amperage should be fine, though, since it charges his laptop, just not mine.

I reset the bios by using Peter's suggestion that I remove the battery and hold the power button for 30 seconds. That did not fix the problem. I tried the steps provided to remove the battery from the device manager and let the system reinstall the drivers, but that did not help, either.

I noticed that the power light and the battery light were both flashing amber whenever the new plug was used, but they were blue (or white-whatever that color is) when the iGO was plugged in, unless the battery was charging, of course, then the battery light was amber.

Last night I reset the bios again, charged the battery up fully with the iGO, then plugged in the new plug. The lights began flashing amber; I removed the new plug, waited a moment, then plugged it back in. The lights remained blue-white and the battery remained charged. I worked with it like that for about an hour before I got ready to go to bed. I checked the battery (still at 100%), locked the screen, closed my lid, and the lights remained as they ought to have. I opened it up again, just to check, and everything remained fine. I closed it all up again, and went on to bed.

When I got up this morning I found my laptop was cold and the battery was dead. The two lights were flashing amber again. After I plugged in the iGO and got my system back up again, I checked my programs and found that the system had been running until around 2:30 in the morning and then it just stopped. That must have been when the battery finished draining, so it probably stopped working about two hours after I went to bed.

I am charging the battery again. When it is charged, do you have any other tricks I can try besides the two you have already provided?

I am sorry that the note had to be so long. I tried to make it as straightforward as possible, but this is the nature of intermittent problems: you end with too many variables.

Thank you for your attention,

V Tuggle

Jim82

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have a Satellite L655-S5150.   This issue just started today out of the blue.  I´ve had the comp for well over a year and I replaced the battery 2 months ago.  Everything was fine last night.  It charged properly and had 3 hour battery life, etc.  Today, the battery doesnt work.  The icon says "0% available plugged in, charging"  but it is not charging.  If I unplug the charger, the comp shuts off immedietely.  Even the red battery light is lit.  I have tried removing the charger and battery and holding the power button in, I´ve restored to an earlier date when the comp was working correctly and I´ve uninstalled the driver.  Nothing has worked.  Any other suggestions?

Jim