adgiamet
Accepted Solution

Laptop says, "plugged in, charging" but it's not charging

I have a Satellite T134-1330 and it is a year and a half old. I was traveling, so my computer was stashed away for three weeks. When I got back, it was dead, but turned on when I plugged it in. Then I noticed later that it the battery was at 22% and not charging any more, yet it says it is. 

I tried taking it out and putting it back in, and I also tried draining the battery and then charging it. Now it just says, "0% remaining (plugged in, charging)"

I can't figure it out! I googled it and found someone with the same problem. Could the first response be the solution?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100703035214AA9YPb0

Thanks

Peter

Re: Laptop says, "plugged in, charging" but it's not charging

That is a solution that has worked in the past, so it's worth trying. Here's another thing you can try.

Turn off your laptop, unplug all wires, remove the battery, and hold the power button for thirty seconds. Afterwards, reattach the battery and connections.

- Peter
even

May be your switch is off

calathea

I've been having problems with the laptop being plugged in but then shutting down without warning from low battery. Just today my laptop shut off without warning so I started really paying attention to it, and I noticed that the battery icon would say "Plugged in, charging" but the charge was actually decreasing. 

It got down to 8% and I was frantically googling for a solution, because it was losing charge even though plugged in, when I found your post, Peter.  I followed the steps and now it is charging and is up to 87%.

Remains to be seen if this is a permanent solution, but it saved me a lot of aggravation today!   I have dozens of eBay auctions going right now and don't want to be without my laptop.  Thanks, and please reply if you have any more information about this issue with the Satellite L645D laptops.

Peter

I'm glad it seems to be working for you so far! Let us know if the solution sticks!

- Peter
Gwabanaba

You just saved me, thank you Peter :smileyvery-happy:

Peter

That's good to hear, Gwabanaba!

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
ssblackcat

[ Edited ]

I'm having this exact problem with my Satellite L655D S5055. Holding the power button down for 30 seconds did not work for me. Do I need to try and reinstall Power Management software? I am totally technically challenged but do not want to spend anymore money on this and can follow directions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, this problem seemed to start after I installed the last BIOS update from the Toshiba bulletin board.

Peter

Have you tried removing the ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery? Look here for instructions.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
ssblackcat

OK, I just did this. No luck. The thing I have that no one has mentioned is the blinking amber ON/OFF and battery indicator lights. The ON/OFF will light up blue for just a few seconds when I plug in the AC cord and then start blinking amber simultaneously with the battery light.

Occasional Contributor
ssblackcat

Peter - I'm still looking for solutions in the forums here. I don't know anything about tech stuff but could I have a problem with a ACPI Flash BIOS? I believe I noticed an update on the Toshiba bulletin board on my laptop that I never check and I updated it. That's when I started having problems.
jessicamsa

I just bought a Toshiba C655-S5540 today.  The battery will not charge at all.  The message says "0% available (plugged in, charging)."  I have taken the battery out and put it back in.  The laptop will not charge the battery at all.  If it weren't for the power cord, I would not be able to use the laptop at all.  Why is it not working?  It's a new laptop.

I've been waiting for it to charge for several hours now.

Peter

It's possible, ssblackcat. I'd recommend calling customer support at (800) 457-7777.

Jessica, Did you try the fixes mentioned in this thread? Hold the power button down after unplugging the laptop and removing the battery. The other fix was uninstalling the ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery.

If neither of those things work, I'd suggets contacting customer support as well.

- Peter
Linds204

I have a Satellite A505-S6035 and I just recently bought a 12-cell battery and I am having the same problem.

I have tried uninstalling the drive but then it screws with my charge in general and I have tried the above mentioned unplugging and holding the power button -- none of it works.

I am utterly confused as what to do!

Peter

Linds, have you called customer support?

- Peter
DJWagner

I've got a Portege Z835 and I can't remove the battery.  It's inside the laptop case and the case has a security bit that prevents me from gaining access to the battery.  Any suggestions for this unit?

Peter

DJWagner, did you try removing the driver that I mentioned? If not, try it.

Did the problem just start happening? If so, you might want to try using System Restore to restore a previous restore point from before this became an issue.

- Peter
Victor_rod

I have the same problem the lap c655-s5505, does not charge, it says that it is but if is disconnect the lap is shut down.

I solve the problem by the method of the power button.

But i am question me, How many costumer have this problem?

Why can the don fix it?

Toshiba team, I hope that with this message can do a better job!

Thanks! 

levin1942

Peter - thank you. I just bought my wife the Toshiba Satellite C655 and noticed the battery wasn't charging. After reading your solutions method I decided to give it a go. The power button step did not work. However, removing the MS APCI did it for me.  

Peter

Victor_rod, levin1942, I'm glad you both got the problems fixed (each with a different solution, too)!

- Peter