cooopercrisp

Laptop Won't Wake Up from Sleep Mode

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6050 laptop.  After boot-up, when I first put the laptop to sleep, it will wake up with no problem.  If I try to put it to sleep again, though, the power indicator light won't change from white to flashing orange.  There is no way to wake the laptop from this state without forcing a reboot by holding down the power button or unplugging the cord.  I tried resetting my power options to no avail.  Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this?

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Laptop Won't Wake Up from Sleep Mode

Try a System Reset:

Turn off computer. Remove all attachments and battery. Press and hold the Power button for 15 seconds.  Attach Power and insert battery.  Start computer and tap F2 at the Toshiba splash screen to get in BIOS.  Press F9 to reset system defaults.  Press F10 to Exit saving changes. Select Yes to complete process.  The computer will restart.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
cooopercrisp

I tried that and it didn't work.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

If it were mine, I just wouldn't let it ever go to sleep again and use hibernation instead.  However, if you want to try something else, the next thing would be a System Restore back to a time before this started happening. If that is more than a few days, and I suspect it is considering the time of your original post, you'll need to back up anything you have added since the restore date.

It's been 3 weeks since I answered your original post so I'm assuming you've been managing okay.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
GlCustard

[ Edited ]

I've have the same issue.  It does not help to go back to "Out of the Box State"  It has always done this since I got it.

larameyers

I have the same problem and have standard set up on my toshiba within an office environment.  I am using a docking station and only have 'sleep' option not 'hibernate'.  The issue is that if I put it into sleep mode at the end of the day I can't start it up again without rebooting and loosing work that I had open.  I also like to leave all my documents / apps open so I know where I am to start back up the next day but can't do this because the sleep mode does not start back up.

shejazi

Hello all- I haven't seen a resolutoin posted on this so wanted to include my laptop which has a similar problem.  It's a Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5145 running Windows 8.  This is an intermittent problem and so far has been unpredictable in terms of repeating it, but when it happens essentially it will not wake up from sleep (or some unknown locked state) when the lid is opened from a closed position.  Sometimes the fan can be heard running, and the 1st 3 lights are on as white.  The normal sleep state has the 1st and 3rd lights white, with the 2nd one slowly blinking orange.  The basic symptom is that the screen stays blank and I at first thought this was an intermittent monitor/hardware problem, but I am now thinking it is some type of subtle software or driver bug.  If anyone runs across a definitive fix please post it.  Doing a System Restore or the like is not an option for me at this point.

ps- Toshiba support, if you're listening I am 100% confident that someone on your support or engineering teams knows what this problem is so please speak up

Crum

Rather disappointing that no ne has come up with a solution for this, and in the Toshiba forum at that....

Got a new Toshiba Satellite C50D A 13G laptop here, new out the box.  Running Windows 8.  Updated.

If the laptop is put to sleep either by the button or the "start" menu it will not come back on.  It blinks on for a moment but then all we get is a black screen and the only solution is to rebooot.

Have tried rolling the graphics driver back and then updating it again.  No luck.  Tried turning the setttings to "do nothing" and back again.  No luck.

Hibernating works ok but seems a shame to not have the sleep function.  Also, the wifi sometimes struggles to work after waking from hibernation.

Should this go back to the shop?

Thanks.

Reef

Same issue. It's a shame Toshiba, I thought you guys were different from Dell/HP  : / let's go, this is ridiculous to have this problem with a NEW Toshiba laptop

beethoven367

Last week I bought a Toshiba L75D-A laptop. So far so good until this morning when I walked away from the laptop for about 45 minutes. Upon I pushed to power button to awake it from sleep mode. The machine re-booted! Is this supposed to happen? If so, then how do I wake up the computer? If this is a bug, and there is no fix soon, then I will take it back for a refund. 

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

At the Start screen, type Power Options, click on Settings at the upper right and then click on Power Options at the upper left. Click on Choose what closing the lid does at the upper left.  Your current selection may be Shutdown.  Change it to Sleep and click Save Changes.

If you should have occasion to post back here, please give the COMPLETE model info as in my examples below and start a new thread of your own rather than piggy-backing on someone else's thread. Good Luck!

C.B.

swthrasher

This worked for me.  Thank you!

MatiasLopez

I just bought this new laptop (Satellite C55-B5200) a couple days ago, and when I got home, I plugged it in an it was working just fine. Later that night, I had put it in sleep mode for a couple hours. When I came back to turn it on, it wouldn't. The power button didn't work at all, and it wasn't till I plugged it in that it turned on. Yesterday, I turned it off because I left again, and when I came back, the same issue occurred; only this time, it was harder for the laptop to read that the charger cord was in. The light didn't come on until after 3 or 4 tries of taking the cord out of the socket, waiting 10 seconds, then putting it back in.

Peter

[ Edited ]

MatiasLopez, you might want to try these suggestions:

What can I do if my Windows 8 laptop won't start?

- Peter
makarov123

I have a similar problem as described in this thread.

I have a new C75D-B7220. If I change any of the default power settings (e.g. change default time to sleep to never), then I am unable to wake the computer from sleep mode.

I had the computer set to sleep when lid closes. When I open the lid, the amber computer activity light (this unit seems to have no hard disk activity light) comes on and the white ring around the power button illuminates, but the screen remains black. Pressing a keyboard button, mouse button, or the power button does not bring the display back.

For now, my workaround has been to set the computer to Hibernate on lid close. This adds 15 or more seconds to resume, but seems to work for now.

Is this intended operation for sleep mode? If not, perhaps I should return the unit for exchange.

Peter

The screen never comes back on after waking from sleep? It always does this or only sometimes?

- Peter
jarrodmartin1

@makarov123 I have two Toshiba c75d-b models as well doing the same thing. 

when I close the lid, sleep mode should begin. Sometimes it does, but most of the time, I come back to find that the fan has been running, the unit is warm as if it was being used, and when I open the lid, the screen will not come back on. No mouse click, keybord stroke, or pushing the power button will "wake" it. 

I have to hold power button to shut it off and then turn it back on. Very frustrating experience when I'm trying to get work done. Both of my machines are doing it... so it has to be a bios or software issue.

Super Advisor
miker643

What specific Satellite C75D-B models do you have, and what is their part number(s)? There's a Toshiba label on the bottom. We do NOT need the serial numbers.

Mike

onyxversi

Re: Laptop Won't Turn on

Just had to do a scan on computer to remove some malware, restarted just fine and ran all night. Came down this morning and tried to do a start up from sleep and the screen was froze blank with both lights green for power. Figured I'd just turn it off and reboot... WRONG! 

Now it does nothing AT ALL, no lights, no fan, nothing. Tried the trick with the power button and plugging and unplugging cord, still nada! It's a Satellite C675-S7322 and it was bought 03/12 and I paid for two year warranty so it is 6 months past warranty which is like "salt in the wound". Someone PLEASE HELP.

chrisqtra

I'm in the same boat as like the rest of you guys. I got mine to turn on by having the power supply plug in and take out the battery with the cord still plugged in press the power button. Sorry for my English