mcd0minguez

Laptop Powers On Only For A Few Seconds Then Turns Off

I have a Toshiba Satelite M45-S265 Laptop. I recently installed a new harddrive and new lcd screen. After doing so I went to turn it on the power button lights up blue only for a few seconds then turns off. Nothing displays on the screen during this time. Any suggestions?
Regular Advisor
Defender

Re: Laptop Powers On Only For A Few Seconds Then Turns Off

Feasible that the wiring is touching something and ground out,take the battery out and on power adapter see if the unit boots properly.  Recheck all reinserted components, and especially around the power plug unit on the laptop.
tosha135s4666

I have same or similar issue with the Toshiba laptop a135-s4666.  a Week ago it started to shut off after using for 2 hours with battery in but using the power cord. I tried to turn it back on again, but the blue light only flickered momentarily. So I waited until the next day and then it started to go to the Toshiba splash screen but then failed. I also read online somewhere about taking the power cord off and the battery out, turn it upside down and hold power button down for 30 seconds. Then replace the power cord and try to start it. That worked. I've done that now 4 different days to a success. Now however the blude light does not even come on unless the battery is in.

But it only stays on for 2 seconds, or sometimes for 3 seconds, and the hard drive just starts to spin for 1/2 second before dying off.

If the battery is out, the blue light does not come on at all. This machine has been serviced with a new hard drive after 11 months when in warranty, but is now 19 months old. I plan to get it serviced. Perhaps as a moderator here has said that it is needs the fans cleaned and the gooey stuff redone.

mcd0minguez

I got it to turn on just by taking it all apart and putting it back together.I shut it down and it wont turn on again. When I press the power button it turns orange first then blue then turns off after like 8 seconds. Any suggestions?
Regular Advisor
Defender

Not sure mcdOminguez what you define as taking all apart.  So lets assume you removed the shell casing and exposed motherboard and internal components-feasible you have not seated one of the wires to HDD or closed on a tiny wire transfer, also a grounding issue.  Recommend you recheck your work, reset the memory modules, keep the battery out and power up.  When unit boots go to F2 and ensure all settings enabled..boot from HDD first, then CD hardware. Look at the date time heading please.
Regular Advisor
Defender

tosha135s4666...your problem is OVERHEATING, our first impression--check the fan and exhaust port andensure cleaned of debris

The method you describe of removal of all power  then hitting the power button works only partially-what you are doing is trying to get all internal mat components to engage to their button/keypad connectors.  You have shuffled something if the battery is now main source of power.  Getting it serviced is a real good option you are taking-GREAT!!!!!  Be carefull.

tosha135s4666

tosha135s4666...your problem is OVERHEATING, our first impression--check the fan and exhaust port andensure cleaned of debris

After I posted the laptop's blue light came on all by itself, telling me it was charging or whatever. That is the light that indicates it is plugged in. So on Sunday I waited until 7pm to turn it on again and all went well (for today). I still plan to get it serviced.

Also when it booted up it remembered where it was last left off and it asked me if i wanted to resume with where I left off, and it warned me this had happened because of low battery. Even though I was not using battery. It actually took me back to locations I was before even those that require a password to login to online game sites. 

I accidentliy pulled the power cord out and then it told me about a low battery problem so it needed to run on AC. I plugged it back in again and the battery meter went up and down from near the bottom level up to the top in a cycle fashion every 4 seconds.

I am typing this on the laptop. If I had to guess, I would say that the fan is not even on. I can't hear any noises at all coming ot of that vent where the fan is.

tosha135s4666

[ Edited ]

I don't know how to edit messages. I checked again the fan with my ear to the vent, and now I hear it. This is bizarre.

I still have not found the perfect website that will tell me what screws to remove to get to the whole fan. I've read one site that had 4 pages of pictures, and it included removing the monitor and keyboard covers in order to get inside of it.

When I removed all the bottom screws it seemed to me something was still holding it back.

a135-s4666

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/ was the link.

I am editing this message and Now it has been some minutes later and the battery indicator is nearing 75%. The fan runs off and on.

I want to be able to do more than a vacuum to it. Hopefully I can get some assistance with which screws to remove.

Message Edited by tosha135s4666 on 04-05-2009 05:41 PM
mcd0minguez

I took the case apart and checked all hardware including the lcd screen. I put it all back together and the power button is orange and when I power it on it turns blue and a few seconds later everything turns off. After I keep trying to power it on it will eventually boot up and work perfectly but if I shut it down it wont turn on again for some time... I am totally lost I will probably never turn it off again.
Regular Advisor
Defender

tosha135s4666..classic sign that the battery is dying and is requesting a replacement please.  Overheating can occur, so ensure that the fan and exhaust port is free of dust. Fan will come on when it sesnors indicate heavy load on system and too cool components down inside that compressed area.  If you do not hear the fan kick in, unit has been on awhile, time for a service on unit to be safe.
Regular Advisor
Defender

tosh....you problem of power on, leave on now to keep operational.  Think our problem can be related to the heatpad operation for the 6 keys arrangement.  Feasible something is hanging there, did you check the Power Settings to see the level hibernate/sleep/normal unit was set to?
tosha135s4666

Defender is your last post to me? The one that says tosh....you problem of power on, leave on now to keep operational.  Think our problem can be related to the heatpad operation for the 6 keys arrangement.  Feasible something is hanging there, did you check the Power Settings to see the level hibernate/sleep/normal unit was set to?

6 key arrangement.

The pc shut down again after running for 2 hours. Then Monday it would not turn on the AC light until I picked the unit up a 1/2 inch off the table on the corner of it, then dropped that corner down to the table. Then the light came on indicating it was plugged in.

Time for service. I don't think I can fix this if there is some soddering problem. Even techs probably cant fix it if it isn't connecting somewhere along the power chain. Agree?

Battery - I may try that. I've probably only used the battery for about 10-20 cycles over its 18 month life.

twinkie330

Ok, I have a L355 and the other day it shut off for no reason.  I tried truning it back on but it would immediately shut off.  I waited about and hour and it came on but then said that my system isn't starting and if i wanted to repair. In the middle if the repair it shut off.  Yes it was plugged in before you ask.  So then I waited until the next day and tried again...same shut off only it went further and and got to the restore to previous location before doing so.  This time I waited two days; it made it all the way past the restore and was running for about three hours when it shut off. Now I'm not computer savy but I didn't see any recalls on the battery, the power cord is plugged in and the charging light is on as well as the power cord light.  Can anyone please advise...thanks.
Regular Advisor
Defender

Good idea tosha135s4666 to take in for service and be less stressed out for sure. Take care.
Regular Advisor
Defender

twinkie330 response here...maybe the power adapter has frayed wiring, check and see, or the hosuing connector inside the unit is loose. Take the battery out and learn if same concerns surface?  Appears feasible the hard drive is failing, take to an Authorized Service Provider for a diagnostic.
JohnnyUtah

I have a equium m40x and when i press the power button it lights on for a few seconds then turns its self off, this happens with battery and power cable... if battery and power cable are connected - lights show at frot as if charging but when turning on it just turns itself off.

I tried the upside down thingy that a few people were talking about but that does not work for me. somebody mentioned replacing the CMOS battery - would this work.... help please I have a dead laptop.....

Occasional Advisor
Techman

Try to power on without the battery installed.

If you have added memory or other hardware, try to remove it or put it back to factory conditions.

When you power on , make sureyou press and hold the power button for a couple seconds.

Before and after trying to power on list the status of ALL lights on the computer.  Are they on, did they come on then go off, did the blink, are they still blinking...

This signature left intentionally blank.