kashif78560

HL-DT-ST GT30F PROBLEM

My optical driver power is off and is disabled. In the past when I logged on to my windows, it asked if I wished to turn my optical driver on and even when I clicked “yes” it still has it turned off.  It also shows up as an icon at the lower right hand corner of my screen and when I right click on it, I have the choice of "enabling" or "diabling" the optical drive auto lock. I have tried doing both, neither options made a difference. I have looked it up on Device Manager and I am getting "A driver for this device has been disabled. An Alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)." on HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT30F. I have attempted to fix it throughhttp://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us and by uninstalling it and restarting my computer through device manager… it keeps saying that it failed to install properly. I have Windows 7. Not sure what else to do. Troubleshooting has done nothing. I’ve only had this computer a few months and this problem has been a big headache. Any other possible solutions would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

twinklejadoo

Re: HL-DT-ST GT30F PROBLEM

Hey, i had a similar problem. Mine stopped working because i used it a lot and yours is of other reason,You can go to a repairer and they will fix it but they will charge you like $30-40, instead go to ebay or new egg and order an external drive which can be used on any computer and i ordered it too.

storm30062

This problem has driven me to distraction, also.  I have, however, found the solution:smileyvery-happy:.  We have all tried updating the drivers, Windows Help, Microsoft Fix-It, deleting the Optical Drive, re-booting and re-installing the drive, and have spent hours searching the Internet for the solution, all to no avail.  After hours of frustration, I found this elegant, simple, and obvious answer to the conundrum staring right at me: DELETE THE DRIVER!!  After you have done that, re-boot.  Windows will recognize the Optical Drive and install the driver and everything works as it should.

Here's how you do it in Windows 7: Control Panel->Hardware and Sound (left click on the heading, not the subcategories)->under Devices and Printers, select Device Manager->expand DVD/CD ROOM drives->right click on HL-DT-ST DVDRAM 6T30F->select Properties->select the Driver tab in the Properties Dialogue Box->the last selection is UNINSTALL, the explanation is "To uninstall the driver (Advanced)".  Once it is uninstalled, re-boot and all will be right again.

When I uninstalled the Optical Drive (3X!), I right clicked the drive, as everyone else has, and selected 'Uninstall".  I must have looked at that uninstall button at the bottom to the Driver Dialogue Box ten times without realizing that it would uninstall the Driver, not the Drive.  I feel like a dummy for not seeing it.:smileyembarrassed:

PatsyTee814

Hi, I am having trouble finding the Control Panel-Hardware And Sound, there is a spot for sound but not hardware.  Under Devide manager there is nothing that says DVD/CD ROOM?  Am I doing something wrong?

storm30062

I'll try to help you solve this. I’m not a Guru, just a guy who has solved his own problems, with tenacity and, sometimes, brute force, with DOS and Windows problems for over 30 years.

I need some additional information about your system and the problem to try to solve it.  Since I do not know your expertise level, I’ll try to keep everything in baby steps until you tell me otherwise.  Tell me if I ask you something that you don’t know or can’t find and I’ll show you where to look or how to get it.   

What operating system are you using, Windows 7 or 8?  Do you have a desk or lap top?   Does  the optical (DVD-CD/ROM) drive not work at all and/or the speakers not working?  In Device Manager, is there a heading for DVD/CD-ROM drives?  When you expand it (click arrow to left of the heading or double click it), what does it show?   

PatsyTee814

After I click Device Manager there is nothing for DVDCD Room...only a driver Hitachi with an unmatching number.  I am eady to throw up my lap top.