Deepshuk

Cooling System Error Satellite M645-S4050

Hi,

At about 30% power with AC chord not plugged in, I have been getting error message of cooling system error and asked me to send the computer for service. My two returns to service resulted in no fault found. I have screen shots to show the problem.. any help will be appreciated

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Cooling System Error Satellite M645-S4050

[ Edited ]

Satellite M645-S4050

I'm sure all the regulars are sick of hearing me me say this. But, if you haven't already I would update your BIOS. There was an update to v1.70, on Jan.17, 2011. In addition, in that upate, there was a fix that "Modified the 3-Cell battery protection function." Which may, or may not, have something to do with your problem, seeing as your system came with a 12 cell battery.

Download the BIOS update to your desktop. Double click on it, and create the bootable CD to update & backup your BIOS. Then reboot with the CD in the drive, and boot off the CD. Update and backup your BIOS, and your machine will probably shut down after. Then restart off the hard drive into Windows.

ACPI Flash BIOS version 1.70 for Satellite M640/M645

In addition, yes, posting the screen shots would be useful in trying to help you. Just paste them into a Word document, then add the   .txt   extension  on the end, eg   screenshot.doc.txt   and then add this/these file(s) as attachment(s) to your post.

As well, your machine has the Toshiba PC Health Monitor software. You can open this and find a lot information about CPU temperatures, etc. The information about this utility begins on page 177 of your User Guide.

Further, your system also comes with the Toshiba eco Utility. If the BIOS update doesn't help, you might want to look at the settings there, and/or disabling this, to see if it has any impact on your problem.  On page 176, you'll find the basic information about this.

If none of this helps post your screen shots. Regardless, please let us know what happens.

Good luck!

Mike

mariojcorchado

Well I bought my Laptop M645-S4050 at a retailer store and they change the first one for a new one due to the same issue, after using the new laptop (Laptop #2 brandnew out of the box), I got the same system error "Cooling system error please return for service", I never had problems before with a Toshiba Laptop... Thanks for the best practice but dont you think this is something that Toshiba should be fixing before deploying the equipment??? Why should I do a procedure that might be voiding the warrany of my Laptop??? I think that this is a huge gap from Toshiba, Im returning this equipment due to not working properly !!!  I want my money back, if it has a feature it has to work, come on !!! thats why I bought the LapTop because of the features and I want them all to work... did I pay for this LapTop Partialy ??? No so I want it to work in 100%... now your answer is "oh you have to flash the BIOS" again thank you, but this glitch has gone to far....

TOSHIBA PC - 0

APPLE MAC Books - 1

Bealive me, this is not customer service...

Super Advisor
miker643

Just so you understand, because it would seem you don't, this is a peer support forum.  This is just other users/Toshiba laptop owners, trying to help each other out.  I'm an English teacher in Korea.  If you want to rant about Toshiba products, and/or its service, please send a letter to the CEO of Toshiba, and/or contact the Better Business Bureau, and/or some consumer product review site.

Don't rant at me, just a guy using his own time to try to help you.  You're on your own.

Good luck!

Mike

Regular Advisor
gingmag

The complaints you see here about Toshiba are few compared to the thousands of laptops they sell. Every company including Apple will have problems. Go read forums for other laptop companies and you will see the same complaints. I have owned a few Toshiba laptops and currently own a M645 series and no problems. I even took one to Thailand for my friend and that one has been overheated quite a few times due to user and still works no problem.

There are people here who are very knowledgeable and have helped many people solve their problems, so you don't need to give them crap when they try to help you. Take the laptop back and go buy a different brand.

Weiner dogs at large.
Schifter

[ Edited ]

I've been having the same problem with the Toshiba Satellite M645. I turned it over today and noticed that there are no slits in the circular grill that is right beneath the fan/heating vents. Just wondering if they intentionally left the grill slits filled, or if they use the same plastic bottom for other comparable models that do not require an intake for the fan. Typically, most cooling systems require both an intake and outtake for air -- this model (at least mine) seems to have no intake grill for the heating system -- it's just a circular plastic "grill" with no actual slits in it for air to pass through. Seems like a weird design, maybe it's just mine tho -- would be curious to hear from anybody else if they notice the same issue, and if/why it even matters.