kllaux

CMOS Battery problem on new Satellite L305-S5955

My niece just received a new laptop as a gift to take to college next week and when we first started it up it had a "CMOS Battery failure" error.  It said press F1 to continue and we did.  It seems to run ok but the time is messed up.  We called Best Buy to see if they would change the battery but they said they can't because it is new.  They also won't/can't exchange the entire computer but said the original purchaser could return it and buy a new one.  Original purchaser is on vacation and won't be back in time. She leaves in 6 days.  Not much time.

Is this something we can do ourselves?

kllaux

Re: CMOS Battery problem on new Satellite L305-S5955

Found a generic Satellite L305 manual online that told me to just plug it in for 24 hours to recharge the cmos (RTC) battery.  It said not uncommon to be discharged upon arrrival.  Trying that. 

Why couldn't the best buy geek squad tell me this?

Occasional Advisor
Techman

As I understand it the CMOS battery charges while the computer is on.  So leave the computer on overnight.  Then when you set the date and time, it should keep track of the time while off.

This signature left intentionally blank.
Regular Advisor
Defender

Techman advise is right on target, should daughter experience same or different concerns, I would contact original owner to obtain a replacement via BB store.  Thus, long term enjoyment!

kllaux

Thanks...

Had it plugged in for 24 hours and then reset the time and as long as it was plugged in and running it kept time.  Left it off for a few hours and it lost 15 minutes....

Trying to find a Toshiba authorized service center within an hours drive who will change battery before she leaves if possible. Apparently Best Buy is not an authorized repair center??

Problem with Best Buy is the purchase was made on-line by my sister.  Best Buy store will only accept return from her and she is currently out of state.  Best Buy will not exchange or repair.  Must return and repurchase.  I may end up just paying a local repair shop to do it which really gauls me for a brand new just out of the box computer!

Regular Advisor
Defender

Take to the local Toshiba Service Center, should gain no hassle there., is the best recommendation.  Best Buy-wonder why they would not support return if just purchased, try speaking to a manager or calling customer service since internet purchase.  Had the receipt correct?  Time will tell.