xolo7171

Battery only charges to 99%

Hello! After not turning on my Satellite U405 for almost two weeks, I noticed today that the battery will only charge to 99% when I run it on AC power.    It used to go to 100% and then the red "battery charging" light on the outside went off and the battery icon would disappear.  Now, when the computer is on AC power, the battery appears to be continuously charging.  I guess this is a lot better than never charging, but I am wondering if this could be a bigger problem that is a sign of something going wrong with the computer/start a fire/ explode??   I called Toshiba support and the guy I spoke with didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about, but I am still concerned.

The battery came with the computer when I bought it in June 2008.   It gets warm but as far as I know has never gotten too hot to touch or otherwise overheated.  

So, what do you all think? Am I worrying too much or does this sound like a real problem? 

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this!

Frequent Advisor
Pensacola_Tiger

Re: Battery only charges to 99%

xolo7171 wrote:

Hello! After not turning on my Satellite U405 for almost two weeks, I noticed today that the battery will only charge to 99% when I run it on AC power.    It used to go to 100% and then the red "battery charging" light on the outside went off and the battery icon would disappear.  Now, when the computer is on AC power, the battery appears to be continuously charging.  I guess this is a lot better than never charging, but I am wondering if this could be a bigger problem that is a sign of something going wrong with the computer/start a fire/ explode??   I called Toshiba support and the guy I spoke with didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about, but I am still concerned.

The battery came with the computer when I bought it in June 2008.   It gets warm but as far as I know has never gotten too hot to touch or otherwise overheated.  

So, what do you all think? Am I worrying too much or does this sound like a real problem? 

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this!

Run the battery down to about 35 - 40% charge and then turn it off, plug it in and let it recharge.  Windows may just have gotten 'confused' about the battery state.  

xolo7171

Thanks so much for your reply! I will try your suggestion and see if that fixes it.   I really appreciate your taking the time to reply.  

Regular Advisor
Defender

Also, keep in mind that the age of the battery ,may only allow to resulting a 99% percent charge at times.  As already posted let it run down and then do a full charge, without any use of the computer this time to check results, also all external components removed if any.
Occasional Advisor
Techman

Try removing the battery while powered on and connected to power, wait ten seconds then put it back in.

This may just be a sign the battery is aging. Does it run for a shorter time on battery?

I don't see it as a sign of fire or explosion though.  So I wouldn't worry about that.  I assume this isn't one of the recalled batteries though.

This signature left intentionally blank.
xolo7171

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions and advice! I did try running the battery down to ~20%, then recharged, to no avail.  Then I tried the suggestion of removing the battery with the computer on, then replacing it...also to no avail.  So I guess it's just an aging battery, although I haven't noticed it running down faster than it used to.  I did have the Toshiba support guy verify that this battery is not one of the recalled ones. 

It didn't even occur to me that the battery was getting old, since I got the laptop less than a year ago and it seemed like the battery "should" last longer than that.  But I did a little research and it looks like I'm doing all the wrong things to maximize battery life, so hopefully I'll get more use out of the next one.  And I will stop worrying that my laptop is about to explode or something! 

Occasional Advisor
Techman

If the run time is good, and it is only off by 1%, then maybe it isn't a big deal.

BTW, Unless you bought a refurbished unit, the battery has a one year warranty.

This signature left intentionally blank.
Regular Advisor
Defender

Glad your worry about explosion is cleared up, 99% and all is well, no major discharge time element, I suggest you press on and worry about more pressing issues these days?  Seriously.  Mark as resovled!