DeeLaney

Battery Won't Charge

My AC Cord is plugged in and the computer won't register that it is charging, I have tried my firend's cord but it still won't register the charge, I just wondering what could be wrong and what I can do about it.  I just happened like 20 minutes ago, it was charging fine and all of a sudden it won't.

ToshM30X

Re: Battery Won't Charge

Hi Jim, can you please respond to this post.  I have seen you responding to posts on other threads.

I too have a battery issue, albeit a bit different than the above poster.

Here are the details,

I have M30X Satellite laptop out of warranty.

- When computer is off, it charges but slowly and i can see the battery light at orange and eventually it does become green if i keep charging over night.  What is the average time it should take a battery to charge up fully?

- When computer is turned on, the battery starts draining even when power cord is plugged in.  Eventually complete battery drain causes it to shut off.  While it is on, i do see the AC Power light On and the Power management window also recongnizes that AC power is on.

Now it can't be a power cord problem, because when it is shut off, it does charge.  Battery does charge but slowly and that too only when computer is swichted off.

Many people seem to have similar issue on this message board.  Is there a canned answer from Toshiba as to what is the issue here?

Is there a way for it to work purely on AC Power even if battery is at 0% by changing some software options. I rather it work the way it is on AC Power if possible instead of wasting few hundred dollars for the solution to the charging issue.  Anyway from other threads it looks like the authorized repair centers do not exactly fix the problem.

Thanks.

Regular Advisor
Defender

ToshM30X: Is there a way for it to work purely on AC Power.

The AC alone keeps the power ON, take out the battery. Each battery 6 cell, 9 cell have a different time element to run. Let the battery full discharge and then do a recharge to 100%.  You can reset the battery power status to normal via the Toshiba Utility. 

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Sorry but I can't really help troubleshoot.  I throw out an occasional thought and a generic tip or two but don't mean to suggest that I'm a guy who can do tech support here.

Defender had a good idea about just removing the battery as a workaround.

The following is all just generic power considerations, but if you've got more than one Toshiba laptop or have replaced the AC/DC power adapter then you might want to check the amp/current rating on your adapter. To make sure you've a suitable adapter, compare the adapter's current rating with the current requirement of  the laptop. (The laptop's power requirements are on a sticker on the bottom case.)  The adapter's current rating must be equal to or greater than the laptops requirement.  By the way, the voltage must be an exact match, though I expect you'd have bigger problems than this if you had the wrong voltage rating.

If that checks out ok then I recommend calling tech support (800-457-7777) for other ideas, unless others chime in with more ideas.

Jim

Regular Advisor
Defender

DeeLaney.. Watch when you try another adapter as the voltage input may not be the same and caue more damage that you realize. Battery life cell is random-generally 2-3 possible years-dpends on if you allowed full discharge and then did a recharge.  You could take it to an authorized service center and they do a cell test to see what percentage of retention there is presently.  If an older time, maybe replacement is a consideration.
ToshM30X

Defender and Jim,

Thanks for the pointers.  I just put the battery out.  Now when i plug in the power cord, the power cord green light lights up but the computer does not power on.  I am not sure if the computer can work only on AC power without the battery being in there.  If yes, this would mean there is some issue with the adapter.  Jim, where can i measure the output voltage on adapter?  Do the authorized centers have that ability?  By the way my adapter is a replacement adapter but it is original Toshiba.

Thanks.  I look forward to your responses. 

Regular Advisor
Defender

for ToshM30X..YES can work without battery, battery is there for convenience and portability.  The problem you describe means that the adapter is timed out for its life cycle, check all wiring for fray conditions, or there was a spike at sometime.  Un either case be safe and take to an autohirzed service provider and YES they can test if it is serviceable output condition.  Hopefully, you are using a quality surge protector? Safe please.
Regular Advisor
Defender

for ToshM30X...Battery does charge but slowly.

When a battery, generally speaking here, is charging slowly, it may be at the end of useful cell life.  As stated before do a full dischrge and allow then to go to 100%, if it takes over 4 hrs, time for a replacement, or use an emergency backup due to short cycle operation. There is no canned tech principle other than  all batteries has a life span, environmental conditions-humidity, discharges and the cell count contributes to longevity.  Have you seen where as time goes on their life span is increasing?  As explained before, battery is a convenience, there is no special software which will regulate all types of battery unless you put in a converter switch.  The setting for BATTERY OPTIONS i recommend setting at BALANCED, it helps to use less cell power and give somewhat longer run time.  Also, DVD movies eat battery life time alot.