bigdog2k2

Battery Capacity Issue -- Charging Designed Capacity (NEW Satellite A665)

I have a NEW Satellite A665-S6065 that has the Factory Battery that is "unable" to charge to its Full Capacity. After getting the computer, it appeared to me that it was not running on battery as long as it should.

I have tried a couple of different programs to check out the hardware on the laptop...

(AIDA64 Extreme Edition & CPUID Hardware Monitor Pro)

They both show the same issue, the Battery that came with my new computer is unable to charge to its full designed capacity. Based on this, this Faulty Battery is missing ~25% of its Charging Capacity!!!

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

If I hadn't used this software, How would I prove to Toshiba that this is a Battery Problem?

Thanks for help and feedback.

----

Here is the info from AIDA64:

Battery Properties:

Device Name  PA3817U-1BRS

Manufacturer  COMPAL

Serial Number  ####

Unique ID  ####

Battery Type  Rechargeable Li-Ion

Designed Capacity  48600 mWh

Fully Charged Capacity  36763 mWh

Current Capacity  36763 mWh (100 %)

Voltage  12579 mV

Wear Level  24 %

Power State  AC Line

Occasional Contributor
TheIrishKid

Re: Battery Capacity Issue -- Charging Designed Capacity (NEW Satellite A665)

I have a new Satellite L655D- S5066 that I purchased 8/10.  In the Toshiba Utility app, there is a program called PC Health that shows the processor temp., cooling fan speed, degree of battery charge and battery capacity condition.  It showed that my battery condition is in the POOR range and should be replaced.  I talked to Toshiba Support and a new battery was ordered under Toshiba Acclaim web on 11/04.  According to Toshiba the DIY part is on back order.  My laptop has been back to the Repair Facility 2 times for another problem and they still have it.  Sounds like Toshiba has a problem with their batteries.   

Famaniii

[ Edited ]

I bought a L655D-S5116 on November 26th.  I went though the same...battery "fair" with 36% wear per a secondary program on the first day.  I tried the usual remedies to no avail and called Toshiba.  30 minute wait later they state the battery will ship in 5 to 7 days with a $130 hold on my credit card and today I see the "backorder" message.  I suppose this will put me past the 14 day (pitiful) BestBuy return period.  The FIRST thing I had to fix was the WiFi disconnect while on battery power (took a Realtek update to fix) and now this.  It seems to be a good laptop (fast) but with some issues.

UPDATE:

I finally received my backordered battery and what a difference.  I used the laptop for almost 2 hours and was still only down to 57%.  Can't find anything bad to say now...with the wifi "battery only" disconnect issue corrected and the new battery this seems to be a great unit.

bmwrider2003

Did they refund the full amount to your credit card?

Famaniii

Yes, I returned the other battery with no problem and no actual charges...but here I am 6 months later and the battery is at 46% wear again.

Famaniii

[ Edited ]

Got my second warranty battery replacement (18 hours after I requested it..that was fast).  Keeping my fingers crossed as it looks good at the beginning but these batteries drop out quickly.  Even now after 1 charge the CPUID monitor shows the full charge capacity has dropped just a bit from designed capacity.  we will see,  The last battery was lasting just at 1 hour on a full charge at only 5 months old and very little use.

woof359

on my second battery, its 15 months old, now its not holding a charge at all, I have a 10 year old gateway down stairs that still holds a charge for 30 minutes, guess next time Ill do better research.