amm1

AC adapter problem Laptop Satellite L305-S5865

The portion of the AC power that is in the computer seems to be loose and when I plug the adapter in I have trouble with it not making contact. Is there a way to fix without taking the laptop apart.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: AC adapter problem Laptop Satellite L305-S5865

Nope.  It will require taking it apart to repair it properly.  If it's not making good connection one of the solder joints has probably come loose and will need to be re-soldered.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

LRM
Occasional Contributor
LRM

cee_64 wrote:

Nope.  It will require taking it apart to repair it properly.  If it's not making good connection one of the solder joints has probably come loose and will need to be re-soldered.

This is not correct. In Toshiba Satellite L305, L305D the power jack is attached to the motherboard via harness. The jack is NOT soldered to the motherboard.

LRM
Occasional Contributor
LRM

amm1 wrote:

The portion of the AC power that is in the computer seems to be loose and when I plug the adapter in I have trouble with it not making contact. Is there a way to fix without taking the laptop apart.

This is a known issue with Toshiba Satellite L305, L305D, L355, L355D.

The power jack feels loose because one of the following:

1. The power jack is broken.

2. The mounting bracket on the base assembly is broken.

3. Both, the power jack and mounting bracket are broken.

Take a look at the following picture:

Satellite L305, L305D jack broken

Do you see what I'm talking about? This picture shows the power jack and base assembly when the top cover is removed.

If the laptop is still under warranty, call Toshiba and they should fix this problem at no charge.

If the laptop is not under warranty anymore, you can replace the broken base assembly and power jack yourself but.... if you use original Toshiba parts most likely it will break again.

Instead of installing original Toshiba parts, you can try this trick:

Satellite L305, L305D jack fixed

You'll find more information in the following article (follow the link):

How to repair damaged power jack in Toshiba Satellite L305 and L355 laptops

WARNING!!! This is only for people with some technical background. You can damage the laptop while doing this repair. Proceed on your own risk!!!

Also this power jack modification should work for the following models: Toshiba Satellite L300, L305D, L355D, P305, P305D, Toshiba Satellite Pro L300, L350 and probably some other Toshiba laptops.

kraze1978

This link above works great! I did it myself and it's not that hard. I'm posting the link again

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/repair-damaged-power-jack-toshiba-satellite-l305-l355-laptops/

Cheers!