ktl
Occasional Contributor
ktl
Accepted Solution

speaker sound with external audio connected

My laptop has been in the Depot for several sound issues.

When a laptop user connects an external audio system to the laptop, she/he wants the laptop speakers stop making sound. However, Toshiba designed so that the laptop speakers continue to make sound. I do not understand it.

Can anyone explain?

Below is the description of the symptom that the Depot said it is by design and is not a problem.

When I insert a jack to audio output socket of the laptop, Realtek HD Audio Manager window appears, and another window appears and asks me to choose between “Headphone” and “Line Out”. To connect to an external audio system’s line input, I choose “Line Out”. In this usage, the laptop speakers are supposed to be muted. However, they make sound just as if nothing is plugged in the laptop’s audio socket.

Model name: T235-S1350

Depot number: T1-1127037

Super Advisor
brad

Re: speaker sound with external audio connected

If you set the output to Headphone, do the internal speakers behave the same?

ktl
Occasional Contributor
ktl

[ Edited ]

No. If I click headphone instead of line out on the window that appears when something is inserted into the audio socket, the laptop speakers are muted.

Super Advisor
brad

I think that's working as designed then.

One of the older laptops that I have that has both Line out and Headphone jacks works simmilarly, internal muted with something plugged into the Headphone port, but not into the Line out port.

ktl
Occasional Contributor
ktl

In that laptop, is the line output separate from your volume setting?

In my case, I cannot control the line output and internal speaker separately. Volume up or down affects both internal speaker and line output. This is inconvenient.

Super Advisor
brad

In that laptop, the line out is fixed, non-variable.

In your machine, do you have volume sliders for the different outputs, in this case internal speaker and line out,  in the volume mixer in Windows?

ktl
Occasional Contributor
ktl

I recall there were no separate sliders for internal speaker and line out.

But I will search again when I receive the laptop from the Depot.

ktl
Occasional Contributor
ktl

T235 right side speaker: designed to severely distort sound?

[ Edited ]

(I deleted this message because it was inappropriately moved (I have no idea why it was moved) to this place where I talk about a different issue.)

ktl
Occasional Contributor
ktl

I received the laptop. Since it was very cold, I waited 2 hours before turning it on.

Service Order: V-21090615

Symptopms: Detail: Sound Issue

Notes: No trouble found per engineer.

I cannot adjust the internal speaker volume and the output level to the audio jack separately. They just volume up/down and mute together.

Though I think this is very weird design, I would accept it if it is designed so by Toshiba.

JournalistJim

"When I insert a jack to audio output socket of the laptop, Realtek HD Audio Manager window appears, and another window appears and asks me to choose between “Headphone” and “Line Out”.  "

My Realtek audio manager used to appear when I inserted a jack.It doesn't now. How do I undo the change?

ktl
Occasional Contributor
ktl

I sent my laptop to Toshiba Depot again.

On the Unit Repair Summary, it reads "changed audio board, speakers. ubdate DMI, BIOS."

The other problems mentioned in my two other posts in this forum were fixed by this audio board and speaker replacement.

However, the issue mentioned in this post remains the same. So it seems that it is really so by design.

ktl
Occasional Contributor
ktl

JournalistJim, it may be another strange design. I cannot find out how to access Realtek HD Audio Manager except when the window appears at the time of audio jack insertion.

2markmorrison

I have same problem and am unclear as to the 'Solution'. -MM

Super Advisor
brad

Did you read the posts?  There is no 'problem', just a setting to change.

Select "Headphone" behaviour, instead of "Line Out"

smount

Brad,

I think that the way the laptop works is confusing to those of us who are used to other models (which silence the internal speakers automatically) and this thread is also confusing.  I have a new Toshiba netbook (NB505-N508) and just spent 45 minutes figuring this out.  Thank you for restating the answer.  I will do it again:

Select "Headphone" behaviour, instead of "Line Out"