Alex87

Re: no sound / usb on satellite l505d-gs6000

For some reason, my L505D has once again decided to grant me sound and USB today after being without it for several weeks.  This is really annoying!  I lost sound/USB in December, got it back in January and lost it in the same month, and just got it back today.

Please support your products and your customers, Toshiba!  We didn't pay hundreds of dollars per person to have this issue be ignored.

Toecheeba

Re: no sound / usb on satellite l505d-re-cyclible

Chalk up another L505D with failed hardware here. First thing that went was the monitor, but it comes on if you crack the lid open 45°. Any further, and you get a black screen. I thought, "no prblem, I can live with that". Shortly thereafter, the speakers made a buzzing noise and that was the last noise they made.

So now I had a laptop that had a malfunctioning lid switch, no sound, no USB, and no card reader. And of course, just two months out of warranty.

Tried checking drivers, doing updates, reinstalling windows, etc. Still nothing. So out come the screwdrivers. Immediately I noticed the southbridge chip had nothing on it. I've repaired laptops before and usually there is some method of dissapting heat from it. (Most often a thermal pad that makes contact with the metal frame under the keyboard.) It doesn't take a genius to follow traces on a circuit board and see that the soutbridge chip is connected to the audio, usb, and SD card reader.

Having fixed a couple xbox's before, I knew about reflowing. So I thought I'd give it a shot. My hot air rework gun did nothing. Perhaps I was just being too cautious with it because I didn't want to risk damaging any nearby components. But tonight I think I will try the oven trick. I've had great success on two xbox's using this method. But only when overheating or heatguns just wouldn't work. Wish me luck

As far as Toshiba goes, they have lost a customer here. And when all my friends and family are shopping for laptops, I will no longer recommend Toshiba products. IMO, they used to make the most reliable ones out there, but for whatever reason quantity has replaced quality. Even more disgusting than that, is their lack of support for a defective product. Shame on you Toshiba:mansad:

Occasional Contributor
shwsrvcs

Just when I thought I was out....

I'd finally started seeing others again, I'd been doing it so much again lately that I'd even set up a place to do it in my garage.  A place I could think about doing, practice it, experiment.  But she was always in the back of my mind.  What had I done wrong? Could there still be a chance? What if I just.. no.  It was too late.  I was sure I had burnt her too badly the last time.  She would never, but then again... oh hell just getting her to come alive like she used to when I would touch her would be enough let alone have sound and usb!  No hope...  But then! There she was, dropped off and now in my hands in the very same garage where I'd dismembered her sister.  I didn't believe it.  MY L505D GS6000's little sister (L505D S5965) was about to get done....

So yeah.. basically... I decided to put my gained knowledge over the past year to use and via an ad in craigslist have been repairing laptops and computers and such locally.  I kept telling Deserea that it only looked like I didn't know what I was doing and that the problems I was having with this laptop were very much not the usual.  I've been proven right!  Most repairs have been relatively simple.  When this one showed up after a short phone conversation, I'd immediatly recognized the lid and even before I'd touched it I knew it was a 505.  I ended up selling a replacement to the owner and in return for the great price and service, it ended up being given to me, so once again, I am in the position of having a broken L505! (or... hello everybody, my name is dave and I'm a toshibaholic)

But guess what... this one.. well I'm not sure about it but.. this one doesn't have the no USB and sound problem!!

It just won't turn on at all... It won't POST

The fan spins and the hard drive does too but nothing on the screen or on the video out...

I don't know if there is a switch for the screen that I'm not seeing somplace?  I didn't see on my gs6000 any time I worked on it.  It could be a perfect candidate for a reflow I think if it is the graphics chip that is at fault. 

I'd forgotten anything else COULD be wrong with this laptop....

So since I've taken ownership of this one now (they just wanted a serviceable laptop quick, I had the A105 i was using for Win8 dev almost ready to go so I swapped in thier memory and drive, did a fresh install of WIN XP PRO and viola! Laptop to go!) i'm going to break it down again and start trouble shooting.  Does anybody here know of any threads in this forum or otherwise that may help me localize?

You know what happens if this baby gets back in working condition don't you?  yeah... me niether...

It would be nice tho.

DG

Toecheeba

Tried the old ghetto oven trick. Still nothing. Maybe a bad capacitor...??? Who knows, Toshiba ain't talking. And guess what? I ain't buying anymore of their crap until they do. Own up to your mistake Toshiba!

Log1c

I purchased a Toshiba Satellite L505D-GS6000 from best buy in August of 2010. I intially got it because of the better-than-average specs for the price. I didn't get the bang for the buck I thought I was getting, however. Within 3 months of me having it the sound, usb, and card reader stopped working. I tried everything to fix it, since I consider myself somewhat tech savy. I've worked on and rebuilt many desktop computers and I can honestly say that I've never run into this type of hardware malfunction before. I talked with Toshiba CS and they agreed to replace the motherboard in it since it was still under warranty, of course. After receiving my laptop back from the repair depot I was eager to see how long it would be before the same problem reared its ugly head again. 6 months later it happened again, and as I had done previously I sent it back to the depot. They replaced the system board again. Then, shortly after my warranty expired low and behold it occured once more. I was extremely frustrated at this point and decided to google the problem. When I found this forum I was surprised at the sheer numbers of customers with the same issue. I've been a fan of amd and I prefer it over intel any day, but I'm not quite sure if it was their screw up and not Toshibas. Needless to say I bought a motherboard that was pulled from the same series and model....guess what? The same malfunction happened again. I'm almost 100% sure it is manufacturing defect present in all the L505D series computers. Its either a lead or every motherboard they punched out for this series is defective. Somebody's math was off somewhere...that's all I can say. So what's the solution to the problem? Simple...don't ever buy a Toshiba computer again because obviously they aren't even trying to acknowledge this issue with their customers. Why? Because they don't want to spend a crazy amount of money recalling these products. Once again, I worked many computers, I tried reflowing this thing and had no luck and Ive still to this today never seen anything like this. Weither its the Southbridge IC or a lead, at this point it doesn't matter because I will never fix this computer.
princek12

I have the same problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite L505D-GS6000, and neither the sound, the USB ports, nor the web camera works. Unfortunately, this happened 2 months after the warranty on the computer expired. I contacted the Toshiba technical support center in hopes that they will acknowledge the problem and, in the spirit of customer loyalty, fix it even though the warranty period on the laptop had run out. I was wrong. They offered no help, other than connect me to a repair department that wants to charge me a hefty price to fix this apparently garbage piece of machine they call a Toshiba laptop.

I will never, ever buy a Toshiba laptop, even if it is the last laptop remaining on planet earth. The Toshiba corporation sucks and did not do the right thing this time. 

Occasional Contributor
pyramidhvacr

ok in f2- dvd, usb, is passed by . I have reloaded system after formating before now. It not hardware but something is changing the drivers or Reg.file. The 1st time sound poped back on after windows update loaded. I made a repair disk loaded in dvd at reloaded the driver or changed the reg. back., sound and usb back on online. But  many time no sound driver, usb. Maybe chipset drivers. I save the 1st Reg. file but L505 will not let me install it back. So as many times i got the sound back in 1 month dropped 8-12 times. But now it blocking the data from reading the usb,dvd disk. Now can not reload repair disk. Windows run fine. Can download and run in windows only. Wish there a way to block or lock the regedit files to see what changing it. We need a new BIOS update. Something is hacking and changing the files.  

Toecheeba

I think you may be on to something here. Checking the specs for my L505D-LS5010 from this site, it says I have the AMD M860G chipset. But when I run CPU-Z id, it says I have 760GX chipset. So perhaps the chipset is not being identified correctly and Windows is loading the wrong drivers for it. I'm gonna give XP and maybe Linux a twirl and see what happens. Though I'm guessing it has more to do with our BIOS being corrupted or something.

Log1c

Just from my experience, I really don't think its a bios or software problem. I had ubuntu installed on a separate partition and ran it. No sound, no usb, no card reader, and no cam was the result. Plus a software/BIOS version problem wouldn't explain why everything will boot up normally and then a buzzing sound occurs and you loose all the functions I just listed. The buzzing sound has occurred with every board Ive had in it (I have had 4). It is not completely unlikely, but like I implied...I genuinely believe it is hardware related. All symptoms point to hardware. If anyone can prove me wrong, then that would be great for all of us.
Toecheeba

[ Edited ]

I concur. Next time I have some precious free time...I'm going over this thing with the ol multimeter and see what I can find. I've already spent too much time on this stoopid thing and it's been moved to the bottom of my priority list for now, so...

If only someone at Toshiba would chime in and let us know what the problem is so we can fix it ourselves. All these lappy's are probably past warranty anyway so it isn't their responsiblity to repair them anymore. So what's the deal? Throw us a bone!

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

I have had 3 new mother board replacements by Toshiba Repair Depot indicating a definite hardware problem. Dell and HP are having their problems with video resulting from from BGA soldering problems due to the leadless solder beads that tend to deteriorate.  Identical problems, different BGA, different but identical results. The last time the motherboard was replaced in my L505D-LS5007, I notice that both the northbridge and southbridge BGA's have been epoxied (red) to the board I assume in an attempt to solve the problem.  It worked for 6 months but enough time to be now out of warranty. I have been in the PWB industry for many years and epoxying a BGA to the board in hopes to solve a solder probelm rarely is a solution as the epoxy expands and contracts differently than the printed wiring board which will probably worsen the solder ball problem.  It is a hardware problem with my L505D-LS5007 as Toshiba fixed the no sound/no usb problem 3 times by replacing the motherboard. Let me know if anyone needs my laptop for parts as I have spent too much time with this poorly designed Toshiba laptop.

Log1c

Toshiba is not going to throw you a bone, and I am pretty sure this last guy is right. I noticed the red epoxy as well and I figured they had used leadless soldering which as he said detiorates over a certain amount of time. To put it into layman's terms....they screwed up. They manufactured a pos. They won't own up to the responsibility and they have already tried a cheap fix on it because they realized they screwed up. It is what it is...there are many tech heads out there and none have been able to find a fix for the problem because its a manufacturing defect.

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

I submitted a second Better Business Bureau complaint (http://www.la.bbb.org/Home.aspx) today as I never received any response from the one I sent 3 months ago. I am asking for a working laptop as this one has cost me time and money.  May be a waste of time but typing and email is cheap! Nothing is lost.

Acronym for today: TOILET

Toshiba Only Inspects L505D-xxxxxx Expecting Trash 

Occasional Contributor
cbhattarai

First check the speaker and if it is proper, then check weather you have installed the driver CD properly or not..

Occasional Contributor
shwsrvcs

I aint the police, but poh leez STOP before you hurt someone.  Spam is high in fat content.

Toecheeba

So its looking like our only solutions would be... removing, reballing, and reflowing the SB. Or, find a non-faulty replacement board from a different laptop that will fit in our models (highly unlikely), or pull the RAM and HDD and put it in a used laptop from ebay. The last choice is looking like the most cost effective.

It's a shame that Toshiba would take the time to prevent zombie outbreaks by including an impact smart HDD in their new laptops. But they won't take the time to help out their once dedicated customers.

jeremy687

same problem happened last august L505-ES5018 happened right after warranty no software fix has to be hardware

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Re: no sound / usb on satellite l505d-Hidden Safe Mode Found by Windows 8 preview

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.

Occasional Contributor
pyramidhvacr

windows 8 stated reboot pc in a hidden safe mode driver will not load. see if you get safe message. will post on youtube asap

Occasional Contributor
pyramidhvacr

This is a hidden safe mode that is loading. Installing window 8 preview stated i need to reboot out of safe mode but i not in safe mode?????