Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

Re: no sound / usb on satellite l505d-gs6000

I JUST TRIED TO READ A NEW POST I RECEIVED AND IT REQUIRED ME TO LOGIN TO THE FORUM BUT THEN RESPONDS WITH "ACCESS DENIED, YOU DO NOT HAVE PRIVELAGES".  I AM SENDING THIS BY LOGGING BY REPLYING TO AN OLDER POSTING IN AN ATTEMPT TO BYPASS THIS NEW LOGIN PROCESS.  SEEMS THAT I AND I ASSUME OTHERS HAVE NOW BEEN LOCKED OUT. YOU MAY NOT EVEN GET THIS MESSSAGE FOR THE SAME REASON BUT I HOPE YOU DO. IT'S TIME WE NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT IT APPEARS TOSHIBA IS DISCONNECTING ME (US) FROM THE FORUM MAYBE TO GET ME/US TO GO AWAY.  HEY, IF SOMEONE ON THIS FORUM FINDS AN ECONOMICAL SOLUTION OTHER THAN TOSHIBA THAN THIS FORUM IS SUCCESSFUL FOR ALL INCLUDING TOSHIBA, IT'S ALSO TIME TO POST OUR EMAIL ADDRESSES SO WE CAN KEEP IN TOUCH.AS THIS FORUM MAY BE ENDING Blessings! Richard, rcfitch@sbcglobal.net

prima_h

mine happened in january of this year.  it was running a little hot but was ok. was about 4 months out of warranty. it went to sleep, i went to college. in the evening when i got back no sound.  i have tried restoring to restore points, reinstalling drivers, using the window recovery environment to reinstall drivers.  i have tried unsuccessfully to restore to factory settings. in this it goes to the very last part and will keep rebooting not installing all the software. thus i have to take the disc out start it in safe mode with no sound or usb. i actually replaced it with another computer from toshiba, all my laptops have been toshibas thus far but after this one gives out( i only got it because i got it dirt cheap like for 185 dollars brand new , display copy) i wont buy another one.  well done your inbuilt obselesence worked this one time, but never again.  a former toshiba customer

AshlandPcCare

ok i also have the same problem with one of my customers l505D-gs6000 so now i think its time we do what we should of done months ago compare notes.everyone who is haveing this problem with audio/usb and webcam what was you doing before it went out examples windows update, gameing etc. i work on computers and right now working on a fix so anyones input of prior to the mess up will be greatly appreciated

Occasional Contributor
rbockman

Ashland, I think the conclusion is that the southbridge chipset has to be reballed on the motherboard.

L'enfer c'est les autres
Occasional Contributor
shwsrvcs

Hey Ashland,

I think the reball is the stopgap and adding an additional support system on the chip to hold it on in the times that it heats up too much is the cure.

mine went down when I was driving to work.  I had been using it in the morning with no worry and then packed it up in my bag to take up to hollywood, I didn't realize until a couple of days later about the webcam and sound, but the USB I noticed as soon as I got to work and hooked in my KVR.  What I remember was how hot that it had gotten during the trip and also that the battery had dwindled completely down in that time. 

hydros803

Same issue as everyone i tried everything, (reinstall windows, update drivers, update bios...ect) nothing works 

annam

Same problem here.  L505D-GS6000

Recovered the laptop because it started freezing up when loading the Windows desktop.  Assumed it was spyware because the user had pop-ups and other spy-ware related activitiy.

Recovered machine 6 times and it freezes during the recovery process at the EXACT same spot every time even with a BRAND NEW hard drive installed.

Flashed the bios, didn't help.

After the machine freezes while configuring windows, if you reboot it you are brought to the Windows login and the only option to choose is Administrator. When you click on it you are told that account is disabled so there is no way to get to the desktop after the recovery fails.

I was able to finally bypass that problem and get to the windows desktop and the sound and usb ports were not working even after installing the latest drivers from the toshiba website.

My user has been without a laptop for 2 weeks now. Support was no help because the machine is out of warranty.

We just bought a Dell.

Occasional Contributor
rbockman

This is my latest e-mail to access@tais.toshiba.com

Toshiba, I'm astounded by your lack of support for your customer base. What has happened to the Japanese tradition of honor? In earlier times someone would have committed hari kira for your dishonesty.

Ron Bockman
2542 S. 10th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19148

L'enfer c'est les autres
Occasional Contributor
rbockman

Stopped at a local repair shop, asked about reballing, minimum cost $100.

L'enfer c'est les autres
Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

I have tried 3 times with BBB but no return resonse from Toshiba.  Please keep trying the BBB as something needs to be corrected for us and for the reputation of Toshiba. I hate to see this for all concerned. 

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

Just a concer!  My laptop was repaired 3 times by Toshiba TAIS with new mother boards replaced each time. Reballing for $100 may not be the solution.  Mine only lasted 4 months or less between the 3 repairs.  Does anyone have a better experience in reballing?

AshlandPcCare

ya i done contacted toshiba and they never responded back its ridiculous how toshiba really is showing that customers are just throw aways for them. btw when you said 3 motherboards was the 3 other motherboards the exact same as the original motherboard?

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

I did not take it apart on the first two repairs as it would have voided warranty.  Now that it is out of warranty and I am an engineer with considerable printed wiring board design experience, I see that the northbridge BGA (under the fan and has cooling) and the southbridge BGA both have red epoxy between them and the main printed wiring board.  Looks lke an attempt to fix the problem but it did not work in my case. The unit was replaced quickly so I don't know if they replaced the motherboard or just reflowed or reballed the BGA.  No answer so I don't know what does or does not work to solve this problem.  I tend to not waste anymore time or money with this problem on the L505D models.

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc.
9740 Irvine Blvd
Irvine, CA 92618-1697
Phone: (949) 461-4321
Fitch, Richard

We have closed our file and we appreciate your using the Better Business Bureau. This complaint will remain in our file on this company and will be a part of the report we issue to the public.

If we can assist you in the future, please contact us.

Thank you.

Complaint ID: 98672854
Complaint Classification:
Complaint Description - Posted 2/23/2012 8:37:11 AM
I have had 3 new mother board replacements by Toshiba Repair Depot indicating a definite hardware problem. Lost valuable time in my business due to frequent product failures. It appears that the L505D-LS5007 and actually all the L505D series are a poor designs as Toshiba fixed the no sound/no usb problem 3 times by replacing the motherboard each time for a very short temporary fix. I have lost time and money over this flawed piece of equipment. See http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Audio-Sound/no-sound-usb-on-satellite-l505d-gs6000/m-p/270563#M8846 to see the numerous complaints regarding this problem.
Complaint Summary
Toshiba laptop Model L505D-LS5007, Serial # 4A200210Q. Sent in this laptop 3 times for repairs. All three times the system board failure.
Resolution Sought
Would like a replacement laptop that remains operational and does not have to be repaired every 3 or 4 months.

Additional Information
Date Problem First Occurred:
10/24/2010
Product or Service: Repairs were quick but did not last long. No support after warranty!
Model Name or Number: L505D-LS5007
Date Purchased: 11/18/2010
Order Number:
Amount In Dispute: $0.00

Company's Response

Company's Initial Response - Posted 02/24/2012
The customer’s computer has been out of warranty since 04/23/2011. The last repair was completed in May 2011 which had a 30 day guarantee on parts replaced and labor, which ended June 2011. The repair and or technical support is now the responsibility of the customer. At this time we consider this matter closed.
Initial Response Summary
The customer’s computer has been out of warranty since 04/23/2011. The last repair was completed in May 2011 which had a 30 day guarantee on parts replaced and labor, which en

Consumer's Rebuttal

Consumer's Rebuttal - Posted 05/03/2012
My laptop failed (No SOUND or USB) after a year of service and fortunately had a 3 yr warranty. Each time it was fixed, the motherboard was replaced. By TAIS quickly but only lasted a few weeks to 3 months. It appears that the problem was with the Southbridge BGA. Maybe solder ba;; failure or over heating as it is away from the cooling fan. Sometimes ignoring the problem will cause it to go away but my experience from being a retired AT&T engineer, ignoring your customer base when you have a problem never is a good idea in the long run. A response to the many people on Toshiba Forum: Re: no sound / usb on satellite l505d-gs6000 who unfortunately bought a L505D model with BGA problems. You have lost a lot of good customers by not even acknowledging the problem. Maybe a coupon or a used replacement would help these fine people back to buying Toshiba again. All were good customers.

Company's Final Response

Company's Final Response - Posted 05/07/2012
The customer’s computer has been out of warranty since 04/23/2011. The last repair was completed in May 2011 which had a 30 day guarantee on parts replaced and labor, which ended June 2011. The repair and or technical support is now the responsibility of the customer. At this time we consider this matter closed.

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT! OUT OF WARRANTY, NO LEMON LAW, I GUESS 3 REPAIRS IN SHORT TIME AND TIME LOST DID NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT OF SHOWING A BAD PRODUCT THAT TOSHIBA WON'T ADMIT THEY HAD A PROBLEM. NO CUSTOMER CARE, SO LET'S GO ON AND BUY ELSEWHERE.  ANYBODY WANT TO DO A YOUTUBE VIDEO ON THIS?

Occasional Contributor
rbockman

rcfitch, Thanks for that post, it tells a great story about the company.

L'enfer c'est les autres
Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

Had to do this tound-a-bout login a second time. Seems that I have again been excluded from participating in this foreum as when I try to view new posts, they won't won't let me have access.  I have to read old posted notes (I keep them all) inorder to stay on this forum. Please keep the forum going.  Seems like Toshiba is getting rid of the mavericks except they don'y realize that we were some of their most loyal customers. I work for AT&T and I do influence PC/Laptop purchases. What a shame that a company like tis has to rip you all off like this.  I bet the Toshiba CEO is not aware of this. Probably some engineers trying to save their jobs at our expense.  God bless them anyway. 

AshlandPcCare

i agree because they have been kicking every post i put on here the reason they kick every post off here is because they bbb would see it but guess what they cant delete the screen shots of the post i will be takeing lol

lucky-10

Same problem here....

L505D-LS5006

Waiting in the long line of unsatisfied customers.

Shame on your sense of business Toshiba!

Stand behind your products.

Otherwise,I own a lot of your products and started changing my mind.

Occasional Contributor
SPerkins

I have had the same problem now since August 2011.  I figured it out today after I noticed I had audio working one time yesterday, but then not later.  I had unplugged my laptop part way through the day.  So today, I powered up my laptop with the power supply, then unplugged it and shut down.  I unplugged the power supply and powered it back up.  My audio device is recognized and my USB ports are working!!!  I'm so excited!!!

Occasional Contributor
SPerkins

Hey, I figured out how to get mine working, 10 months later.  I powered up with the power supply, then unplugged it and powered down.  I unplugged the power supply and powered it back up.  My audio device is recognized and my USB ports are working!!!  I'm so excited!!!   Do you think it could be the power supply?  It is a replacement because the first one went out after six months.