awsdigi

no sound / usb on satellite l505d-gs6000

[ Edited ]

well suddenly my usb ports and sound stopped working. in device manager there is an exclamation mark next to high definition audio controller and it says device is unable to start. i have reinstalled / updated / disabled & enabled it and done everything i can think of and there is still no sound. the universal serial bus controllers don't even show up in device manager. i think they still work though i can charge my ipod and what not with them but windows won't detect anything plugged in. i recovered to out of box settings etc and that didn't fix it either

awsdigi

Re: no sound / usb on satellite l505d-gs6000

still having the same problems and getting no help, wonderful

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L505D-GS6000 

i recovered to out of box settings etc and that didn't fix it either

That tells us the problem is not due to software on the hard drive.

Locate a Toshiba Service Center

-Jerry
mti
mti

[ Edited ]

I'm having this exact same problem i managed to solve it before by formatting and reinstalling windows 7 but would like to avoid having to do that again.

Edit:  Forgot to mention i have the exact same Laptop modle Toshiba Satellite L505D-GS6000

Occasional Contributor
benvanderjagt

There is a small possibility that the southbridge chip is giving trouble.  This would be a hardware failure.  (Please note, the possibility is small.)  Can you test with a Linux Live CD, like Knoppix?  If plugging in a USB mouse and booting from Knoppix gives you a working mouse, then it's software related.  If the mouse still doesn't work, then it's most likely hardware related.

Further in the direction of it being hardware related, if the mouse does not work in Knoppix, but it still lights up (assuming it's an optical mouse that would light up otherwise), then it's quite possible that the cable or connector to the USB port is bad.  If the mouse lights up but there is no indication whatsoever that the laptop sees the mouse, then it's quite possible that the controller is bad.  Judging from the fact that your USB ports still charge your iPod, I would say that the cable and connector are most likely fine.

Further in the direction of it being software related, it could be one of a dozen things.  The first that would come to mind is a bad ACPI driver. 

Finally, if you conclude that your southbridge is bad, and particularly if a technician can confirm that as well, I recommend getting two or three technician's opinions regarding repair.  The majority of computer shops don't know what to do with a failed BGA chip like a southbridge.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Toshiba technician.  I'm just a peer user hanging out on the forums.  If your laptop is under warranty, talk with Toshiba first.  Take my advice only as information and not as directions.

Kir
Kir

I get the same trouble and spend 3 days until i didn't installed Toshiba Service Station programm, like throught 1 hour it downloaded all needed drivers and installed it. Restart - and u got everything working)))

LarryLitle

I am getting the same issue.  I have reinstalled the drivers, did a partial restore, banged my head on the wall.  

What can I do to fix this issue?

adanabana

Re: no sound / USB on satellite l505d-gs6000

[ Edited ]

i, too, am 1 of U - identical model (L505D-GS6000), identical symptoms (no USB, no audio devices, yet USB port does power a notebook cooler pad) and identical efforts over span of days.

Misery may love company but i love solutions.

anyone care to exchange further details of history/symptoms to try isolating cause(s) and possibly fix or avert prob?

if so i'm happy to share all i know.  

more importantly - ANYONE FIND A QUICK'/SURE FIX YET?

chris365

Re: no sound / USB on satellite l505d-gs6000

I have the same problem with my l505d-ls5007.   Also it started freezing on me and I had to disable some stuff.  Do not restore to factory settings.   All you do is erase stuff that you want to keep.   It does not help.   If you have the freezing problem and you do not know what you are doing then you have a lot trouble because it will freeze  in the middle of reinstall and it causes a lot of problems.  If anyone has had that problem then I can help them through it.  I think it revolves around the installation of  Toshiba Extras.  On the sound and usb I have fo sound no answers.  On thing that has help me was restoring to pass system backup before I had this issue.   Eventually if you do not watch it then you will corrupt all your system restore points.   If you have a system restore before you have had this problem then give it a try.  If it works then I would suggest making a system restorepoint on a disk.  That is different form system recovery disk.  You should really make both.  If you have done system restore then all your system save points should of been deleted.

ogis

I have the same problem, no usb, no webcam, no sound plus I'm not that computer savey. My warrenty ended about three days before this started happening. Have tried all suggestions I've seen on this board. Patience thin. The only thing I haven't done is shutdown after downloading the new Service Station. Fingers crossed.

ogis

Well, restart didn't work. I forgot to mention it's the MS driver 6.1.7601.17514 that says it's (code 10) won't start.   I got the Realtek 6.0.1.5904 to work two days ago but I was offline. Today I went online and it (Realtek driver) worked then I went offline and it quit and the MS driver failed to load. The two different drivers seem to be common to each non-functioning device, USBs, sound, webcam.

Alanaktion

I'm having the exact same problem still... It seems as though either the motherboard is buggy or the drivers aren't built correctly, because there are several different threads full of people with the identical problem, and none of them have solutions yet...

deanlusk

Add one more to the list. It came out of nowhere, it seemed. I thought it was some visiting kids who'd downloaded something that crippled the audio driver. Then I noticed there was no USB in Device Manager. Then the lock-ups.

I actually got mad and... lightly "tapped" the screen with my knuckle after a long while of useless troubleshooting. Cracked the LCD. Yay. Installed a new one, same problem.

Just got through restoring to factory settings and it's still useless. Deleted Norton because it seemed to lock up when that was loading. Still locks up. In safe mode right now.

Occasional Contributor
mholcomb

Count me in, I have a "slightly" different model : L505-SD5002.  Close enough I say.  Exact same problems, and like some others, I did a full system restore, wiped my computer but it didn't do anything at all to help with USB disappearing and sound Code 10.

Frustrated isn't the word.

vlemus

This is too weird. Obviously something is going on for so many people to be having the same problem and have is happen around the same time. Around the end of August my niece was using my satellite l505-gs6000 laptop when all the sudden the speakers started making a weird noise. She restarted it and they were fine until I turned it on the next day. It did this for a few weeks. I would have to restart my laptop after I turned it on every time. Now they just wont work. I've system restored to before it happened,I've installed and uninstalled every driver I can find. Its really pissing me off because its not an isolated incident. I have no clue if anything else quit working like my web cam because i never use it.

lesm

I am having the exact same problem with a L505D-LS5006.  I have spent hours looking for a solution and trying every suggestion that I could find including installing the drivers from the Realtek site. 

Toshiba, are you listening?  A ton of us are having problems--many on just barely out of warranty machines.  Please help us!  This isn't a new problem.  I keep finding posts about this problem on machines from 1-2 years ago.

Occasional Contributor
shwsrvcs

I've had the exact same problem since about the same time the original poster has had it on my l505d gs6000.  I make my living Web Design and Computer fixing and considered my self pretty savvy with computer repairing and this problem is beyond my scope of knowledge.  But if anyone has any solutions or ideas, Please share them with the rest of us.

I didn't get the warranty when I bought this gs6000 as a refurbished model at Micro Center because I figured, it would make it through the year and I'd be getting a new one again soon enough.  I would just use it as a go between for my work computer and my home computer and to work as a mini recording studio set up when I would have the need.  Because of this factor, I was using and external soundcard with the laptop and so It was immediately apparent that the USB had gone down.  SImple enough I thought, but once I tried to switch back to the sound card and driver on board, I began to suspect that something else may be at issue here.

No Usb No sound is what I searched on my browser but the results that came up were less than stellar.  Too many blow hards and not enough information that was applicable was what I found at that point.  This message had just either been posted or hadn't yet when I first started looking around here for an answer.  I'd like to suggest that all of you people that think "restoring to factory" is the proper way to solve an issue that what your suggesting is akin to telling someone that was injured and has lost the usage of his legs and voice, that they will be back to normal if they just replace their brain.  It would probably work (if it were really possible) but it doesn't address the actual problem at all.

What that problem is I'm still not sure but I can sure tell you what it's not.

It's definitely not a software issue as I've tried swapping in multiple hard drives some with fresh install's and others already installed with OS's, the drive that was in it when the problem started  has worked perfectly fine with no usb, sound, webcam, or card reader issues once I moved it to another laptop. 

It's definitely not the Bios update causing the issue.  I hadn't updated the BIOS at the time that I first started experiencing the equipment failure.  I did update the BIOS eventually while going over possible omissions to having the computer completely updated and up to manufacturer spec.

Going back to the "Full Restore Guy" for a sec,  Your "go to" answer does nothing to advance or to help and only hinders developing an understanding of what is in all actuality, a very simple system that governs computer technology.  Most of the time, simple steps can be taken to get a computer back to running optimally without that need to blow up the building and rebuild an exact duplicate.  I am constantly amazed at the condition of the software that most people use is when I trouble shoot somebody's problems.  Most people do not understand why to, or care to take the time to keep their OS and virus protection up to date or why they shouldn't install that toolbar for the browser, but if you keep having them just hit the reset button, they never will.

So what does this blow hard think it is since Mr typealot (me) thinks he's so smart?

It's definitely a hard ware issue.  The Southbridge

Why?

I've spent my spare time since this happened to the machine trying to learn more about the circuitry of the motherboard and how the processes work so I can add the knowledge that I gain by solving this problem to my skill/tool set.  Not just this motherboard but any circuit boards too.  I've picked up a LG DVD recorder VCR combo and to LCD screen TV's the other day that did not work at all for only 14 bucks each at a going out of business sale and have gotten them up and running at a cost of 10 bucks more total for a new LG dvd drive from a Goodwill and a Few capacitors from Marvac.  I'm building a laptop scratch using different components form different manufacturers parts that I've had here or picked up on ebay.  It's an AMD processor from an Acer on a Gateway MOBO, in a Toshiba casing with an HP monitor.  It works very well but I still need to get a keyboard to fit in the toshiba space with a gateway cable.  But the Toshiba l505d gs6000 has pushed me to the brink of changing professions.  If I get it fixed I'm going to switch my business from being an all in one Adult Website Designer and IT Department to being a computer motherboard and electronic equipment repair shop!

I can fix pretty much anything electronic these days pretty easily and I can look at a basic circuit board and see things that may obviously wrong with them and fix those too, but even after this whole year of messing around with different things to try and learn what I don't know I'm still not sure what is wrong with this Satellite laptop.  I don't have the skill yet to just start popping off resistors and capacitors from that motherboard to try and find the right one to replace or to test which mosfet might have burnt out and I've not been able to find a service manual that doesn't just end with "replace board" when the repair steps get close to dealing with what seems to be the issue with what is otherwise a really great computer. 

IF anyone has fixed this, please let us know, If your close buy I'll buy you a beer or something and we can sit around talk shop!

nosir

No driver will work for audio and usb on my L505D any suggestions?

nosir

If you find a fix I will buy you a drink!

Occasional Contributor
jw23

i work on laptops for a living, and after reading all your accounts on the problem, i'd love to take a crack at it.  is there anyone in the Indiana area who would be willing to ship me their laptop so i can work on it?  i realize this is a strange request but i thought i'd throw it out there.   let me know :smileyhappy: