pearlinet

Re: no sound / usb on satellite l505d-gs6000

I'm having the same problem did you find a solution? I've done everything and when I called Toshiba they said it may be a hardware issue. My friend who has been trying to fix it says that if it is a hardware problem than it could cost a couple hundred dollars to fix but this computer is ony a year and half old.
pearlinet

Re: no sound / USB on satellite l505d-gs6000

I also had this problem I had to have a IT person reformat everything so that it would start up properly, he only couldn't get the drivers to install.
Zerix

Thank you for your patience. After doing some research on your concerns, we have concluded that there are no known issues with the Motherboard in this product line. Since the standard limited warranty on your unit expired on 05/25/2011, any cost associated with the repair and/or technical support is now your responsibility.

Thank you,

________ _______
Better Business Bureau Coordinator
Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc
.....I posted a link to this particular thread in support. Maybe if enough of you file we will get recognized.
Occasional Contributor
Inconnu

It is completely stupid that the BBB thinks that this is an issue that should be dealt with by the owner, and not Toshiba. if they actually did "research on your concerns", they definitely should have realized that although they don't necessarily have this issue on their files as one of their "known issues", they should have realized from the activity on the web that this clearly should be recognized as a known issue... But I guess everyone who comes to this forum really should file a complaint with the BBB so we can get this issue addressed.

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

Please all of you enter a complaint to the BBB.  I did 2 weeks ago.  The more the quicker they wioll have to take notice and this is a Toshiba manufaaturing issue sonce they replace my mother board three times under warranty and now it is gone again, same problems, no sound, no usb and won't fully restore to factory settings.

Occasional Contributor
shwsrvcs

jw23 wrote:

we should form a mob and protest toshiba's offices.. where ever they may be. lol

They are right up the street from my house... actually... lol

Occasional Contributor
Inconnu

^ In that case you should stop by their offices and send them my regards in the most disruptive and unpleasant way possible.

Pyroboy185

I have a similar issue. My Sound just WILL NOT Work!!!
Couple weeks ago i struggled just to get Windows to work...I even went as far as wiping my entire system doing a factory reset to try fixing it. During that time is also when my sound went. I finally got fed up with not even being able to get into my laptop that(THANKFULLY) i contacted a friend of mine and he was able to fix it. Getting back into the laptop, I find that whatever he did to fix my Windows/Log in Issue, did NOT fix my sound.
Ive tried Enabling/Disabling my sound
Deleting High Def audio controller and rebooting my laptop(it was said on Youtube, or well typed as people watching have no sound, that you can try going to delete the hardware, and when prompted check, then uncheck the are you sure box, and thats suppose to solve it(idk if it might work, worth a try though, I however do not get a box that i can check/uncheck when prompted))
Microsoft Fix It
Basic Troubleshooting
DLing/Installing Realtek Hgh Def Audio controller, which was suggested by Microsoft tech support area
Tried DLing/installing the realtek audio from Toshiba
Obviously during my windows/log in issue ive already done a factory reset
Earliest System restore is AFTER i had sound problems
Not 1 thing has gotten me an ounce of sound, least not from my laptop....
And apparently theres no solutions here yet...
I do NOT however have issues with my USB...least none that I know of...However...
When my laptop goes into Sleep mode(or is suppose too), rather than a blinking orange light in the power slot, it stays green. And my screen goes black, BUT will not come back, it freezes up, and i end up having to restart my laptop. This issue also came about around the time the Windows issue took place. Not sure if its connected to the sound or not, but...seeing as all 3 hit around the same time...id think it unlikely that they aren't.
Toshiba repair is not an option for me...119$ just for a checkup to find the issue, then another 1-200$ to fix the issue, depending on what it is...thats about 50%+ what i payed for the thing, and its only 2yrs old...
Apparently, Toshiba Repair is the only 'possible' solution at this point, as ive found other topics amongst these forums with similar issues, and the solution is-Factory reset, and if that dont work-Link to locate a toshiba service station/repair station w.e...
I'm going to talk to my 2 tech friends, and see if they are able to fix it, if they can't...well...im not gonna be a very happy camper...

Btw...
Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983
and ive got the same Exclamation mark within the triangle at my Hgh Def Audio Controller, with 'Code 10'-Device will not start.
Upon reinstall I get, the device could not be installed, yatta yatta device will not start code 10...
Fix it/Troubleshooting-Some hardware changes may not have been detected-try what you were doing before to see if this has resolved your issue...of course it doesn't
Realtek device from microsoft says its not compatible software
Realtek from Toshiba refuses to install...

pmuna

Guys!!! Unbelievable, so many complaning but still no response from Toshiba. 

Pyroboy185, my laptop is experiencing the exact same issues and I feel the exact same way.

I keep coming back to this forum, I have spend way too much time trying to fix this issue, to give up at this juncture. I will definitely pursue legal means.

Occasional Contributor
jw23

someone send me one!! i'll work on it!! lol

Occasional Contributor
shwsrvcs

Inconnu wrote:

It is completely stupid that the BBB thinks that this is an issue that should be dealt with by the owner, and not Toshiba. if they actually did "research on your concerns", they definitely should have realized that although they don't necessarily have this issue on their files as one of their "known issues", they should have realized from the activity on the web that this clearly should be recognized as a known issue... But I guess everyone who comes to this forum really should file a complaint with the BBB so we can get this issue addressed.

Definetly, the way to get this to be a known issue is to have everybody who has the issue to stand up and be counted.  I have, and it sounds like enough people are now coming to the end of the exauhstive journey Toshiba is sending us on to find a solution to this problem so that they can do as any business intended purpose is and that is to make money (and not give it away).

I tried every darn thing there was to try that would keep the cost of it all below that of just buying a whole new laptop.  Not a single one worked.  If any options were viable such as reflowing or re-balling, then they would only be temporary at best.  Buying a new motherboard? It would cost as much as a new laptop and then still not be guaranteed to last any longer than mine did (only 2 to 3 months).  This problem is tantamount to buying a vehicle that is prone to need repairs constantly and always seems to have some problem.  There is a "Lemon Law" for vehicles like that.  Maybe the BBB will get all of our letters and we can get Toshiba to take notice of our plight because this is a growing issue now that seems to be congealing. 

The time and effort alone trying to prove that I wasn't crazy for not being able to fix this is staggering.  I grew a great deal of contempt for other companies (the fixya, manualowl, retrevo type websites) as a result of searching so much to track down any  leads on a strategy to or a solution for this.

Everyone please if your having this same problem, go to the BBB site right now, so you can play your role in system in place to right these kinds of wrongs.  It's the way free market economy and civilization edicts intended for us to address this type of deficiencies.  If enough people speak up, change will be required by the bodies that they speak up about.

DG

Pyroboy185

[ Edited ]

Alrighty, I've got some VERY good news, and some Semi bad News!!.

Before any of that, Im not big on tech, so...idk how much help ill be, but, ima try.
And on another note, I mentioned ion my previous post i didn't think i had any issues with my USB, then found out that i do...:/
Anyways, first Good News!!! I managed to get my Sound back!!! So All Hope IS NOT lost!!!
Bad news...Idk exactly how that happened, maybe it was just a Miracle bestowed upon me, but lets hope not for everyone else's sakes :smileyhappy:
So, I went to Best Buy, an associate directed me to a Geek Squad desk, where an employee there replicated basically all the possible solutions to try and resolve it.

Trouble shooting
Uninstall/reboot
Installing realtek from Toshiba site
checked out my Device Manager and such
Updating the driver
then went and tried a USB solution

Now, 1 thing im noticing now, is, if you have NO sound, video Game controller, theres your#1 sign you've sound issues, as without that section, you won't have sound...Mine, Now again, has a Sound Video and Game controllers option, of which it didn't before.

Anyways, the guy brought up a USB sound thing, some 'Creative Entertainment' thing, of which you plug into your USB< do a CD install, and its suppose to bypass your Audio thing, allowing you to plug in speakers or headphones and listen to movies/tv/music/have sound from games/w.e
We did that, and after all was done, the guy I elieve uninstalled my the High Def Audio controller, and we rebooted so the CE device could take effect. We then realized my USB wouldn't work, and well...alas I was informed, unfortunately it was a Motherboard issue, and would cost a good 300$+ that i dont have in order to fix.
So, first thing, if you've a local Bestbuy/Geek Squad store, stop in there, and see if theres a fix, idk about stores everywhere, but, my in person exam of things was free, and the guy was decent :smileyhappy:, so Definately recommend giving that a try.
Now, im not sure if something done during that may have knocked something loose(or back in place, or w.e), or if it was maybe a bump or something while i was out doing errands with it on my car floor, but, upon returning home, I turned my laptop on, my sound thing was uninstalled, and laptop not having run/been turned on in about 2-3hrs, turned laptop on, and it went through the installing devices thing, and miraculously, My sound WAS infact Reinstalled and is now WORKING!!
For how long, im not sure, but, i hardly ever turn my laptop off, so...i think, im gonna keep it running for a while.
oh and i highly doubt this is relevant, but, just incase, he did change my laptops power settings to high performance...
Apparently, my USB drive is working again as well...Im not gonna risk checking out sleep mode though...(Edit to add, that my laptop for w.e reason ended up going into Sleep Mode, and Worked perfectly :smileyvery-happy:)(I will NOT turn off my laptop though)
Whether this is permanent(per say), or temporary, I cannot say at this time, and honestly, don't care to jeapordize my sound at this time, but i hope this helps SOMEONE, whose maybe a bit more knowledgeable about tech than I am, and maybe can duplicate the fix :smileyhappy: 

invision12

i just currently experienced this problem but with a twist, my sound works just fine but my USB's do not...

Ive tried everything that I can possibly do. btw my model is L505d-5983

Ive yet to contact toshiba on this but it sounds like it got you guys no where lol.

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

The L505D-****** has a problem with the BGA soldering to board connection. Loses sound and then USB.  The BGA can be purchased for under $11.00 from eBay but finding someone to remove the original and reflowing that part is a problem.  This is not a DIY project.  I did contact an authorized Toshiba after warranty repair facility in Houston that will repair it. Here is the letter I received after I described the problem to them vi email:

Hi Richard, thank you for your request from our web site.   Sorry to hear about the problem with your laptop.  Yes, we can help with that.   Without looking at your unit it’s difficult to accurately say what the problem might be or to make an estimate.   We can replace the southbridge and provide an underfill like the kind used in cellphones.   That underfill is rated for a lot more stress and thermal variation than laptop counterparts.

This repair should run in the range of about $165 to about $185, parts and labor, depending upon what all we need to do with it.  But we’d really need to look at it to know for sure.

We’d be happy to fix it for you if you want to ship it in.   Our address is 6950 Portwest Drive, Suite 100, Houston, TX 77024. 

The Repair Tag form can be accessed and printed by clicking here: http://j.b5z.net/i/u/2038610/i/Atiwa_Repair_Tag_121310.pdf

We offer free diagnostics as long as you decide to repair the machine.   If you choose not to, then a $50 estimate fee would apply.  

The repair process is that we will diagnose your unit within one business day of its arrival here.  We will then give you the repair quote, and upon your approval we will then order the parts needed, if any, and then install the parts when they arrive.    Repair time will be 3 to 5 days once the parts are received.

Your customer service contact points here will be Guy or Kay.    Our phone number is 713-467-9390, or toll free 800-428-2532.    Our hours of operation are Monday-Friday 8 am to 5 pm Central Standard Time.

Would you like to see our Service Guarantees?   You will find them at http://www.atiwa.com/the_atiwa_guarantee

Would you like to see some testimonials from other clients like yourself?  You can review them at http://www.atiwa.com/testimonials

(there are still additional ones located on each page of our web site.)

Still trying to decide who to use?   Take a look at the primary reasons why our customers say they choose Atiwa Computing!   You will find the reasons THEY use us, along with 15 specific reasons why you, too, should choose Atiwa, at http://www.atiwa.com/why_use_atiwa_computing

Thank you for contacting us Richard, and we hope we can be of help to you.   Have a great day.

Your Atiwa Computing, Inc. Support Team.

“Your One-Source-Service-Center delivering fast, friendly, reliable technology support you can count on…since 1983!”

*    I.T. Services   *   Repairs   *   Rentals   *   Toners   *  

I don't have any experience with these people. Found them while trying to find a solution to fix my L505D-LS5007. Let me know if anyone has another option or if tis is a good one but a little pricey but cheaper than a new motherboard.  I did get this following  information from another repair facility.  HP, Delland and others have video problems that are caused by the same BGA soldering problems.  I hesitate even buying another laptop until this problem has been universally resolved.

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

I forgot to comment on the real problem that is originally caused by the EPA.  If someone from the EPA didn't expect kids or adults to eat printed circuit boards that had lead solder on it, we probably would'nt be having these problems. The leadless solder is not as strong.  I grew up eating lead paint when I was a kid, cleaning farm equipment with leaded gasoline, several mothfuls of leaded gasoline when siphoning from car to fill the tractor with gas and I am still alive at 65 and have no lead problems except when someone tells me to hurry and get the lead out!

Killtakular

I'm having the same issues with my Satellite L505. First the sound controller failed, now the USB is not working. I'm sure this is not a software issue because this laptop has both Windows 7 and Ubuntu installed. The devices don't work in Ubuntu either. Unfortunatelly, I purchased my laptop on May 2010, therefore it's out of warranty... I have owned several computers in the past, and I never had any components fail like this so soon (with the exception of Hard Drives, and Dell computers). I always had a good concept about Toshiba products, but this incident has totally changed my mind. In fact, I think it is good that this happened, because I was planning to get a Toshiba TV...

Killtakular

I think that the best thing to do is to move on. Apparently Toshiba don't want to acknowledge that there is a known issue with this particular laptop model. I'll just place Toshiba in my Black List right after Dell. Usually people seek me to recommend electronic products so you can be sure that I'll tell them to stay away from Toshiba.

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

Re: no sound / usb on satellite l505d-re-cyclible

Tomorrow is trash day. Do I put my L505d-LS5007 laptop in the blue barrel (recyclible), green barrel trash or send it book rate back to Toshiba and let them throw it away:smileymad: 

Occasional Contributor
shwsrvcs

rcfitch wrote:

Tomorrow is trash day. Do I put my L505d-LS5007 laptop in the blue barrel (recyclible), green barrel trash or send it book rate back to Toshiba and let them throw it away? :smiley: 

It's pretty illegal to throw away just into the bins these days and sending it back to Toshiba does nothing but put them in possession of the item your hard money was blown on. 

I'd do this.  There are electronic recycling people that take your used electronics "For FREE" so you don't have to hassle with it.  Find and befriend a local electronics recycler and strike and agreement with him somehow so that you will be able to acquire a laptop suitable for the ram, hard drive and whatever else you may want to transfer to the slightly used but still working better than the Toshiba laptop. Most of the time it's guys set up so they can separate the stuff into 3 piles.  First pile is stuff they want to keep for themselves, the second pile is stuff they can sell, and the 3rd is the rest of it (which goes to a recycling center).

If you don't have a local electronics recycler, you might look into becoming that person.  It's not hard to do and with the electronics you process, you always have the option to keep items you want, you can part out the other stuff and monetize while also sorting and responsibly putting thru the rest to the local recycling processing center.  There isn't a quota to fill and it's up to you to drum up the business so you can be as big or little as you want.

Just a thought, actually one that I am looking into myself (as in after this note) or you can work that 9 to 5 and p in a cup every 6 months if you have to drive or work heavy machinery for the company, or "buy in" so you can be part of "the team" just to try to get a measly 15% increase on your pay next year to spend on paying down your debt just a little bit more so the bank will increase your limit just a little bit more so you can splurge on the EX instead of the LX when your lease is up cuz buying is dumb especially if you only drive back and forth to the office every day, that's 3 miles total! ha!

Instead

Wake up later, pop a brew while your looking at the new load of used gadgets in your pajamma's and slippers.  It's a good thing you hired that guy to open the shop early for you.  I mean golf just doesn't play itself does it?  (cuz your getting all that TV money now from the TLC network)

:smileytongue:

DG

siberianmist

[ Edited ]

I also had an L505d... Bought it May 27, 2010.  HD was replaced under warranty by Toshiba March of 2011.  Dec of 2011 my computer would freeze at desktop.  Toshiba wouldn't take it back I guess the replacement HD is only good for three months.  Had it worked on by a tech, have Windows Ulimate now and it runs fine, except no USB OR SOUND!!!!

For the time being I'm using my old dell tower and IPAD2 but it would be nice if my laptops usb would atleast work.  Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to get this fixed?