Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

Re: no sound / usb on satellite l505d-gs6000

http://www.la.bbb.org/ContactUs.aspx

Let's start here. I got this from Toshiba's repair site BBB Accredidation Icon!Better Business Bureau

I have a Toshiba L505S-LS5007 Toshiba Satellite Laptop that I have sent to Toshiba for repair 3 times.  Each time the mother board was replaced.  Two of these times were within less than 3 months.  My warranty just ran out so I am now stuck with a bad laptop that no one can fix.  Many others list the same problems as follows on the http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Audio-Sound/no-sound-usb-on-satellite-l505d-gs6000/m-p/256817#M8536

Sound quits

USB quits

Cannot restore to out of box restore method

Now out of warranty!

You can use this form as a guide and put your model number in place of the one above. Let's send as many as possible to see if this will help fix a drastic quality problem with these laptops.  I would gladly accept an HP or Dell replacement if Toshiba won't fess up to the apparent problem and help their once loyal customer base..

Occasional Contributor
shwsrvcs

You can use this form as a guide and put your model number in place of the one above. Let's send as many as possible to see if this will help fix a drastic quality problem with these laptops.  I would gladly accept an HP or Dell replacement if Toshiba won't fess up to the apparent problem and help their once loyal customer base..

I agree, the most logical course is to document as best possible, thru proper channels, the information about your computer and the problem it displays so that, the business may better be informed of it's product deficiency.  I submitted mine to the BBB a while back and although I did not get a repair or replacement or even a discount offer for either, I did get a definte feeling of satisfaction in going thru the process knowing that if enough people would, eventually somebody will take action.  I talked to a Robin from Toshiba and she was great, so if she calls you, she will be helpful and courteous, let her know someone from this thread had already submitted to BBB as well, it may help speed along the process of getting higher ups to see the issue.

DG

Occasional Contributor
jw23

has anyone tried my last suggestion yet?

Occasional Contributor
shwsrvcs

to jw23, I had... but everybody should definetly do so if you haven't already and even if you have, there are so many variables with drivers that may alter the way it interacts with an OS and different hardware that it doesn't hurt to try to uninstall and reinstall after re-downloading.  the gs6000 is an AMD chipset however so the intel link for that wouldn't pertain to those at least.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx

Here is a link to the amd drivers download page for 64bit Win 7 along with tabs for others on that page.  The page says it's last updated a month ago 12-13-2011.  I can't check mine anymore after dismembering it and feeding it's brain to a smaller less developed sibling (cpu to a gateway w340ua) so if it works let me know.. I'll just be over here... standing...    here...         till.....           later.    bye        writeback soon

Occasional Contributor
jw23

lol love the exit!

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

I am a retired electrical engineer and would just like to know what the REAL PROBLEM IS SO I/WE CAN FIX IT! Is it the southbridge 104 chip, it's solder connection to the board?  Being both USB and Sound, this IC is the common source that would cause failure. I am suspecting a bad lot of IC's especially if al these models use the same southbridge.  I also found new drivers for that IC that I may try but I haven't figured out how to reprogram them them yet. Having been in the IC quality control with Texas Instruments, the across the board failures of tis problem does point ot a common IC failure unless the basic motherboard is identical in all models and it is a board failure over time. I bet the southbridge IC but I really just want to get my laptop fixed so it will last for a couple more years of normal life expectancy. Toshiba, fess up and tell us the real problem so we can get on with more important issues!   Our lives! :smileymad:

Gamebox

ISSUE SOLVED!   Not only have had one l505d models that have had this issue but have seen QUITE a few of them.  I am an owner of a ISO certified Electronics repair company based in Dallas and Boston. We do motherboard repairs ( Xbox 360, PS3, laptops, stereos, etc) on the circuit level.  All managers have degrees in electronics and our first L505d model that did this was very puzzling to us. It all appears to be software but it isn't. We are also a Gold Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider so we get tons of software issues. This is a very common on this model series.

For those of you that have read this far you have read that some believe it is the SouthBridge on the board. We fix MANY of these units every month and the SB (SouthBridge) is not communicating properly with some other chips (ANA). There is a design issue with these particular models that the BGA chips (chips that are top mount soldered with many small balls under it.) Simply it gets to hot and the solder gets hard eventually (lead free solder does when it gets to hot )and one day the board warps slightly and it pops off. We see XBOX red rings, PS3 Yellow Lights, HP laptops with no video and all suffer from this same issue. They (save except SONY) have extended the warranty on the units. TOSHIBA, Have we come to the conclusion to extend this warranty on this issue yet? 

ALWAYS try the software fixes that you see here first and then CALL TOSHIBA.  Many symptoms like this can be similar and most of the time it is software related. Just on this particular model it is a hardware issue but CAN BE REPAIRED.  Find a GOOD ISO registered repair company in your area and have them do a REBALL (not relow) on the unit. If anyone has any question you can call the Office at 817 -350-4623 and we will help find you repair place for not charge. Toshiba REALLY does need to extend the warranty on this issue. HP was hit by a HUGE class action suit for a very similar issue with the video chip. I hope that Toshiba steps it up like they have in the past!

isitworthit

If the l505d-gs6000 mb can be repaired by having someone reball it, how much money should I expect to pay? Maybe I should just cut my losses and part the laptop out on ebay. I'm thinking I could get half my money back if I can sell the screen. What about the "oven trick"? Can that work?

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

Check with eBay. New  AMD Southbridge may be available for less than $30. Check the original part number to see if there is a match. You will have to still get someone to remove and install the new device.  Let all of us know  if others has success in getting these motherboards repaired, where and what the cost is.

Occasional Contributor
shwsrvcs

What about the "oven trick"? Can that work? I was gonna try that one out, but I never did before my girlfriend did the "leave set to not sleep and then leave running on the carpeted floor all night with some pillows on top method" which although was a nice effort on her part, ended up with me just moving past the oven and onto the "torch of resuscitation" method which didn't work on the second attempt and then I let it pass. I was gonna part it out too, but ended up using cpu on a little computer side project, and the hard drive for another computer, the ram too... (see below) the mother board will not sell... unless it's fixed I don't think.. or anyone who might buy it would probably ask about the sound, so that left the body, and the monitor, board to power connector wires and the usb wires, the dvd burner, video cable and inverter which I posted 1 time each on ebay but did not find buyers... yet. DG
isitworthit

I've contacted a repair service through ebay and based on my description of the problem, this is the sevice he recommended (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230685317518&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT). I'm willing to take the chance that this guy can fix the problem. I'll give an update after I get my computer back.

Occasional Contributor
jameswake

This makes sense.  I've never had a laptop that ran as hot as this one.   Hopefully, Toshiba will take responsbility for this problem, but I'm not holding my breath.   I did an internet search for Toshiba recalls and, to my surprise, I could find only a single computer recall in the history of the company, and that was for exploding batteries--which Toshiba blamed on Sony.  

Based on my experience with this Toshiba computer, I think it is highly unlikely that the amazing lack of recalls is because Toshiba built nothing but flawless products over the years.   Rather, it appears to me that Toshiba deals with problems by string its customers along during the warranty period and hanging them out to dry once the warranty has expired. 

I think that our only real hope of getting our defective products repaired/replaced by Toshiba is to generate enough negative publicity over this issue, that Toshiba decides that it is in its own best economic interest to fix the problem in order to make it go away.  

I think that we have Toshiba's attention.   In fact, Toshiba appears to be taking a new tactic to censor this forum.  First, it removed posts from the forum that were critical of it.  Now it appears that Toshiba has made the forum harder to find.  I used to reach the forum by running a search of the Toshiba message boards for L505D + USB + sound.   When I ran that search today, to my surprise, no post to this forum came up in the search results.   I tried five or six variations of the search with no luck.  I finally got back into the forum by searching my own old posts.   Random coincidence?   Maybe I'm becoming paranoid, but I think not.

Those of us who are already in the forum should continue to be able to access it in the manner that I described above.  However, people searching for this issue for the first time will likely find nothing.   If Toshiba delinked this forum from the message boards' search function, it would be an effective, but machavellian, way to keep the problem isolated and under control.  Perhaps it is time to create a forum that is not under Toshiba's control.  Anyone have any ideas of where/how to do this. 

giarmyjoe

Turned my computer on this morning and the drivers reinstalled...and I have sound/usb and webcam again...guess it was a software issue and not hardware.  

Toshiba gets a big vote of support from me from now on...

Occasional Contributor
jw23

did you follow anyone's advice or did you just try again?  i'm just curious if any of my suggestions helped.  glad you got it fixed though!

Alex87

This is not a software issue, giarmyjoe. 

My laptop lost its USB, sound, webcam and other functions in mid-December.  I tried everything short of taking my laptop apart to get it working again, but everything failed.  Then, about 3 weeks later, I was trying to bring my computer up from hibernation and it had an error.  The options were to try again or to shutdown and reboot.  Trying again didn't work, so I had to shutdown and reboot.  When everything loaded, I suddenly had USB and sound back, which although I was pleased, made me very suspicious.

This "success" was short-lived, though, because about 10 days later, it reverted back to its crippled state and I've been without USB and sound for a few days now.

I'm at a loss for what to do and I'm pretty positive that if I contact customer support, they'll just tell me that I'll have to send my laptop in, which is something that I simply cannot do as a partially laid off worker. =/

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

I am convinced that the problem as explained earlier is the non lead ball connections on the Southbridge BGA.  I took my laptop apart and I had actually sent this one in 3 times undr warranty.  This last time, the BGA was epoxied to the board as well as being replaced.  Intermittant connection on this BGA is the problem.  I can get a new one from Ebay from China or Taiwan for $10.50.  How to get the old one removed from being epoxied and the new reflowed on the board is where I need help.

giarmyjoe

I turn my computer off every night before bed.  When i started it this morning it took a bit longer than normal to start up...As it was loading up it just started installing the drivers again...Hopefully it doesnt all of a sudden cut out again. If it was a hardware issue how would it come back at all without replacing any of the hardware?  I just had a windows update the other day too...not sure if that was part of it?  My specific model is the 505D-S5985...

Alex87

I turn mine off before bed, also, giarmyjoe.  I hibernate mine.

Please do not be surprised if/when it does suddenly cut out again (hopefully yours doesn't, though).  That's what happened to mine. People are saying that because these laptops run so hot, it's causing problems with the southbridge.  I am so disappointed with Toshiba over all of this.  They know there is a problem, but they're keeping quiet about it, and that is not right!

It's a hardware issue because the type of connection on the southbridge becomes intermittent, meaning sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I have an L505D-GS6000, which is infamous for having this problem and from what I've read here and all over the Internet, the L505 series had trouble with this as a whole (which is probably why they don't make this family of laptops anymore!).

Occasional Contributor
katfishgr

[ Edited ]

Had a customer bring in an L505-GS6000 ... and as you might guess, same problems.

I attempted a reflow of the southbridge, but have not been successfull ... yet. I don't have the equipment necessary to do a full reball.

His complaint was that the machine was locking up on the desktop, and the sound/usb doesn't work. We ended up removing some of the Toshiba installed software. And now have the computer running clean. But still no sound or usb. And I have not attempted to use the card reader or esata ports. I have read in this thread that some have had problems with all four devices. This is most definitely a hardware problem, not software.

So anyway ... add me to the list of other L505's with the sound/usb problem. And this laptop is just out of warranty by a couple months I think. I'll inform the customer, let them contact Toshiba and see if he can get a resolution. If not, his next step will be the BBB, just so there is a record of it. And I encourage you to do the same. If enough people complain, maybe there will be a recall. :-)

Chuck

Occasional Contributor
jw23

we should form a mob and protest toshiba's offices.. where ever they may be. lol