Occasional Contributor
jw23

Re: no sound / usb on satellite l505d-gs6000

Occasional Contributor
jameswake

I tried to load the updated BIOS from the Toshiba link that you posted, but got a message that it was wrong BIOS.  I reviewed in info in the link and saw that it is for the L505 series.  L505D is not among the listed models in the series that uses that BIOS.

Occasional Contributor
jw23

yes i apologize, i was going off the main subject for this thread which is the l505d-gs6000.  I guess i won't post links for bios since we're talking about a variety of models here.  my apologies to anyone who tried my link and was unsuccessful.  click the download tab @ the top of the page and enter your toshiba model # in the filter and hit enter then go to the latest bios update in the list download and install.

Occasional Contributor
jameswake

The problem is the same for all models in the L505D series.   L505 is a comletely different series. Unfortunately, Toshiba does not have a BIOS update for the L505D series listed.

Occasional Contributor
jw23

well here's a direct link for v 1.10 of the 505D series http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/slv6v110.exe

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

Ran the update, installed drivers, restarted, F2, F9 save and exit and started in regular mode. Came up with a screen asking for password for Admin but that account said it was disabled.  Restarted and ran in safe mode with networking and all is well except for sound & usb.  Cannot do a complete restore as it stops after 5 or 6 attempts of configuring system.  Looking at device manager, the sound has an error 10 on it which I believe indiacates a hardware problem.  I am lost from here.

jw23 wrote:

Also once you run the update remember  restart and tap f2 until bios is loaded, and hit f9 to load defaults save andexit and then reboot and load normally.  i noticed someone talking about how their problem began after a win 7 auto update.  i've seen this A LOT with Toshibas, mainly with the ATI graphics drivers update.  The best bet is to turn off automatic updates or at least only have them download them and not install them.  do the custom install and only install the windows updates and not the hardware.  I worked on one PC that had this issue and i had to uninstall the old ATI drivers in safemode and reinstall the drivers from the ATI site.  I'm anxious to see if this works, and if anyone is in the Indiana area and wouldn't mind letting me look @ theirs i'd love to set something up.  alright good luck my friends. 

Occasional Contributor
jameswake

I followed your instructions and was able to update the Bios sucessfully.  Unfortunately, this did not solve the usb and sound problems.  Both still don't work and both are still missing from the list of devices in the device manager.  Thus, the problem is either a hardware problem; or, it is a software problem, Toshiba has not bothered to fix it. 

I find this to be very frustrating.  I have owned many computers over the years, but never one with such intractable problems.  In order to try to simply use this computer, I've wasted hundreds of hours learning more than I ever wanted to about computer repair, and still to no avail.   The very worst has been that I've had to do this all completely on my own.  Toshiba does not appear to support its product at all.   I am really disappointed in Toshiba.

Occasional Contributor
jw23

is anyone willing to do team viewer with me so i can remote in and take a look?  please send me a PM if you're willing!

Occasional Contributor
shwsrvcs

I find this to be very frustrating.  I have owned many computers over the years, but never one with such intractable problems.  In order to try to simply use this computer, I've wasted hundreds of hours learning more than I ever wanted to about computer repair, and still to no avail.   The very worst has been that I've had to do this all completely on my own.  Toshiba does not appear to support its product at all.   I am really disappointed in Toshiba.

Well said, I've spent the last year in a obsessive yet methodical state to try and repair mine since the warantee had lapsed, I'd imaged it would be relatively simple to diagnose and repair, after replacing the hard drive, restoring the OS, testing the origninal hard drive in another computer, all indications were hardware, perhaps a smd fuse on the motherboard, maybe the bios, but nothing changed.  Did I start doubting myself a little? Absolutely.  In my decade of just being Voltron's head as far as technology is concerned for my occupation, I'd chased 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames and no old glitchy computer could stump me.  I'd just replaced my previous laptop with this one because the USB connectors had broken (physically snapped) and passed that one to my at the time new girl after trying to repair those connector (had to work out dormant soldering skill).  As months rolled on, she just thought I was unknowledgable and would suggest things like "have you tried to restart?" or "try safe mode, try unbuntu, just google it, if it's not there then your not typing it in right" I started buying the as is laptops at my goodwill computer store to take em apart, build the up, experiment, whatever I could do to learn more and more... finally after posting on this thread over on page one after a long long time checking back to see if anyone had a solution, I decided to ask for help from the BBB.  After I had contacted the Better Business Buerau, Toshiba contacted me, they were very nice and forthright with me, but that didn't matter as my warrenty was still lapsed and thus they were no help.  But I figured, maybe I could lay the groundwork for others and shed light on the issue to those agencies that may be advocates of our concerns.  Soon thereafter the toshiba started getting hot, I mean really hot - the girl had started using it and didn't give it enough space on the last night I had my poor machine, buried under a pillow and left, the fan kept up as much as it could but some things don't go, like video chips and heat, the screen began to randomly freeze up so I did what any one else would, i went for resolution and tried foolishly to diy a reball which failed miserably.  But all in all, the law of equivilancy left me with the knowledge and a whole bunch of laptop parts, so I am marching on and have started to build up a variety of hybrid laptop-ish forms for unique applications.  I may converge with a profitable market in a niche but I may have never envisioned that if my l505d just kept working, so don't feel too down on yourself, time is never wasted, only spent and with the right perspective, we may find a silver lining in this yet.

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

Typical problem.  Really sounds like a hardware problem. As I stated on an earlier post, I had sent my L505D-LS5007 in three times under warranty and Toshiba replaced the motherboard all three times. THe first lasted 3 months, the second 3 weeks and the third an final 6 months. Probably a board or IC problem. I am starting to believe they get these boards in, they reflow solder them and put them back into the loop whithout really fixing the problem hoping that the warraanty will finally resolve their problem.  Just my opinion but I do have some PC troubleshooting experience. What to do next? New board http://www.motherboardnow.com/Toshiba-Satellite-L505D-LS5007-Motherboard-System-Board-Replacement-4C... $295. Will this actually solve the problem long term? Do these boards have the same inherent problem? I really think it's time to save up for another laptop (Dell, HP etc.) to get out of this loop of fialures of the L505D-***** series.

pmuna

Same problem here with my Satellite L505D-LS5007. Tried all possible options discussed in the forums . Still can't figure out what the problem is.  Obviously Toshiba has just chosen to ignore this issue. 
I spend way too many hours trying ot fix this problem. I have extended warranty available from American Express that I submitted a claim for and even that expired now, as I couldn' explain if it's a hardware or a software problem. I will never ever buy a Toshiba laptop considering Toshiba doesn't provide a solution for this.

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

Any luck with the oven tratment?

Like I have posted 3 times. Toshiba has replaced my motherboard 3 times under warranty.  I am guessing it is possibly the southbridge IC and the solder balls or maybe even a board feed through sonnection problem. Let me know if the reflow works.

lukehutch

Same exact problem on my wife's laptop: no working sound or USB on L505D-GS6000. Like for many other people, the problem started at approximately the same time as a Windows update, though it's a little hard to say if that was the cause (and I'm not sure if it was a service pack or not).

HOWEVER, (at least in our case,) I can tell you that no amount of reinstalling of Windows or getting MS updates or reinstalling drivers will fix the problem, because eventually I gave up on Windows and installed Linux on the laptop, and Linux can't use the sound or USB either.

Typing "lspci" shows everything but USB, including the Azalia audio device that can't find the codec:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS880 Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (int gfx)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)
00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3c)
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller
00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]
02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller (rev 10)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)

SOUND: In Linux I get the following error message in /var/log/messages during boot: "ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_intel.c:2624: no codecs found".  According to this message http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/alsa-sound-pci-hda-hda-intel-c-2624-no-codecs-found-help-20081865... , that means that the BIOS is telling the OS that there is no codec connected to the Intel HDA bus. The bus is probably something like a more modern version of the AC '97 AC-Link bus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC%2797#AC-Link (but maybe it is possible that the codec is actually connected to an internal USB link or something?) Basically the Intel HDA chip *is* working, but that chip can't see the specific codec chip that actually implements the sound generator.

USB: In Linux if I type "lsusb", I get "unable to initialize libusb: -99".  I *think* this just means no USB devices were found (and therefore none could be listed), but I'm not sure, and haven't been able to find useful information about it among many pages of Google results. (The USB drivers are definitely loaded into the kernel at boot-time, but they never emit messages to the logs saying they are initializing any hardware.)

MOTHERBOARD / BIOS BATTERY: I pulled apart the laptop last night and took a look at the motherboard. All on one board, no daughter boards whatsoever, other than the screen lamp driver board. However I noticed the BIOS battery had come away from the motherboard. I think it's supposed to be glued on with conductive glue, and the other contact soldered on the top, but it was just dangling from the top contact. That leads me to wonder if what caused this was not actually the Windows update, but the BIOS backup battery disconnecting, and certain BIOS settings getting lost/reset that were set by the manufacturer but that are NOT available through the standard BIOS menus. I tried resetting the BIOS back to defaults, and it didn't help.

BIOS: It turns out that this laptop has an InsydeH20 BIOS that gives you access to only the most basic of functions -- I guess Toshiba feels a need to protect the consumer against themselves (which sort of mentality drives me nuts). Toshiba has an internal version of the BIOS that they don't release which has advanced menu options that only they can configure. I suspect there are several options in there that let you configure things about ACPI and the USB / sound hardware that may help with this problem. However the only way of getting to these menu options is by having somebody unlock the advanced menus, by hacking the BIOS (which is a black art). At this point, my best hope for fixing this therefore lies in my request to a BIOS mod forum for somebody to unlock the advanced menus in this BIOS: http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Request-Toshiba-Satellite-L505D-menu-unlock-will-donate

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

Good troubleshooting.  Keep all of us posted as a fix here would help a ton of people with broken Toshiba laptops. I will be taking my L505D-LS5007 apart tomorrow to look for that or anything else. No doubt that the communication to the USB and Sound codecs has been broken by software, printed wiring board failure or a common chip failure.

Occasional Contributor
shwsrvcs

HMMMM it's busted!  That is a link to an as is gs6000, for 60 bucks... busted monitor, no hard drive, if anyone wants to get it and swap out their components.. its cheaper than replacing the motherboard alone but there isn't a guarantee that it didn't end up this way because it has our problem right?? lol 

still.. I saw it and thought I'd post it here in case anyone wanted to take the chance at saving some cheddar.

Dg

Zerix

I just wanted the thread to be aware that this problem isn't exclusive to the l505d series. I've spent the better part of the week perusing the net for answers for this issue, and this thread seems to be the most comprehensive. My wifes laptop is an l500d-st55x1, has the same generic high definition audio controller w/ error code 10, and no usb hardware detectable under the device manager. Running win7, tried drivers on toshibas end, main manufacturers end, reinstalled on a clean format from a standard win disc, and used the power on w/0 key to run the out of box recovery to no avail. the recovery hangs at one point, but is fixed when running in safe mode to disable some toshiba startup items. This looks as good as it is going to get until/if the issue becomes officially recognized on toshibas end and a recall issued. 

The customer service reps in my experience were unproductive, and argued when I asked for a supervisor. I'm still waiting on the call back from the supervisor...... I noted others saying BBB was unproductive, and that may be so, but I think we should all be somewhat obligated to at least forward the issue onward. They may recall if enough complaints are issued down formal channels. It is a shame a company once known for laptop reliability is turning a blind eye here. On a side note I find it amusing comments were seen by a moderator and removed, but no moderator has made their presence known to help solve the issue >_>. 

lesm

Don't expect a call back from a supervisor.  I never received the call that I was promised. 

The only thing that ended in a call was a comment posted to Toshiba's facebook wall, but that person claimed they could do nothing to help because I was now 6 months past my warranty.

Zerix

Same boat warranty ended may 2011. Way to make a laptop last less than 2yrs Toshiba!

Occasional Contributor
jw23

[ Edited ]

alright here's another last ditch effort.  go here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3#...   download either the 32 or 64 bit version depending on your laptop.  if you have an hdmi port, install the hdmi driver from the same page.  there are 6 servers per download so pick the one closest to you.   after you've done that.  go here: http://www.zdnetasia.com/downloads/realtek-high-definition-audio-codec-windows-vista-windows-7-32-bi... for 32bit or here: http://www.zdnetasia.com/downloads/realtek-high-definition-audio-codec-windows-vista-windows-7-64-bi... for 64 bit.  please let me know if you have any type of success!  thank you!

Here's one more thing you can try as a last ditch... i think the majority of these laptops are intel based.  if that's the case please go here http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx  and use the update utility to make sure you have the latest and greatest drivers for the chipset.  You can also google your chipset and add the word drivers afterwards, and that should take you to a page with the correct download.  update your drivers and then get back with me and let me know what results if any.  thanks again

Joel

Occasional Contributor
rcfitch

I am filing with the BBB against Toshuba.  Let's start there and see what happens. We have nothing to lose.