tlpjr1972

Re: no sound / usb on satellite l505d-gs6000

I have lost the sound and usb function on a l505d-ls5002. My daughter was playing an online game and the sound started to buzz really loud. Shut down the computer and restarted to find that I had lost sound, usb, and card reader... Before this I would lose the wired mouse every once in a while. I repair desktops and laptop on the side. Im a programmer and have found that this is not a software issue it is in fact a hardware issue. Seems as if there are many models that are effected by this. Sounds like we may all have to suggest a recall on products that have lost usb, sound, and card reader. Ive owned my laptop for 16 months and now it is out of warranty. To repair the laptop the motherboard will need to be replaced. With that said I plan on trying some out of the ordinary fixes such as the oven trick. Normal the oven trick only fixes issue where the graphics card has broke  connection from the MOBO. I figure its worth a try cause it is a big paper weight at the moment... Will update in the next few weeks what I have found... @ JW23 I live in N.W. Indiana let me know if you live near by and maybe together we can come up with a solution...

warrensys

Same problem on satellite l505d-ls5002. It's time for Toshiba to own this defect & offer free repairs to those affected by it!...

JennAtFFP

Add mine to the list.

The only way I can get the computer to fully boot is through safe mode but there's still a problem with the USB ports, audio and web cam. I actually took my laptop apart to see if there was a crack in the motherboard or other chip (I didn't know if the kids had done something to it when I wasn't looking) but everything was fine. While I was in there, I used compressed air to clean everything and check all the connections. Nothing seems amiss with the hardware so I have no idea how to fix this.

I've done a factory reboot. I've updated drivers. I've tried every trick I can find on the internet with ZERO success. I actually went out and bought a new Dell PC since I work online. I even bought a new hard drive thinking the drive had crashed. That wasn't the problem either.

I was hoping to get the laptop fixed so I could go back to my mobile work routine but the only help the Toshiba tech could offer over the phone was to send it to their service station and they'd look at it then tell me how much it would cost to fix it.

UGGG, I would LOVE for someone to post a resolution so I know what to do. I'm pretty tech savvy so If the motherboard needs to be replaced, then I have no problem figuring out how to do that myself but I don't want to spend more money on another part for it NOT to be the problem. kwim?

BTW-my laptop is an L505D-LS5006 so it looks like it's affecting the entire L505 line of laptops.

kwillia18

I'm experiencing the same problems! I have a L505D-GS6000 Toshiba Laptop and out of nowhere my sound stopped working properly while I was trying to play some songs on Rhapsody. I started to hear a buzzing sound from the laptop then the programs started to freeze up and so I quickly restarted the computer. After the reboot, the welcome screen showed up and then my desktop, but in mere seconds the entire screen froze and I couldn't do anything except force a shut down. This happens EVERY time I start up my computer. I can access the programs and everything else while i'm in safe mode, but the sound icon has a red X on it and states "The Audio Service is not running." I've tried everything I know to fix the sound issue in hopes that this will also fix my freezing problem. It seems like A LOT of people are having similar issues with the same L505 Model so it seems a bit odd. 

Does ANYONE know where to go from here?? 

Peter

Before I start asking any questions, I want to state that I understand many times people are frustrated by answering questions that they believe are irrelevant. However, it's important for me to gather as much information about an issue as I can if I'm to understand it.

tlpjr1972warrensys,

Satellite L505D-LS5002

What have you done so far to test this issue? Are you still able to use Windows? If not, does it work in Safe Mode?

Have you tried System Restore (the Windows utility - not a full system recovery).

Try using System Restore to restore a previous restore point from before this became an issue.

System Restore - Windows 7

Try updating the sound drivers.

Realtek Audio Driver for Windows 7 (32/64)(v6.0.1.5904; 09-04-2009; 69.55M)

Try the Web Camera Application and drivers.

Toshiba Web Camera Application for Windows XP/7 (32/64)(v1.1.1.6; 11-03-2009; 28.78M)

Try downloading the latest Toshiba Service Station and installing any new updates.

Toshiba Service Station(v2.2.9; 06-14-2011; 12.79M)

Have you tried doing a full system recovery?

JennAtFFP,

Satellite L505D-LS5006

When you say that you did a factory reboot, do you mean a full system recovery as explained on page 62 of your user's guide? If so, was the problem apparently immediately, or did USB, the audio, or camera work for a short time?

If that was not what you meant by "factory reboot," please try (if you haven't) the steps outlined above. The links should work for your model as well.

Are you able to boot into Windows? If not, does Safe Mode work?

kwillia18,

Satellite L505D-GS6000

Please try going through the steps I mentioned in the first part of this post. Those links should work for your model.

System Recovery

If the steps outlined didn't help at all, a system recovery can be very helpful. Recovering your laptop to its original, out-of-the-box state is a great way to eliminate software as a possible cause of the problem. It will not neccessarily solve the problem, but it will prove that software is not an issue, allowing us to move forward. Note that doing a system recovery will return the laptop to its default conditions, completely wiping your data. Information on how to perform a system recovery can be found on page 62 of the user's guide.

Any other information that any of you have could be very useful.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
Inconnu

Hi Peter,

I haven't posted to this thread yet, but I've been following it for a little while, hoping that someone would come up with a solution to this problem. So far, no solutions, and no solutions anywhere else on the web that I can find.

Like everyone else on this thread, I have an L505 model and I'm having the same problems as everyone else. I have a Satellite L505D-LS5007. At the time of the problem starting, I was messing around with a handful of Toshiba driver updates (to fix an unrelated issue that is now resolved), and everything was working just fine. Apparently I must have messed with something that I shouldn't have, because upon restart, the USB ports, sound, and card reader no longer work. My model doesn't come with a webcam, so I can't tell you if that would be functioning or not. The CD-DVD drive works just fine, as well as the built-in keyboard and touchpad. The operating system (Win7 Home Premium) works just fine, except the sound icon in the notification area has a red x and states that "no audio output device is installed". In addition, the High Definition Audio Device under System Devices in the Device Manager has the yellow exclamation icon, and states that the device can't be started. Windows 7 cannot resolve the issue on its own (through the automated troubleshooter).

So far, I've attempted the following:

-uninstall the appropriate drivers and reinstall them.

-uninstall the appropriate drivers and reinstall new drivers from Toshiba's driver resources.

-uninstall the appropriate drivers and reinstall new drivers from other sources.

-attempted to see if Safe Mode yielded any different results. It didn't.

-installed and used Toshiba Service Station. It states that all drivers are updated and just fine.

I can't do the following:

-I have system restore turned off so I don't have previous restore points available.

-I can't do a repair install of Windows at the moment because I don't have my Windows disc where I am at the moment. I will have it next week, but I hope to have the problem resolved by then anyways.

I don't think it's related to the Windows OS anyways. While booting, no USB peripherals respond in the BIOS. (Yes, Legacy USB Support is turned on in the BIOS settings.) In addition to this, to test my theory, I used a second partition on my hard drive to quickly install Linux Mint, which exhibited the same issues as Windows (no sound, no USB). Therefore, I believe the issue has little to do with the Operating System.

To follow this line of thought, I thought it best to attempt to flash the BIOS, but the BIOS update from the Toshiba drivers page stated that I have the same BIOS version as the update, so it won't install, and I'm trying to avoid cracking open the case and looking at the serial number on the motherboard to look up the BIOS files on the manufacturer's website.

If I left out any information that you think might be helpful for you to know, I will do my best to answer. I will also try to check this forum frequently for any input or ideas that anyone may have.

Thank you in advance.

-Inconnu

Peter

Inconnu,

I really appreciate all the detailed information! I suppose you could try turning Legacy USB Support off. You could also try preparing a bootable USB drive to see if you can boot from it. The only other thing, besides that, would be to try a full system recovery, although if you can't boot from USB, I'd say it's a hardware fault based on that.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
Inconnu

Legacy USB Support on/off didn't change the problem regardless of its setting. I have a bootable USB drive that I use for various utilities, and it isn't able to boot to it. It doesn't register that there's a bootable USB attached to it at all.

Normally at this point I would think that it's a hardware issue as well, but it seems like awfully random timing for it to just decide to break. I know hardware can die randomly like this, but normally the signs of a hardware failure are more obvious, so this quiet, spontaneous failure will be a first for me.

and what piece of hardware, exactly, is responsible for both the sound, USB, and card reader, and when it fails, only stops the functionality of those few things, but leaves everything else running perfectly? It seems awfully strange. I guess that would indicate some part on the motherboard, right? I don't look forward to replacing that...

Also, it seems like it should be concerning that this issue is exclusive to Satellite L505 models. If this ends up being a hardware problem, I would think that the trend indicates that this isn't just a random hardware failure, but a line of unreliable/faulty hardware used in these machines. I've seen forums dotted across the web related to this problem, and it always has to do with this family of laptops. Usually when I see a hardware failure, its sometimes more prominent in one family or model, but it always crops up in other laptops from other companies as well. The exclusivity of this problem concerns me.

Occasional Contributor
shwsrvcs

Re: no sound / USB on satellite l505d-gs6000

That was a great addition to the thread Inconnu.

I have been investigating this is best I could during this past year, hoping for the "solution" and the only avenue left for me is to replace the motherboard, which costs just about as much as the cost of a comparable brand new laptop today.

BUT I think I may have a real valid solution for this issue....

When I say the sound and USB are out, it's only because they are the most prominent features, the webcam, the card reader and the e-sata-combo connector also failed at the same time.  I did attempt various obtuse strategies such as:

I did swap the hard drive to another machine - the sound and USB worked fine with that machine and the l505d drive.

I swapped another fully functional machine's hard drive into the l505d - the sound and the USB would not appear but they would re-appear when the drive was put back into the other fully functional machine.

I've been looking for a solution for so long that there is a photo of me in the Google image search results for the search phrase

l505d-gs6000 schematic

I didn't really think that could be correct and I was seeing my face right there until I had a friend search that from his computer that I have never even used and he too was greeted by a pic of me right there on Google the image pages

https://www.google.com/search?q=l505d-gs6000&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:smileysurprised:fficial&client=firebox-a&...

So I've really been into going over those as is evident by a picture of me becoming synonomus with them so you can trust me when I tell you that In looking over the schematics for the motheboard circuitry, all the effected items all have the commonality of being controlled by the southbridge on the board.

The Solution... I think

I kept seeing these videos on Youtube of this thing people were doing to fix video chips on motherboards, depending on the technique it would look like some sort of black magic or another ritualistic seance.  but what re-balling all comes down to is getting the solder points that connect a chip to the motherboard but may have lost connection to the point of liquidity and then to harden again and if done correctly this will result in the broken connections being repaired and we all go home happy with a smile. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southbridge_(computing)

It would appear that the southbridge may suffer from broken connections to the motherboard and needs to be repaired.  I've been working my way up to attempting this by repairng other items to learn the skills I need.  I've gone up thru lcd monitors, LCD TV's, 6 other laptops.. a acer 5532, toshiba's a205 and a105, Gateway's t 1625 and nx570x, and 1 GQ.. something or another... all bought for about $180 total to try and build up the confidence to try and reball this l505d myself.  I have been holding off, hoping for something else to come up but nothing has and this is the only logically sounding avenue left.  I don't have a warrenty to void, I have 3 replacements' that are compareable with the l505d.  I may try to do it this weekend... If I don't chicken out and it works... I'll be sure to post it here.

Occasional Contributor
Inconnu

I'm glad to see that there's at least one person out there still working on this problem. Currently, I don't have the proper supplies or time available to crack open the case to do further tests, but it sounds like you performed all of the tests that I would have done, and with less-than-desireable results. Looking at the freqency of this issue, I have no doubt that performing the same tests on my laptop would yeild the same results.

Like you, replacing the entire motherboard is an option that I would prefer not to pursue. I'm glad to hear that you think you've narrowed down the problem. Someone on this thread by the name of benvanderjagt briefly mentioned the proplem possibly being related to a failure of the southbridge chip, but he clearly wasn't too convinced because there wasn't enough information to go by at the time.

If you do finally attempt the inevitable this weekend, I would be very interested in knowing your results. Detailed soldering work isn't something I'm good at, but I think I may know a person who can do it. So, if the southbridge chip ends up being the problem for you, I'll probably try your solution myself with greater confidence that it'll work. If you don't end up attempting it this weekend, I'll continue to avoid the southbridge repair and will continue to try other avenues to resolve this issue (probably will all end in vain). Probably by Thanksgiving I'll either end up soldering it or purchasing a new motherboard.

agidado

Yes, this is outrageous from toshiba, this problem is pandemic and eevryone is 

trying. Just to update folks on what I have tried.

I have swaped hard drives,

I have installed Ubuntu Linux,

I did all that driver, restore, clean install etc.

All to no avail.

I have come to the conclusion that it is Hardware.

I am waiting for you to check the southbridge and 

tell us about it.

Thanks

shwsrvcs wrote:

That was a great addition to the thread Inconnu.

I have been investigating this is best I could during this past year, hoping for the "solution" and the only avenue left for me is to replace the motherboard, which costs just about as much as the cost of a comparable brand new laptop today.

BUT I think I may have a real valid solution for this issue....

When I say the sound and USB are out, it's only because they are the most prominent features, the webcam, the card reader and the e-sata-combo connector also failed at the same time.  I did attempt various obtuse strategies such as:

I did swap the hard drive to another machine - the sound and USB worked fine with that machine and the l505d drive.

I swapped another fully functional machine's hard drive into the l505d - the sound and the USB would not appear but they would re-appear when the drive was put back into the other fully functional machine.

I've been looking for a solution for so long that there is a photo of me in the Google image search results for the search phrase

l505d-gs6000 schematic

I didn't really think that could be correct and I was seeing my face right there until I had a friend search that from his computer that I have never even used and he too was greeted by a pic of me right there on Google the image pages

https://www.google.com/search?q=l505d-gs6000&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:smileysurprised:fficial&client=firebox-a&...

So I've really been into going over those as is evident by a picture of me becoming synonomus with them so you can trust me when I tell you that In looking over the schematics for the motheboard circuitry, all the effected items all have the commonality of being controlled by the southbridge on the board.

The Solution... I think

I kept seeing these videos on Youtube of this thing people were doing to fix video chips on motherboards, depending on the technique it would look like some sort of black magic or another ritualistic seance.  but what re-balling all comes down to is getting the solder points that connect a chip to the motherboard but may have lost connection to the point of liquidity and then to harden again and if done correctly this will result in the broken connections being repaired and we all go home happy with a smile. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southbridge_(computing)

It would appear that the southbridge may suffer from broken connections to the motherboard and needs to be repaired.  I've been working my way up to attempting this by repairng other items to learn the skills I need.  I've gone up thru lcd monitors, LCD TV's, 6 other laptops.. a acer 5532, toshiba's a205 and a105, Gateway's t 1625 and nx570x, and 1 GQ.. something or another... all bought for about $180 total to try and build up the confidence to try and reball this l505d myself.  I have been holding off, hoping for something else to come up but nothing has and this is the only logically sounding avenue left.  I don't have a warrenty to void, I have 3 replacements' that are compareable with the l505d.  I may try to do it this weekend... If I don't chicken out and it works... I'll be sure to post it here.

Hmmm, Toshiba

Peter

agidado,

Have you tried doing a full system recovery using recovery media (wiping your data and returning to factory default conditions)? If you have not, doing so will eliminate software as a cause. If you have, then it's time to call support.

- Peter
agidado

I said, I have done factory reset and beyond that 

by using a new hard drive and manually installing windows  7 but nothing.

I thought it was some issue with toshiba hardware

and windows 7 so I went ahead and tried 

Ubuntu Linux which in my experience has never 

failed on any hardware.

The Ubuntu installed perfectly but No Sound, USB 

or Webcam.

It has to be hardware.

Ahmed

jayyork7

[ Edited ]

I've been following this thread because I was hoping to get enough information together to fix a laptop for some friends that have been having this same issue. I just got a call from them today though stating that Toshiba was going to go ahead and fix their laptop for them.

I'm not sure what finally swayed Toshiba, but they did send in a letter that you can read at http://simplethoughts-complexmind.blogspot.com/2011/11/dear-toshiba-letter-from-frustrated.html. The letter may have had something to do with it.

Peter

agidado,

Sorry, but I still don't see where in this thread that you said you had done a factory reset. When you did a "factory reset and beyond that by... manually installing windows 7," it's not a factory reset if you manually installed Windows 7. Have you done a factory recovery using Toshiba recovery media? If the problem persists after doing, then yes, it's most likely hardware. If that's the case, call support.

- Peter
anonimo

I think toshiba send us a bad update or they do something to our laptops a lot people have the seem problem without a solution is weird, we knows this economy is bad.may they try to make some money that way, but for sure I never buy one more laptop  toshiba, I have the seem problem usb,audio,cam :manmad:

Occasional Contributor
Inconnu

Anybody have any updates on this issue? I doubt that calling toshiba support will resolve this problem for me, since my warranty for this machine has expired.

On a related note, I know that Toshiba is considered one of the most reliable laptop brands out there, but issues like this will certainly keep their reliability rating lower down than it could be. I know that all laptops have issues eventually, but widespread issues like this one can certainly be avoided or at least minimized. If an unseen issue like this one does crop up, than a company can do its best to help people resolve the issue (I doubt a factory reset is going to work for this problem, so please stop suggesting it. Doing a factory reset MIGHT fix the problem for one person, if their issue isn't the same issue as everyone else here, but if it doesn't fix the problem, which it probably won't, it will be just a huge waste of time.) or offer to step in and fix the problem for customers. I know that when warranties are void, there is no legal reason to offer such solutions and support to customers, since it will be time and money lost for the company to do so, but it is the providing of such above-and-beyond assistance to the individual customers that will spread a positive message, and keep many customers coming back (and attract new ones). I, personally, love Toshiba machines because of their reliability, but once that reliability is gone, I question whether I will continue to buy machines from them. I am a computer technician, and when customers need a new machine, I recommend to many customers what machines to buy based on my preferences. If I decide to leave Toshiba behind, many more will follow suit based upon my recommendations. Of course, it may not be much in relation to the millions of Toshiba customers, but it is what it is.

I'm not trying to be rude or a jerk, I'm simply trying to give my humble advice to a company that I respect greatly.

jayyork7

Inconnu,

Please read the following post I made last week:

I've been following this thread because I was hoping to get enough information together to fix a laptop for some friends that have been having this same issue. I just got a call from them today though stating that Toshiba was going to go ahead and fix their laptop for them.

I'm not sure what finally swayed Toshiba, but they did send in a letter that you can read at http://simplethoughts-complexmind.blogspot.com/2011/11/dear-toshiba-letter-from-frustrated.html. The letter may have had something to do with it.

You can read an update on their situation by browsing to http://simplethoughts-complexmind.blogspot.com/2011/11/dear-toshiba-part-2.html. Their laptop has also been out of warranty for quite some time, but in the end they were able to get Toshiba to repair their laptop for free.

I probably won't be coming back on this thread to post again. I just wanted to give an update on my friends' laptop repair status. Good luck to you all!

Occasional Contributor
Inconnu

I suppose since you just stated that you won't be coming back to these forums, you'll never get this message, but I'm glad to hear that your friend got their laptop fixed. I was curious as to if that letter they sent was via physical mail, or though email. I could never find an email address for Toshiba support, so I assume it was though physical mail. Unfortunately, snail mail takes quite a while, and if my request gets rejected (which is certainly possible) it would be a massive waste of time, and this laptop, even with its issues, is necessary for my day-to-day work. I could easily repair it myself if I had a spare L505D motherboard around here, but I don't, and I doubt Toshiba would send the parts to me, since its policy for me to send it to them.

I just wish they did a recall of this product once this issue broke out, or at least publicly acknowledged it in some form and offered to fix it for people who have issues... I shouldn't have to go out and buy a busted L505D so I can salvage the motherboard for my laptop, but it looks like that's what I'll have to do... I don't think I'll be looking at Toshiba in the future for any of their products.

robbybaby

I also have the L505D GS 6000 and am struggling with no sound, no USB and no web camera.  A system restore using Toshiba's Recovery Media (ordered from Toshiba) was performed with no results.  I have searched the internet in vain seeking an answer and believe me I have tried them all.  I wanted to mention a fix to the lock-up problem when Windows is loading.  Go to htp://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 and perform an XP Clean Boot procedure.  I know, I know you are using Windows 7 but this "Old School" fix  works equally well with W7.  I now run my Toshiba in the Clean Boot mode without any issues.  Norton was the culprit by the way.

OK, back to the original issue of no sound, no USB and no web camera.  If I find something that works it will be posted here.  Please, if anyone finds an answer post it.  Thanks.