Regular Contributor
ruffian

U305 - No Audio Output Device Installed / Can't install from disk

Hello,

I have a Satellite U305 and have experienced frequent audio problems, mostly with the error message "No Audio Output Device Installed." Sometimes I could get it working by restarting or powering down/up. Other times I would need to reinstall the Realtek driver from the recovery disk. About 6 weeks ago, I did a complete system recovery to the out-of-the-box state. Other than one time that required a restart to resolve, I have not had this audio error message since.

Today when I powered up, the "X" over the audio icon appeared again and the "No Audio Output Device Installed" message returned. I have restarted, shut down and attempted to reinstall the driver from the disk about 20 times already with no success. When I use the disk, everything seems to be proceeding normally and the computer restarts when the installation is complete. However, the problem is stil there when the computer comes back on.

Any suggestions to fix the probelm would be greatly appreciated.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: U305 - No Audio Output Device Installed / Can't install from disk

There are about 18 different Satellite U305 USA models alone. Please post your full model name/number like Satellite U305-S5117, and your model's part number like PSU34U-00J005. Look on the Toshiba label on the bottom of your computer. Also, we need to know what  OS Version you are currently running like Vista 32bit.

Toshiba laptops are very finicky about only using Toshiba supplied hardware drivers to work properly. That's why I recommend disabling automatic Windows Updates. 

After initially running the Toshiba Recovery disk, when Windows is being set up, at some point it will ask 'Do you want to allow automatic Windows Updates?' Answer 'No, I will decide later'. After Windows is fully setup, click 'Start - All Programs - Windows Update', on the menu at left click on 'Change settings', under 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu at right and choose 'Never check for updates (not recommended)', and click OK. Then only manually check for Windows Updates, check all available updates carefully, and never allow Windows Update to change any of your hardware drivers. But, you should regularly check for updates.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

Hi, my model number is U305-S5077. The part number looks like PSU34U-DDL003. That "DD" after the dash could be 00 - so hard to read that I'm not sure. The OS is Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

I'm really hoping to be able to fix this without going through the recovery disk process again, as it was terribly time-consuming to get my laptop back to near-normal. I'd sure appreciate your help.

Super Advisor
miker643

Satellite U305-S5077, PSU34U-00L003, Downloads..

If you haven't already started the recovery process again, try this. First, disable automatic Windows Updates, as I described before.

Second, download this file to its own seperate folder, do NOT double click on it. Use Jzip, or some other freeware zip program to extract the files into the folder you downloaded the file into. Check to make sure everything extracted OK, the extraction may have created a sub-folder where the files will be located.

Realtek Audio Driver for Windows Vista

Next, click on 'Start', type in   device   and click on 'Device Manager', if you see it click on the arrow beside 'Sound, video and game controllers', right click on the Realtek audio/sound device if you see it, left click on 'Uninstall', put the check mark on 'Delete the driver software for this device', and click 'OK'.

OR, If you do not see 'Sound, video and game controllers' and/or the Realtek audio device, follow the instructions in Method 1 of this article to delete the drivers for non-present devices.

How to Remove Old Device Drivers from Vista & Windows 7

After uninstalling the old sound drivers by either method above, then shut down your system. Now, let's just try a basic system reset and see if this helps bring the sound card back.  Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, at the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, then try to boot into Windows again.

If your system discovers the sound card on start up and does not find the drivers, say you have a disk, and point the driver installation to the folder you extracted the drivers into before.

Please let us know what happens.  Good luck.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

I think I followed all of the instructions correctly, but the problem isn't resolved. I went through all of steps, but when I finally did the final start up, there was no acknowledgement of the sound card. The computer started the same way it has and the "X" still appears over the audio icon. When I click on the Sound icon in the control panel, it sounds no device installed. When I go to the show hidden devices under view in the device manager, there are two Realtek High Definition Audio devices showing. When I click on properties on those, the general tab has a message that the hardware device is not connected to the compouter (code 45). That is as far as I have gone. Thanks for whatever other suggestions you can offer.

Super Advisor
miker643

Click on 'Start', type in   device   and click on 'Device Manager', click on on the 'View' menu at top, make sure the check mark is on 'Show hidden devices', click on the arrow beside 'Sound, video and game controllers', right click on each of the Realtek audio/sound devices, left click on 'Uninstall', put the check mark on 'Delete the driver software for this device', and click 'OK'. Repeat this process if 'Other devices' appear as a category in Device Manger, for any 'Audio/Sound' devices that appear there.

Now, this time on the menu at top of Device Manager click on 'Action', click 'Scan for hardware changes', if it finds the sound card this time, point it to folder where you extracted the Realtek drivers.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

No luck with that. I went through all the steps and did the scan for hardware changes, but that just ran quickly and closed without finding anything. Next?

Super Advisor
miker643

If you are sure you have deleted all the old audio/sound drivers, you could try the system reset thing once more.  If your system does not discover the sound card on boot up then, you only have one more option.

The last thing you can try is a Toshiba Recovery, this returns your unit to its factory default out-of-the-box state. This is considered the gold standard test on whether you have an actual hardware failure/problem, or just a software/update/driver problem. If the above does not work, and you have the Toshiba Recovery disk(s) your system came with you can try this.

If you do not have the disks, you can still order them.

Ordering Recovery Media

Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

Unless there is somewhere else to look for drivers besides under the device manager, all are gone. There is nothing appearing under "Sound..." etc. when I do the "view hidden...." process now. I'll try the boot up again and hope for the best. The last time I did that complete recovery, it took the better part of several days to get my laptop back to semi-normal. What is so strange this time is that the disk hasn't worked at all reinstall the driver. That always worked in the past, even if the problems eventually returned. The audio was working fine when I shut the laptop down, then gone when I powered it up the next morning without ever moving the machine an inch. 

Regular Contributor
ruffian

I had uninstalled everything found under the Sound, video and game controllers icon in the Device Manager but when I went to go through the reset this morning, I found that two were still there: Microsoft Kernel DRM Audio Descrambler and Mircrosoft Streaming Quality Manager Proxy. I had previously uninstalled those and tried to do so several more times this morning. They appear to uninstall but when I restart the computer, they are still there. Should I go ahead with the attempt to reset or is there some other way to get rid of these first?

Super Advisor
miker643

Right click on both those devices, and click on disable. Then try the system reset again.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

There is no disable option when I right click. There is uninstall, which I have tried a number of times now. Any other way to find disable?

Super Advisor
miker643

After you click on 'Uninstall', are you putting the check mark on 'Delete the driver software for this device', before you click 'OK'?

If you have already done this with no success, right click on the devices, left click on 'Properties', left click on the 'Driver' tab at top, do you have and can you click on the 'Disable button there? If yes, then do so and click 'OK'

If this will not work either, just shut down and do the System Reset thing once more.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

The first time I tried the uninstall function, I was prompted with the box to check. On subsequent tries, that disappeared.

On the Properties/Driver tab, the disabled button is there but disabled itself so I cannot do that.

Should I just try the reset now or do some sort of system restore and go back to where I can maybe get the box to check?

Super Advisor
miker643

After you click on 'Uninstall', are you putting the check mark on 'Delete the driver software for this device', before you click 'OK'?

If you have already done this with no success, right click on the devices, left click on 'Properties', left click on the 'Driver' tab at top, do you have and can you click on the 'Disable button there? If yes, then do so and click 'OK'

If this will not work either, just shut down and do the System Reset thing once more.

If the audio device is not discovered after the reset, try this Microsoft Fix-It

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

The first time I tried the uninstall, I was able to check that "delete driver" box. However, that was not an option on subsequent attempts.

Right now, the "disable" button cannot be clicked on the properties tab. Should I proceed with the reset or try something else first?

Super Advisor
miker643

Yes, do a system reset now and see if this helps bring the sound card back.  Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, at the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, then try to boot into Windows again.

If the audio device is not discovered after the reset, try this Microsoft Fix-It

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

I tried the reset and that didn't work. Then I ran the Fix-It twice and both times got this report at the end:

Hardware changes might not have been detected.                  Detected

Scanned for recent hardware changes.                                   Succeeded

So still no audio.

Super Advisor
miker643

.....About 6 weeks ago, I did a complete system recovery to the out-of-the-box state. Other than one time that required a restart to resolve, I have not had this audio error message since....

At this point I can only advise you to do the complete Toshiba Recovery to the factory default out-of-the-box state once more. This is considered the gold standard test on whether you have a hardware failure/problem or a software/update/driver problem.

Toshiba laptops are very finicky about only using Toshiba supplied hardware drivers to work properly. That's why I recommend disabling automatic Windows Updates.

After initially running the Toshiba Recovery disk, when Windows is being set up, at some point it will ask 'Do you want to allow automatic Windows Updates?' Answer 'No, I will decide later'. After Windows is fully setup, click 'Start - All Programs - Windows Update', on the menu at left click on 'Change settings', under 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu at right and choose 'Never check for updates (not recommended)', and click OK.

Then BEFORE installing any updates or software, make sure to thoroughly test your sound card. If the sound card appears to be working properly after this opertation then there is likely nothing wrong with your sound card.

Then, only manually check for Windows Updates, check all available updates carefully, and never allow Windows Update to change any of your hardware drivers. But, you should still regularly check for updates. A careful step by step installation of updates and software, carefully checking the sound after each one, may show what is causing this problem.

Good luck.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

Okay, thanks. I imagine there will be hundreds of updates since this laptop is a few years old.