Slashaar

Toshiba Satellite L505-S5990 Windows 7: No sound after starting and ever since.

Hi, just yesterday my sound was working fine. After shutting down the laptop, leaving the house and returning, I booted up and the sound no longer worked. All drivers are up to date, Toshiba Service station says no new updates also. I've tried many fixes, to no avail. Tried disabling and re-enabling both the speakers themselves and the drivers. When playing music, I click the speaker in the tray to show volume and it shows the green "levels" going up as though it is recognizing the sounds.

I have plugged in headphones and sound works fine.

I have taken utmost care of this laptop, no drops, kept clean, never overheated or overused.

I will not reformat, I have too many programs and files that I cannot replace.

I do not want to send it in for repairs, because I need it for school.

Specifications:

Model: Toshiba Sattelite L505-S5990

Audio Driver: Realtek High Definition Audio

Driver Version: 6.0.1.5904

Toshiba's Diagnostic tool failed wave sound.

Device manager says everythings working fine.

Slashaar

Re: Toshiba Satellite L505-S5990 Windows 7: No sound after starting and ever since.

Oh, and the HD Audio Manager knows there's no headphones in at the time of attempting speaker output.

Occasional Contributor
SPerkins

Re: Toshiba Satellite L505-S5990 Windows 7: No sound after starting and ever since.

There are so many threads about this issue with the L505D series, you couldn't imagine. I've had the same problem starting in August 2011, two months out of warranty.  I stumbled on something this week that fixed it.  I powered up with the power supply, then unplugged the power supply and shut down while it still had a charge. I powered it back up later without the power supply, and low-and-behold, my audio device is recognized and my USB ports are working.  I then plugged in the power supply, and so far two days later, its still working.  If it stops again, I'll do my little trick again.  Try it ... can't hurt.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Satellite L505-S5990 Specifications

Satellite L505-S5990 Downloads

You could try a proper system reset and see if this helps bring your built-in speakers back.  Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, when you see the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, boot into Windows, and test your built-in speakers again.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

chrstyb72

Mike- I am having same issue as O.P., if I do the reset you suggest, will I lose any files/pictures?
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

You will not lose anything.  A System Reset just sets System Parameters to factory defaults and touches no personal files.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
chrstyb72

appreciate the response- thanks!

adpro

Thanks for the advice - problem sorted. Week old Satellite bought in a panic after a Dell laptop blew up. Very impressed with machine till out the blue sound also stopped working. Your plan has it sorted again and just wanted to say thanks.

stinger62

Thanks for the tip! I actually just unplugged the power cord and the audio started working without a system reboot.. odd but it worked..

Patrickonl

Good news, I discovered a solution that worked for me after a couple of years of looking for solutions.  I hope it works for all the long-suffering Toshiba laptop users who have experienced this sound problem through one or more Toshiba Laptops.  I happened upon the solution by chance.  Although my sound wasn't working, I wanted to download some music for the holidays and put it on a CD, to listen to in my car.  I went to the Apple website (Apple.com) to download the iTunes software.  I downloaded the software and proceeded to install it.  During the installation process, the iTunes software asked if I wanted the iTunes software to be the default program to play all audio files.  I clicked the "yes" box and selected iTunes to be the default program to play all audio files (thinking that my current system software delivered no sound at all, so why not?).  The software finished installing and I re-booted the system.  From that moment forward my sound has functioned perfectly with no more problems or interruptions.  Hope this works for you!

Patrickonl

Good news, I discovered a solution that worked for me after a couple of years of looking for solutions.  I hope it works for all the long-suffering Toshiba laptop users who have experienced this sound problem through one or more Toshiba Laptops.  I happened upon the solution by chance.  Although my sound wasn't working, I wanted to download some music for the holidays and put it on a CD, to listen to in my car.  I went to the Apple website (Apple.com) to download the iTunes software.  I downloaded the software and proceeded to install it.  During the installation process, the iTunes software asked if I wanted the iTunes software to be the default program to play all audio files.  I clicked the "yes" box and selected iTunes to be the default program to play all audio files (thinking that my current system software delivered no sound at all, so why not?).  The software finished installing and I re-booted the system.  From that moment forward my sound has functioned perfectly with no more problems or interruptions.  Hope this works for you!

nicemachines

I have never had my Toshiba Satellite L505 S5990 have sound.  The icon by the clock says there are NO AUDIO devices installed.  What the hell?  I tried installing drivers from Toshiba, doesn't work!  Any advice?  Hopefully it is only a software driver problem, not sure!  So much for the cheap Chinese parts!

operat0r

be sure to check the headphone jack current laptop im messing with it works for a bit when you plug in headphone jack .. stupid auto apps that 'detect' when you plugin headphones etc prob not helping.. get contact cleaner and spray it while unpluged and batteryless and then plug-unplug a few times .. and X yer fingers -rmccurdyDOTcom