Occasional Contributor
almevi

Standard "Exclamation" sound randomly generated

[ Edited ]

Well, my first installation on a Toshiba L770 - 12R with Win7 64 bit two weeks ago was some kind of traumatic. I followed the current installation routine and reached a point when I had to decide wether to install a google navigation bar or not. From that point on the Internet Explorer started to open windows randomly. It was a real mess ... I called the hotline. They told me to reinstall the system to exlude a malware attack. Though I had a lot of work to do, I did it from the scratch. It was the same thing once again!!! As I use Opera, it was easy for me to decide to deinstall IE and Google Chrome, though it was not easy ... There is really a lot of pestering software going round! Finally I cleaned everthing up with CCleaner, I had Malwarebytes and Spybot running. Nothing suspicious was found. Since then I can fairly use the notebook to work, but there ist still one thing that shatters my nerve from time to time: every now and then some issue triggers randomly the standard "Exclamation" windows sound combined with a slight flickering of the screen and closing, for example, the start or context menu if they happen to be open. No message display. I can't figure out what the reason is. I had a look at the event viewer but nothing seems to correlate with this issue. Still I think it has to be possible to locate a specific action from a specific operating system! Anyway, I hope somebody can give me a hint, because I'm beginning to doubt if there's really a difference between a properly operating computer and an infected one ...

Al

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Standard "Exclamation" sound randomly generated

there ist still one thing..

Looks like you must have the German version, Al.

Satellite Pro L770-12R (PSK3XE-00W006GR)

Let's make some experiments.

What happens when you boot into Safe Mode?

Start your computer in safe mode

Also, what happens when you boot into another account. If necessary, create one.

Create a user account

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
almevi

Hi Jerry,

first, thank you for your answer. 

- Yes, it's a german version the code is correct. 

- if you think it's helpful I will give those experiments a try, but please consider that I have to do my work (at least this is the reason why I bought my notebook). Unfortunatly I can't afford much time waiting for something that may not occur for several hours. Therefore, I think I'll try your second suggestion first and wil create the next days an account. I suppose it is possible to access my applications from this account. So I can do my work, "watch" what happens and report you.

Al 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

every now and then some issue triggers randomly the standard "Exclamation" windows sound combined with a slight flickering of the screen 

I don't know how to otherwise identify what's causing the trouble. But you should be able to live with that if occurs infrequently.

You will not be able to carry on business as usual from a newly minted account. If it works better, we would transfer your stuff to it.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
almevi

[ Edited ]

But you should be able to live with that if occurs infrequently.

Ok, I thought i. e. about recording audio with that notebook. Imagine you have already finished, let's say, 23 min. of a well tuned and elaborated recording and out of the blue the computer starts this "ping" again. This could be one of the situations that makes you want to smash the computer against the wall!!! (By the way: I understand - for pecuniary reasons -, but I do not approve of at all that a new installation is bloated with those tons of bad tuned add-ware. It can be absolutely counterproductive. I bought a Lenovo for my son some time ago and I did not nearly have the problems I had now. For this reason, I don't know if I would buy a Toshiba again ...).

May be I could also try it the other way round: Could you tell me some suffix or event related with those sounds that I probably could find in the event viewer or the Windows Task Manager? Then I could have a look now and then on the side ...

I also will follow your suggestions, but this could take some more time.

By the way: Today, saturday 03.03.12, between 16:00 and 16:20 mideuropean time I heard the sound about 5 times. And some days ago, as the internet connection was temporarily unavailable, I also heard it once (though I can't asure any more if it was really for no reason - but I think so). So it really could be triggered by the notebook itself and not, how I thought first, by some extern impulse.

Thank you

Al 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Sorry, Al, I don't have more to offer.

Perhaps you can find a situation or sequence which makes the sound occur more frequently. Then you will be able to experiment.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
almevi

[ Edited ]

Hi Jeff,

ok, I think I found out what the reason for the sound event is. Please have a look at this:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/find-application-making-sounds-in-background/

It was very helpful. The Process Monitor shows the "taskhost.exe" as the trigger (please see the attachment).

What I still couldn't find out to save my life is how to deactivate the sound event (and may be all the other inconveniences too) associated with this .exe! May be you could help me now??? It would be highly appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Al 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good for you, Al. Ramesh Srinivasan has great information on his site. And you can trust him.

Trouble is that Taskhost.exe is just hosting the DLL that creates the audio. It works just like Svchost.exe to host DLL-based services. You can use Process Explorer to see what it hosts. I've attached a picture. You can read about it here.

Unfortunately, that doesn't tell us which program tells the DLL to produce the sound. Maybe you can locate that program the same way.

Again, if you can find a situation or sequence that makes the sound occur, we can no doubt track it down quickly.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
almevi

So, here I am again. Excuse me, Jeff, if you look at the screenshots: are you able to identify something relevant? Sorry, I'm really no expert at this level.

As far as I can see, there is NO specific sequence or situation. The sound comes up quite irregularly, just with no specific program but may be the browser open and can be heard sometimes out of the blue three, four or five times subsequently in intervals of, let's say, 3, 5 until 10 minutes and then pause for several hours or return after one hour. Just at lib ...

Thanks

Al 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sorry, Al, nothing there helps. You're looking for an *.exe file that triggers the sound.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
almevi

[ Edited ]

ok, but where does it appear: in PMonitor or PExplorer? Is there an other way to filter the relevant files?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I can't say more than Ramesh did.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
almevi

[ Edited ]

What about audiodg.exe? I saw it appear for some time on the Process Explorer after a sound event (this time only once) and then again disappear. 

And: What should/can I do if I find the original trigger .exe?

As the context window of taskhost.exe in PExplorer always disappears when I make a screenshot, I wrote it down:

Comand Line:
"taskhost.exe"
Path:
C\Windows\System32\taskhost.exe
Tasks:
Microsoft PlaySoundService Class [\Microsoft\Windows\Multimedia\SystemSoundsService]
MsCtfMonitor task handler [\Microsoft\Windows\TextServicesFramework\MsCtfMonitor]
HotStart User Agent [\Microsoft\Windows\MobilPC\HotStart] 

I can confirm that the audiodg.exe ist related with the sound. Both, sound and the appearance of audiodg.exe in PExplorer coincided again.

Attached you'll find a new screenshot.

Thanks again

Al 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

What about audiodg.exe? 

What about it? That process is essentially the audio engine for Windows. (You can read about how it sometimes leaks memory in KB981013.)

We are interested in the application which calls on that function to play a sound.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
almevi

Well, sorry, the only files I can detect are on the screenshot. The filter includes "exclamation, wav" and all .exe excluding some exe like "explorer.exe" and a few others that don't trigger the sound but take a lot of space showing up very often ...

Al 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sorry I can't help more from way over here.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
almevi

Ok, I tried what you said: I created an account. It makes the same sound. I deactivated most of the startup programs and it' the same. I started in safety mode and there's no sound, but obviously the audio service is not loaded. So I opened the start menu to see if it becomes closed. Start menu stays open, but I'm not sure if it's because the sound can't be activated. I think it's Toshibas turn and they should solve those problems. Today on Sunday - I don't konw why - I heard the sound very often. This ist not ok!

Al 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Today on Sunday - I don't konw why - I heard the sound very often.

That's good news. Maybe you can make the experiment to discover whether it happens after a clean boot.

1. Open the System Configuration utility (msconfig.exe).

2. On the General tab, click Selective startup and clear the Load startup items check box.

3. On the Services tab, click the Hide all Microsoft services check box and click Disable all.

4. OK out and restart the computer.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
almevi

Unfortunatly the sound events persist ...

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If it does not occur in Safe Mode but does after a clean boot, then some device driver not loaded in Safe Mode would be involved.

I suppose the driver in question may be the sound itself. Does that shut off in Safe Mode? I don't recall.

-Jerry