hipwelljo
Accepted Solution

Sound is not coming out of speakers, but headphones work?

I have a Satellite L505-S5990 laptop. Today while I was sitting at home browsing the Internet, I realized there was no sound coming out of the speakers. It was working just fine minutes before. It was sitting on the counter the entire time and it just silently stopped working.

So I grabbed some headphones and plugged them in and they worked.

I restarted the computer, still no sound coming from speakers.

Windows 7 found no problems while troubleshooting the sound.

I downloaded the Automated Troubleshooting Services to diagnose and fix sound playback issues from Microsoft but that didn't find any issues.

I uninstalled the sound driver and installed the one that came with this laptop. I still get the same result. No sound from speakers but headphones work.

Can anyone please tell me how to fix this?

Thanks!!

hipwelljo

Re: Sound is not coming out of speakers, but headphones work?

[ Edited ]

I figured it out!! I put my laptop into sleep mode, then turned it back on. I heard a little gentle pop from the speakers, like always. I logged in and my sound worked!

The weird thing is literally within 30 seconds the sound quit working again. So I put it to sleep and resumed again. Now it's been working for a few minutes. I hope this is solved.

What could cause that?? I don't think it's a virus because I'm protected, but you never know. Do you think it could be maybe a software on my computer that's muting the speakers or something?

Thanks for your help.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L505-S5990 

I uninstalled the sound driver and installed the one that came with this laptop.

I put my laptop into sleep mode, then turned it back on. ... I logged in and my sound worked!

That's a strange story. Please keep us posted.

-Jerry
rumbled

same thiong just happened to me.turning on and offf didnt fix the problem, but putting it in sleep mode (pressing the power button) then waking it up again fixed the problem. weird, but glad its sorted.

thanks for the above post, i was about to admit defeat!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

rumbled wrote:

same thiong just happened to me

Which model laptop do you have?

-Jerry
frederickunltd

I recently encountered the same problem.  I don't know just how long the problem has existed; I generally use headphones.  I have an A505-S6015.  I let it go to sleep, and sometimes that fixed it.  Sometimes I shut it down, and that fixed it.  Seems very random.

SBYRD

THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!! Thanks for figuring that out!  I don't know why that works, but it works!

Soumys

Thanks for that info... It worked fine with me as well.. After struggling for 3 hours, I jst put the laptop into sleep mode and then started again.. Bingo... There it goes.. Sound came back in the laptop speakers...

Thanks..

Occasional Contributor
SandwichGuy

That might probably be one of a random fix for this issue. But if headphones work fine and speakers do not produce sound, usually, BIOS is being set to defaults and that should fix it.

ebanks14

Same thing just happened to me, and Sleep mode worked.  Glad I found this posting because I never would have guessed..   I don't usually use Sleep mode, I use Hibernate.  A505, Win 7.  

Ruthiel

Wow, I have got few laptops in my life, but never encountered something like this.

My new Toshiba Satellite Pro has been working just fine and then speakers all of sudden stopped making sounds, headphones worked and nothing was on mute.

Restarting, restoring to previous state did not work, but this SLEEP MODE has helped. Thank you so much.

I am quite dissapointed. I would not expect this from Toshiba.

Ruthiel

Supernovali

Dido to the aforementioned. Brother was playing WoW on my moms machine and said that the sound suddenly quit working. So far neither rebooting nor sleeping has yielded any results. Hopefully it's a software glitch and will eventually be worked out. Gonna try some more experiments and see if I can rule it out...

Supernovali

[ Edited ]

I'm tired of trying to figure out the cause but this post has a solution. I know it's an old post but it doesn't hurt to have more connections to the solutions so people can find them :smileyhappy:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Audio-Sound/Laptop-interal-speakers-stopped-working-suddenly/m-p/249835...

Bookemdano_651

So here is the Deal

I used to own a HP laptop. The first time I inserted a jack for earbuds they worked great.

Then I unplugged the earbuds and  the speakers would not work.

The unit was out of warranty and it cost half the price of a new lap top to repair it.

Yes it was the dainty little switches or contacts in the Headphone plug.

In Late 2009 I replaced that laptop with a Toshiba Satellite L505-S5990.

The speakers were never great but I put up with it. I will never overlook the speakers when choosing a laptop again.

Anyway the speakers have always worked until recently. My wife started to listen to music through some earbuds. After cycling the plug in and out several times over the past few weeks I have discovered this laptop also has the same symptom. If I plug the earbuds in they work but unplug them and the speakers don't.

I am almost positive that the contacts or "little switch" in the hardware is not re-establishing contact when the plug is removed.

I doubt cycling the lid or installing service packs or drivers will solve this.

Does anyone have any comments?

Dan

erjenkins1

I'm having the same problem with the C655-S158 model.

Headphones work fine, speakers work for 10 to 30 minutes. Put laptop to sleep, then immediately work it. Speakers work for another 10 to 30 minutes. I've tried multiple "solutions" with no positive results. Anyone figure out a permanent fix for this issue?

rajesharcot

It worked for me. Without the solution I restored the system, removed latest installations and finally found this solutions which worked. Thanks. 

SakurAome

Thanks so much for sharing the answer! I have a Satellite E205 and had the same issue with the speakers it was so weird because the Device Manager marked that every driver was working properly, I don't think I would have come with this solution so thanks a lot! =D!

DCastTGF

Wow, how true this is. When I read this...I realized that was exactly what I had done. So I put it back to sleep, woke it up. And presto...sound is back. And that was after uninstalling the Realtek audio Driver and re-installing it. Ha. THanks!!

MReno

This works for my notebook for about 5 minutes before the sound once again stops working.  Did anybody ever find a permanent solution?

Marmite

Just want to add another relieved reader of this thread.  I had lost the sound to my speakers even though I had sound to headphones. I was convinced it was a damaged headphone jack because I had pushed the headphone plug in harder the last evening when my wife complained that she could still hear the speakers while I listened with the headphones.  The next morning--no speaker sound.

I spent a few hours searching the web to see how to disassemble a satellite A505 and get to the jack.  But I wasn't even sure I could get a proper replacement jack that fit, and I was concerned that small damage, say to the ribbon connectors could render the computer useless--a large price to pay for just missing audio.  

Fortunately, I stumbled onto this thread and I recalled I had put the unit to sleep the night before--something I don't usually do, but I didn't want all the Chrome web sites to have to reload so I just put it to sleep.

When I put it to sleep again and fired it up--Sound!  I am so glad to find this solution so I just want to let people know it remains a viable option.

Doug