dbarbera

Sound distortion

I have a P755-S5320 and am experiencing intermittent sound distortion on any and all audio and video playback.  It's very irritating.  I have updated the audio drivers, which is about the extent of my troubleshooting knowledge.  Can someone please help?  Thanks.

Perfessor

Re: Sound distortion

I am having the same problem with my L745-S4210.

Peter

dbarbera, Perfessor, how often is it like this?

Perfessor, try updating the sound driver.

- Peter
Perfessor

I updated the driver with that update over the weekend with help from someone on the Windows 7 forum. I tried recording and the same problem is still there!

dbarbera

For me, the sound distortion is intermittent.  There is no real set pattern on how often it occurs.  I often listen to the radio online, and it's a short burst of crackling distortion that sometimes occurs every 2-3 minutes, sometimes it happens every 5-10 minutes.  Same when watching any video online like Youtube.  It's totally random, totally intermittent.

Peter

Perfessor, is it only with recorded audio? If you listen to an audio file that wasn't recorded by you, is there distortion?

dbarbera, does it happen with downloaded audio files as well? I'd like to try to determine whether it has something to do with the network or wireless driver.

- Peter
Perfessor

The only time I get the distortion is with recorded music. Any web based music or CD's work fine. I've tried adjusting the microphone every which way till Tuesday and it's still garbled on the playback.

Perfessor

Fixed the problem! There was a box checked in the Microphone Properties that said "enable audio enhancements" I unchecked the box and the recorded sound is crystal clear!

dbarbera

Hi Peter, it seems like it's more of a problem with streamin video and audio.  I don't really notice it with downloaded files.

Peter

Perfessor, I'm glad to hear it's working for you now!

dbarbera, you may want to try what Perfessor suggested.

In addition, try updating your Wi-Fi driver.

In the Start Menu's search field, type "Device Manager" and press ENTER. In the Device Manager, expand "Network adapters." What's listed there?

- Peter
dbarbera

Perfessor was having trouble with recording, so I'm not sure how that will help with my problem.  I did update the WiFi driver (at least I thought I did). 

Under Network adapters:

• Intel (R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN
  • Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
  • Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #2
  • Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Peter

You're right about that. Sorry, maybe I should have split the thread earlier so it wouldn't confuse me!

This is the link to your latest Wi-Fi driver:

Intel Wireless LAN Driver(v14.1.1.3.1.s64_wCAT; 07-07-2011; 10.16M)

Is that the one you updated? If not, try updating that.

If it's still not fixed, can you check something? You said it was a problem with streaming video and audio.

Will the problem happen with YouTube videos?

What happens if you pause it at the beginning, let it buffer completely, and then hit play?

Then, what happens if you if you pause a video at the beginning, let it buffer completely, but then when it's done buffering, open a second YouTube video in a new page. Pause it and let it buffer. Then move back to the first (that's fully buffered) and play it while the second one buffers. How does it function?

In case that's confusing, what I want to check is if active Wi-Fi use is causing the audio problem. You're ruling out a buffering problem (by using one that's fully buffered) but still allowing Internet traffic in the background (the second video buffering).

- Peter
dbarbera

Hi Peter, I downloaded the latest driver with the link you sent and still got intermittent distortion on each YouTube scenario you listed. Earlier, I downloaded a movie from iTunes and experienced no distortion (approx. 130 minutes).
Occasional Contributor
detsi

[ Edited ]

Hi guys. As this contribution is getting some attention and mine isn't may I take the liberty of adding my post :

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Audio-Sound/Audio-stutter-on-videos/td-p/346056.

Basically all I need to know the the type of drive rto install.

But can I also say that the only way that I can receive any decent audio playback is by setting the Flash Player priority to High in Task Manager.

[Moderator edit to fix link.]

Peter

detsi, I just posted in your thread. I'll address you there to keep myself from getting confused, but feel free to follow this thread too!

dbarbera, is this the sound driver you reinstalled?

Realtek Audio Driver(v6.0.1.6305_MAXX; 04-07-2011; 108.11M)

Try this one, that's older:

Realtek Audio Driver(v6.0.1.6305_MAXX; 03-30-2011; 110.24M)

Or this, if that doesn't fix it:

nVidia HD Audio Driver(v1.1.13.1; 01-10-2011; 6.38M)

Let's try reinstalling the latest Flash update as well:

Adobe Flash Player Support Center

- Peter
dbarbera

Thanks, Peter, I'll try downloading the suggested drivers.  One question, do I need to uninstall the old driver before downloading the new drivers, or is that necessary?

Peter

If they show up in "Programs and Features" (which is where you uninstall applications), you might want to uninstall them before installing the next. You likely won't need to do so, but it could be a good idea.

- Peter
dbarbera

Hi Peter, none of the drivers fix the problem.  The intermittent distortion continues.

Peter

Try seeing if the problem persists when doing a clean boot.

How can I perform a clean startup of Windows 7 without my startup items to troubleshoot a problem?

A clean startup is a test. If the problem goes away, you'd want to re-enable some of the services until you figure out which is causing the problem. If the problem still doesn't go away, you'll want to undo the clean startup anyways.

If the clean startup doesn't solve it for you, you may want to perform a full system recovery, which wipes your data and returns it to factory default conditions, to determine whether or not it's a hardware failure. You could also contact customer support at (800) 457-7777.

- Peter
skivandal

Have the same problem with U300 running windows 8. It only manifests it self when wifi is connected. Any ideas?