NYDP
Accepted Solution

Sound Netbook NB305-N410

Just bought the netbook NB305-N410, there is only a faint sound coming from the speakers, mute is off and the volume was at 100%, that's where my knowledge stops, could this be a driver?

Occasional Advisor
bennor

Re: Sound Netbook NB305-N410

[ Edited ]

If your laptop uses the Realtek HD Audio drivers than chances are the driver is not configured property. These directions are for Windows 7, other operating systems may require a slightly different set of steps. 

First, either download and install the latest Toshiba audio drivers for your laptop via the Toshiba Support web site, or download and install the latest Realtek HD Audio drivers from the Realtek website.

Second, once the audio drivers have been updated, enable "Loudness Equalization" on either the Start --> Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Realtek HD Audio Manager --> Sound Effects tab, then click OK to save the setting change. Or on the Start --> Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Sound --> Speaker Properties (select Speakers then the Properties button) --> Enhancements tab, scroll down the list of sound effects to enable "Loudness Equalization" then select the OK button to save the setting changes.

Once the Realtek drivers have been updated and the "Loudness Equalization" has been enabled the system sound audio level is much louder, however the DVD and Audio CD audio levels might continue to be low for some users. Also some find that setting the Equalizer, found under the Realtek HD Audio Manager Sound Effects tab or on the Speaker Enhancement tab, to "Powerful" seems to help with the sound levels.

If your laptop uses the Conexant Pebble High Definition Smartaudio driver, try uninstalling the audio driver via the Start --> Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Device Manager --> Sound, video and game controllers, reboot the computer and let Microsoft install its own audio driver. Some people have had better luck fixing the low audio levels with default Microsoft audio driver over the Realtek HD or Conexant Pebble driver versions.

NYDP

This solved the problem.

I had to download the driver from realtek, since the driver was not on the toshiba website for my particular computer.  I downloaded the 32bit exe file since I was using windows 7 starter. 

When the computer restarted the second time (after installing the new driver), the computer completed a three step disk check for consistency don't do anything, I just let it run its course.

To change the audio to the "powerful" setting, go to the control panel and select view by small icons.  Then select the realtek HD audio manager, select sound effects tab, then check the box "loudness equalization" (if it is unchecked), then next to equalizer select the drop down menu and select "powerful"

Note: When I first purchased the computer the driver said it was operating properly and did not need to be updated.  However following the above steps increased the volume.

Thank you very much for the assistance.

jeffgbrock

I too have noticed that the sound is horrible on this laptop.  I just bought it on Saturday and am debating whether to return it.  One of the reasons I selected this model was that it has a built in web camera and I wanted my wife to be able to use it for skype.  Unfortunately, the sound quality makes this impossible.

I guess I am willing to try updating the drivers to see if this helps.  I have already tried everything else I have read here as far as settings.  If it has made no difference that I can hear.  There are no updated drivers available from Toshiba.  

Did you just run the executable?  tell windows to update the driver and point it at the downloaded file?  what file did you download?

jmaccrate

I have the same problem.

Tech support could not help.  The sound is still poor.

Customer service was horrible, when you are a new client. I too would like an answer or a new netbook that works like it is supposed to.

jmaccrate

I tried this but the volume is still too low.  I would not recommend this mini netbbok at this point.  This is only one of many reasons.

Iduna

I had the same problem. Pity that the driver is not located in the download section which comes up when you select NB305-xxx. After I downloaded the Realtek drivers (as recommended above) and installed my laptop rebooted once (not as often as reported above). Only after ticking "loudness equalization" (as mentioned above) the sound volume improved significantly. But the internal microphone did not work. I realized that in the recording tab there were two drivers installed. I reinstalled once again the Realtek driver (by starting the setup.exe). This time after reboot the internal microphone worked and in the recording tab there is only one driver.

All in all I must say that there seem to be driver issues and if one is not a small expert he will have to battle a lot. I am not sure who to blame, Toshiba or Microsoft. I just wish Toshiba would post a sticky thred for the NB305 with all the known issues in order to avoid that new users return this laptop while the solution is easy once found.

Boogerhead

Bennor, thank you. I didn;t notice much of a difference with loudness equialization, but the powerful setting in the equalizer made this usable. Thank you. Now if only I can get used to the keyboard ... =)
robertrmayo

I bought my NB305-410 yesterday and I am also having the problem with the very low external speaker volume. I initially could only find the Realtek audio driver download for the XP operating system (not the Windows7 Starter which I'm running). So I called Toshiba Tech Support and they told me to use the XP driver for Windows7 whichI did. Still no luck I called Tech Support back to make sure I had all the volume controls set right. I did. It seems that this unit just has lousy external volume. I hope they can do something software-wise to fix this and make it available for downloading. I'm not looking for concert hall sound -- just something I can hear much better than its doing. I will say this: the volume and sound are super using the Grado Labs SR80 headphones with the unit. So far, I like everything else about this unit. But Toshiba needs to fix this external speaker volume problem.

brooksd2

After doing all the above, my sound improved but not quite loud enough, as I was closing the lid I got a true surprize the audiofeed back screamed as the microphone came close to the speakers.

Speakers definitely work, just not with its present setup, I would like to set the levels at about 50% so that when I take the computer out of this quiet environment I will be able to hear it by increasing the volume.

:womanvery-happy:Hopefully somebody will stumble onto the exact setting for maximum volume for this netbook.

K2
K2

I have been on the phone with tech support all morning.  They uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, checked all settings and finally told me that this is a mini and not a laptop - effectively, told me get over it and buy some external speakers.  I'm sorry I didn't get this info earlier; I would not have bought this machine!

ShibaGirl

I've got a new N305-N413BN netbook with Windows 7 and the speaker volume is too low.  I've think I downloaded and installed the drivers suggested in this forum but the volume remains low.  Please, for us technically challenged netbook owners, can someone post a step-by-step guide of exactly which driver to install and exactly how to install it?  I'm thinking about returning it to the store if I can't fix it.

robertrmayo

The external speakers ARE lousy. Useless in fact. The good news is that's the only bad experience I've had with this netbook. AND... good headsets (e.g. Grado SR80's) provide loud, studio-like sound. I practice my guitar with these headsets and I hear notes I do not hear on a very good sound system.

Thorwest

28 May 2010: I just tuned in yesterday and found help for my two week old NB 305 N410 BL. I was hardly able to hear any sound from the speakers after turning up all available volume controls. I made a fruitless call to Toshiba. The "expert" had me do what I had already done then told me that "its a small machine and doesn't have much volume, do you have an external speaker". I plugged in my desktop speakers and they worked fine, but I didn't buy a mini computer to carry external speakers around.

Then I found advice on this site about downloading an updated driver from Realtek. I downloaded Vista_Win7_R248_x86.exe and proceeded to install it. At least I thought I had installed it until much later in my futile attempts to get more volume when I found that the original drivers were still in power! Then I found reference to another procedure to try, balancing? Maximizing? the speakers---Can't find my notes and don't want to search the letters again---Anyway it worked! Its not loud but it is usable.

Now the next problem is the recorder. The playback volume on that is even lower than the original speaker problem was. More wasted hours of research ahead. Why can't the manufacturers just get it right or at least correct their failures?

Thanks to those of you who work through these things and help the rest of us.

LaurenDee

This thread worked PERFECTLY for me.  I just moved to an island in the Caribbean, West Indies, for Nursing school so using skype to keep in contact with my family and friends is essential!!  Unfortunately, the laptop that I had brought with me was shorted out from the electrical current in outlets here (little did I know I should have been using a surge protector!) so I just asked my parents to purchase a little netbook (cheap and practical) and send it out to me, and this is the one that they chose.

Everything about this computer is fantastic; for the cost of it and for my specific needs.  I bring it with me everywhere I go and the battery life is so amazing, I can bring it to school and use it all day long and then I still have battery life left at the end of the day.  My one and only complaint was the sound!  

I tried to skype my dad from school and I literally could not hear a word that he was saying.  I was SO disappointed.  Ever since then I have just been plugging in my headphones any time that i needed to hear anything.  Today I decided to search google to see if I was the only one having issues with this and/or if there was a solutions.  Thankfully when I searched for problems with sound for this computer, I was brought to this site.  I followed the directions and viola!!  My sound is perfect now and I no longer have any complaints concerning this computer!  THANK YOU!!!

Thorwest

30 May 2010: Just a followup on my previous message. I have tried unsuccessfully to raise the volume of the recorders playback. The other playback volumes are not great but are usable without a headset, but the recorder is useless. I have tried every combination of internal / external mike, volume settings etc. to no avail.

Has anyone been able to use the built-in recorder on the NB 305 models?

By the way, all my sound drivers appear to be Microsoft products.

k1smm

I feel your pain.  I have a new L505d-GS6000 and have the same problem that it appears hundreds of user have.  Dealing with Toshiba on this issue has been frustrating and dysfunctional.  It appears that they are not interested in fixing the problem, even though it is so pervasive.  I know that I will look for something else next time.

BuckPepper

I also was disappointed in the sound volume on my NB305-410BL. After trying all the "fixes" to no avail I opted to buy an external speaker. After a bit of research I bought the Tritton Sound Bite Xtreme at amazon.com. It is a one-piece USB 2.1 portable unit. The computer recognized and installed all the necessary drivers in less than a minute. I must say the volume in quite sufficient for my needs--two speakers and a built in subwoofer. If you want a compact, portable speaker that requires no external power source this might be for you. A nice feature on the speaker is an independent volume control.

gt66gt

Where are the directions for fixing sound?

Peter

My NB 305 is oveheating, Help!

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.