shatani

Satellite L755D - sound keeps cutting out for no apparent reason

I posted this in another thread, but thought I might need to start one of my own since a solution had been found by that person and I am still having a problem.

So, about three weeks ago the sound on my computer began just cutting out for no apparent reason.  It happened while I was watching streaming video and I tried updating all my software stuff (like flash and java and things of that nature).  It still continued to happen and now it was happening with streaming video, with youtube type videos, and with mp3s stored on this computer.

I discovered that if I went to the control panel and clicked on sound/hardware and then clicked on the tab for recording, the sound immediately came back.  So, I've been doing this for the past couple of weeks and it is extremely annoying!

In another thread on ths forum, the individual discovered that the Malwarebytes program had been the culprit and I was happy to have an answer, except that I had installed security software last week which removed MB from my computer.  And I continue to have the issue even today.  I clicked on the link in the other thread to update my drivers and I continue to have the issue.

Can anyone help?  It's making me crazy!

Thanks in advance.

shatani

Re: Satellite L755D - sound keeps cutting out for no apparent reason

i guess i'm destined to live in silence...  *sad*

Peter

What's your full model and part number? They can be found on the label on the bottom.

- Peter
shatani

satellite l755d-s5363

part no. psk32u-00y00n

Peter

I don't see any mention of this issue unfortunately.

Have you tried reinstalling the audio drivers?

Conexant Audio Driver(v8.51.2.51; 07-25-2011; 59.4M)

- Peter
shatani

yes, i have.

shatani

im gonna try it again

gjd
gjd

I'm having this same problem with my Satellite L755D.   Tried reinstalling drivers.   Ran scans for malware and viruses.  Ran Troubleshoot.   Called Toshiba support 800# and was told that their best recommendation was for me to go through Recover process -- REAL pain to go through all of that which meant the loss of some of my files even though I thought I had taken necessary steps to back up and. . . .you guessed it!!  I'm STILL having the audio periodically cut out.

Would love for you to keep me in the loop if you discover a solution!

russbgranr

I continue to have the problem as well.

Loopie

I have the same problem with my Satellite C655. Seems to be a fairly common problem with all Toshiba Satellites based on the forums. Hopefully, they'll address the issue, instead of ignoring it like they have been.

Loopie

FrustratedSound

All remedies tried and failed, no sound after a few to several minutes so I cant watch or listen to anything!

This is my first laptop and its unusable after only 1 1/2 years?!

If Toshiba thinks its reasonable for the sound to go haywire with no recourse I cant imagine how I could ever justify to myself purchasing another Toshiba.

If you work for Toshiba Peter, help me understand this, I just dont get it... 

Peter

Try these solutions.

1. Reinstall the driver
  2. Perform a System Restore
  3. Check if it works in Safe Mode.
  4. If it works in Safe Mode, use a clean startup to check if one of your other applications is interfering. If it doesn't work in Safe Mode, skip this step.
  5. Perform a System Recovery

If none of those work, it may need servicing.

- Peter
Ozwald

Im adding that i am having the same problem. It started a week or two ago.

Sound cuts out and the only way to get it back is to insert headphones into either microphone or headphone jack. both bring the sound back after it is unpluged from jacks.

Sound can last for 5 seconds to an hour. volume seems to have no effect on the length of time the sound is present.

What i have done:
re-installed drivers

updated drivers

changed sound quality (16bit and 32bit)

Nothing has worked.

Model: L755-s5308
Recived for christmas 2011

white43

OK - I'm getting this as well.

Satellite L750-1E5.

It was fine for ages and this started happening about a month ago now.

- tried updating the drivers

- System restored back to when it worked, not working

This led me to think it was a hardware problem.

My gut feeling however was that it was some sort of driver problem as sound would cutout after about 2 minutes, but would often come back if I started playing another song or something.

Reinstalled Windows 7(64 bit) and played through an entire song with no issues(using Windows 7 sound drivers).

Ran Windows update and the issue has come back.  Installed the proper Conexant driver, but issue still occurring.

I believe a Windows update has caused this issue.

white43

OK - now.

I've tried a Linux distro - live CD, issue still occuring.

Installed Windows 8, issue still occurring.

This is hardware I think.

MilanLesic

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem on Satellite c655d-s5209 and it is happening when i watch any kind of flash video on Youtube or Twitch... I updated flash player to 11.8 then downgraded to 10.3,installed new audio drivers and the problem is still there.

Sound works fine when i whatch HTML5 videos.

asmolenskiy

[ Edited ]

It is surely hardware.

I have the same issue, but I also have two OS installed: Windows 7 and OpenSUSE. Problem is existing in both OS'es. Sound cuts in Skype, IE, Chrome on Windows, and in Mozilla in OpenSUSE. Issue appeared suddenly a couple of weeks aga after a year of usage. Might it be overheating issue due to dust collection?  Or BIOS issue? I see that this problem is common for TOSHIBA laptops - is there any seervice statistics?

upd

Didn't encounter this issue in HDMI playback yet.

mixxxmastermac

L755D-S5204 here. This problem started happening a little over a year after normal use. When I do sound tests in any OS I'm in, they always pass. The OS is completely unaware that anything stopped. The issue fixes when I plug and unplug headphones, and the issue never happens when using headphones or external sound system. It's surely a hardware issue.

mvan4310

L755D-S5109, same issue. Started about a year after purchase. Im going to open up the laptop later and see what I can find on the inside, hopefully something worth opening the laptop up for.

asmolenskiy

[ Edited ]

Did somebody try to clean it up from dust? Did it help?