macrowder
Accepted Solution

Satellite L505-S6959 Internal Speakers Not Working

Up until a couple hours ago, the internal speakers on my L505-S6959 were working just fine, but my battery ran low and the laptop went into hibernation mode.  When I plugged it in and restored Windows from hibernation, the internal speakers were not working; however, external speakers or headphones work just fine. 

I removed the device in the device manager and let Windows reinstall it to no avail.  In addition I downloaded the latest Realtek driver from support.toshiba.com, version 6.0.1.5809, but this did not work either.  Then I went directly to the Realtek site to see if they had an updated driver, and they do, version 6.0.1.5919, but this did not work either. 

After updating the driver each time, I tested both the internal and external speakers.  Each time the internal speakers did not work, but the external ones did.

I would appreciate any advice on how to fix this issue.  The laptop is less than 2 months old and should not have this problem. 

If you require additional information to help resolve the matter, please ask.

Thanks!

parkerAU

Re: Satellite L505-S6959 Internal Speakers Not Working

I am having the exact same problem, any help would be appreciated.

onyxsylph

It seems to me if the power runs low the computer cuts off the sound until the power is back up to a certain percentage. This has happened to me quite a few times and the sound always worked after I charged up the computer and restarted it.

peter733

message for macrowder, parkerAU and onyxsylph

have you guys found solution ? or discover any other problem with the Toshiba 16" notebook ? i'm thinking of buying one and want to know the quality.

thanks,

peter

macrowder

Peter,

My volume did come back after I let the battery charge.  I don't know if it was a coincidence or the cause of the issue, but it is working now and I have not had any problems since.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

This (and several other problems) are recurring issues with Toshiba laptops in general.  There are some work fixes, but no actual PERMANENT solutions.  For some people it's an almost daily occurance to apply one or more of the fixes (normally with every reboot).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with. What do you mean by "no actual PERMANENT solutions"?

Solutions will vary with individual instances of a type of symptom.  Sometimes solutions are related to software, sometimes system configuration, sometimes hardware repair.  Some are more difficult and time-consuming to troubleshoot and resolve than others, but I think you do a disservice by suggesting that there are problems with no solution.

Is there a specific problem you're experiencing that you've not been able to find a solution for?

Jim

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Look at the amount of people who post here with audio, usb, and optical disk problems.  They uninstall the drivers and upon rebooting the system the problem goes away, for awhile.  They then have to do this over and over again.  Even systems that they have sent in for repair and have had hardware components replaced will shortly thereafter have the symptoms return.  This is the very definition of a recurring issue with no permanent solution as it is NEVER completely eliminated.    

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

[ Edited ]

It's important to keep in mind that we have sold millions of laptops, and will be selling millions more in the next few months, along with the fact that this is a support forum so it is going to attract people who are experiencing problems.  Though it can seem like a lot when that's all you see here in the forums, the percentage of our customers experiencing problems is very low.  But don't take my word for it.  Check out the recent service and reliability survey results from PCmag.com.

I understand that some issues are persistent and take longer to solve, especially intermittent problems.  Just like taking a car to a mechanic and suddenly it no longer makes that sound you wanted to have checked out.  No doubt, not all efforts to repair a computer are successful on the first attempt, and sometimes assumed hardware problems can actually be software issues that are reintroduced over time, after reimaging a hard disk.

It's not productive or helpful to speak in generalities.  Any specific instance of a symptom is going to have a specific cause. Only specific problems on a specific laptop can be solved, one at a time.  The focus of this forum is for the community to try to help each other solve specific problems.  In general, that's only going to address configuration and software issues, but that does account for most problems that people experience with computers.  Actual hardware problems requiring repair are relatively rare.

Most hardware repairs are successful and resolve the problem "permanently" (not that any piece of electronic gear is going to last forever).

Jim

lu-barna

Seems like this thread has turned into a subjet about how good (or bad?) is Toshiba's service and quality parts.

Regarding the main issue that matters, I have the same problem in the same conditions that Macrowder: It's a

Satellite L505-S6959 and, after battery run out of charge and went to sleep, I rushed to re-plug the cord, notebook woke up, and internal speakers DIED. However, with externals is OK.

I'm turning off and fully recharging, hoping this workaround works. I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Lu.

macrowder

Lu,

I have had this issue happen one other time, where the battery ran out of charge and the speakers stopped working.  Again, once the battery was recharged, the speakers started working like normal. 

I hope you have the same result!

lu-barna

CONFIRMED!!!!

After fully recharged, internal speakers are OK!! :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

Now it's time to find out if Toshiba will handle us some patch so we can fix it forever.

Thanks people!!

Lu.

rajmohata

For my Toshiba satellite L505 laptop also, neither internal and external speakers are working. I have tried recharging the battery to 100 percent and tried earphones n regular speakers both. I also restarted the pc twice. but to no avail. This is the 2nd time i'm facing this problem. I don't know how it got fixed the previous time. perhaps i restarted the system in the previous case and it got fixed.

Please help. This is my first Toshiba laptop and i bought it after hearing only good stuff about Tosa=hiba laptops. Don't let my trust break.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Try going into Device Manager and uninstalling the Audio Devices then restart Windows to let it reinstall them.  If that doesn't work post back.

Wildcat7

New to the Forum here and I have the same problem with my L505-S5964.  Not only are the speakers on this new laptop far lower in sound output compared to my last Toshiba Laptop (which I will add was stolen from the trunk of my car on the very day I took it to buy a replacment LCD screen, after I bought the screen) I've now had this sound problem on two occasions.

The first time I had to do system resore in Vista at four different points before one of them "took" and fixed the problem.

This is unacceptable for a NEW laptop. I also expect HELP and not disdainful remarks such as what I've been reading from Administrator Jim in this posting.  I am one of your many customers, I gave your company my money again after getting burned on the last Toshiba laptop in several respects (including an internal clock that kept loosing time)and I expect RESPECT from EVERYONE with your company when I have a problem with your products and your prompt attention in resolving what does appear to be an ongoing issue.  After all... judging from our economy these days; without customers people loose thier jobs, so when we as customers who spend our hard earned money on your products (that keep you employed) come here for help to fix problems, we have a right to be angry or frustrated since this should not be happening and we expect your help us and not backtalk or give a sales pitch after we've already bought the product.

I own my own business, and every one of my jobs before that has involved working with the public so I understand this philosophy as being the proper way to treat a customer and necessary to keep thier business, becasue it's fat more expensive and harder to gain new customers than to keep the ones you already have.

Now my speakers were working this afternoon and now only my headphones will work. I updated Windows Defender definitions, yet the sound stopped working a few hours before that.  I've had to restart a couple of times due to Firefox Crashing today (too many tabs open on different business projects) and did have the battery turn the computer off when it was a five percent left and I think that's when it's happened.  Again, Ive restarted about four times and tried system restore (which did work the second time) yet no change and the speakers are still not working.  The battery is fully charged now as well so that hasn't resolved the problem.  I'm going to shut the computer down, unplus it and take out the battery for ten minutes to let any remaining power discharge from the laptop.  I will repost again IF this solves the problem, yet if I do not repost in a little while, then you'll know that the problem is not yet resolved and that we need a fix for this issue.

CR

Wildcat7

CR Here again and actually the unplug and remove the battery to take all power from the computer worked to fix the problem.  I rebooted after reinstalling the battery and then plugged the cord back in and the speakers worked again after startup.

Yet this must be some sort off software or driver data/direction looping issue that needs to be looked into to diagnose and fix the problem with a patch or update of some sort. Many customers won't be able to locate a fix for something like this online (unless they find this thread) and that will just make them angry and loose you future business. 

It's a new economy and every dollar counts now, so please investigate and fix this glitch as it's affecting two and posibly more models here; and my fix this evening might not work for everyone.

CR

Occasional Contributor
sirjames

that did the trick unplugged power and took battery out for 5 minutes.  Replaced battery and powered up and bingo speakers working.  Thanks  satellite a505 s-6965 win 7 psap3u

egeezer

Also applies to Toshiba Satellite L505-S5964 Internal Speakers Not Working

Toshiba L505-S5964 also failed, same issues. Had to pull battery to get it working again. O/S Windows Vista Home Premium, current updates, current Realtek driver from Toshiba download site, Windows Security Essentials as AV product.

I agree, this is something that needs to be addressed. It's beginning to look like Toyota and their denial of accelerator and braking problems until the publicity caught up with them.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Also applies to Toshiba Satellite L505-S5964 Internal Speakers Not Working

And Toyota is STILL denying that the problem is as bad as it is.

GC53

A similar thing happened this afternoon with my Satellite L505-S5984.  I didn't realize the power cord had come loose (at the midline transformer block) and was running off the battery, until the screen went dark, as the system went into hibernation.  I restored the AC, and the battery commenced recharging.  Some time later I observed that the internal speakers were not working, although the headphone jack worked, and all the settings indicated no issues.  Restarting the system did not solve the problem.  But rather than shutting down and removing the battery, as suggested above, I shut down the system, and removed the power cable and unplugged all USB devices.  Then waited about five minutes.  I plugged the AC line back in, booted up the system, and the internal speakers were working again.  I noticed that there is no power setting that explains this issue, and unless it's covered somewhere in the BIOS settings (I haven't looked yet) I can only guess it's a "hidden" power-save feature that Toshiba needs to publish to its consumer base.