otisphil

Satellite C655 Sound Quality

I have exhausted every possible solution found thus far on the web, yet the sound from my new laptop has very low depth or resolution.  It is tinny, shallow and has no bass to speak of.  It is as if I have plugged in a set of ear buds, left them on my desk and turned the volume up.  The COMPAQ that finally gave up the ghost this week was 4 years old and had excellent sound quality from the small, onboard speakers.

I have tried new and different drivers.  I have downloaded and run the sound wizard for Windows 7 (64).  I have sought every sound related update there is to be found but to no avail.  The speakers test fine and produce wonderful sound during the test and level setting but whether I play streaming media or CD's the sound is just subpar.

This machine will be returned if I cannot get it to produce adequate sound quality. 

oneminstrel

Re: Satellite C655 Sound Quality

I have the same problem on my new L655. Help! anyone ?

cspierce61

I have that problem also on my new C655, purchased 1/25/2012! Couldn't 'someone' help us with that problem?

Peter

Which C655 do you have? There should be a label on the bottom.

What operating system are you using? Did it sound better at one time?

- Peter
cspierce61

Hi Peter;

It's a C655D-S5064 AMD ATHLON II P320. I purchased it on 1/25/12, it's had that problem from day one. It does have a little bit of volume. I can lower it from that point, but it won't raise any further up to a decent point. The headphone jack has good volume.

Thanks for your responce, hope you can help?

Craig

cspierce61

Sorry Peter, I forgot to tell you it's Windows 7. Thanx Again for any assistance! CSP

Peter

Have you tried reinstalling the sound driver?

Conexant Audio Driver(v4.119.0.61; 04-15-2010; 38.24M)

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
keebler

[ Edited ]

I have the satellite C655-s5514. Bought 1/23/12.

the sound does not get very loud at all. I have another satellite, HP, and Acer laptops and they all have good sound

What is going on? My  sound is up all the way 100%....

Maybe I am missing something? amp, booster setting's or what else?

It all works fine, Just not very loud.

Thanks for any and all replies................

Peter

keebler, have you tried updating your sound drivers as well?

Conexant Audio Driver(v8.54.4.53; 04-12-2011; 47.11M)

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
keebler

No I did not...

But, I did now...lol

the sound got a little better now. Still sounds a little tinny.

But a little better. Thank you...........:smileywink:

Peter

You could fiddle with the sound options. Right-click on the speaker icon in the notification area and select "Playback devices." In this window, select your speakers and click "Properties." The new window that opens should have some enhancements you can change. Maybe you can find a settings you prefer.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
keebler

[ Edited ]

Nothing new must be lousy Speakers !

Guess I will buy an Amplified speaker that mounts on laptop.

maybe Logitech z305, I think it is?

Thanx anyway

Occasional Contributor
TomCat41

Ladies/Gentlemen,

I to have a reasonably new P770-BT4G22 customized Satellite. The sound level is low and the quality is disappointing This is comparing it to a 5005-S504 Satellite I bought back in 2001!!! On closer investigation of the two, which may or may not be fair as the 5005 cost quite a bit more, I have discovered the following differences in the two:

5005 has Legacy audio drivers, Yamaha AC-XG audio Device and Yamaha XG WDM Softsynthesizer. Also has a full adjustment of sound options associated w/the above. Plus the  Harman/kardon stero speakers are mounted above the keyboard not flush w/it. Sound output will make my ears hurt w/o reaching maximum and the quality is Great!

P770 has Intel(R) Display Audio and Realtek High Definition Audio. So far, I have been able to only find very little, which I consider to be basicly eqivalent to non existant, options for adjusting the sound. The sound level is, at best, only moderate, and the quality would have to be judged as being only mediocre when compared to the 5005!

I guess Toshiba got a good deal on the Realtek equipment and possibly downgraded their level on the Harman/Kardon speakers in the P-770 machine?? There may be something that can be done to increase the sound level by modifying the sound drivers but the quality probably cannot be inproved?? Also, the current sound level may be associated with the level (quality) of the speakers ability to handle th volmue??

I think we will have to live with the poorer sound quality as it is probably associated cost/profit considertions, just as is  making many, if not all, of their current computers in China.

Regards,

TC

Occasional Contributor
keebler

[ Edited ]

I Fixed my sound..I took the easy way out...lol

I bought the Music Bullet from wally world for $14.00

And boy does it work Great. Only run my sound at 30 or 40% now.

Of course you can Google Music Bullet.

Any way it solved my sound problem for me.......

cronnin

That's not a solution. People have to be aware that these Satellite laptops have speakers that are worse than on any mobile phone. Thay are low in volume and have ABSOLUTELY NO bass and middle frequencies. Never in my life have a heard such a bad sounding device. Even a hand radio I've bought for a joke at $1 store sounds way better.

They sound so irritating and broken. Do yourselves a favour, and if you don't intend using this laptop exclusively with headphones (great sound BTW) or  external speakers,  get another brand. 

Mexicol

I think I have found the answer to weak, tinny, no base sound.

I have a new C55A with 8.1 and have suffered the same horrible noise.

Go to CONTROL MANAGER and find REALTEK HD AUDIO MANAGER and open it.

It shud open the speakers page below the Main Volume bar there are 4 menu tabs. The 1st (which the page opens on) is SPEAKER CONFIGERATION, next is SOUND EFFECTS open this and make sure NONE are cheecked. The 3rd tab is DTS open and launch it (it is a sound enhancement envitonment). In the bottom right there is an icon BASS BOOST, click on this and then if you are using external speakers (and of course you are) select that icon. Click the icon (like a power button) and hey presto big booming bass bloomed from my speakers.

Now go to CONTROL MANAGER SOUNDS, highlight the speaker file open PROPERTIES and go to ENHANCEMENTS and make sure "Disable all sound effects" is checked.

I hope this works for you.

ldaloha

Thank you so much!  I was beginning to think my brand new computer was a piece of junk when it came to music.  Can't figure out why the laptop doesn' t come set up to sound good instead of awful, but your suggestion fixed the problem!