ronmancan

No sound when connecting laptop to TV

I have a new Toshiba Satellite laptop and I went to BestBuy to get the necessary cables to use my TV as a monitor. I was told that I needed a VGA cable. Got home only to realize that the VGA cable doen't transfer sound, which was something the saleman forgot to mention to me. When I returned to the store one of the "Geek Squad" guys told me I need another jack to transfer the sound and he told me I needed a Stereo Audio 3.5mm (1/8") plug to Two RCA plugs. When I got home and hooked them up to my new 32" Dynex LCD TV I still had no sound. Then I noticed, in the manual for the TV, it tells me to use a VGA Audio jack. But I couldn't find anything that said that at BestBuy so I bought a cable with a 3.5mm jack on each end and that doesn't give me sound either. Can anyone tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong please.

Thanks

temper

Re: No sound when connecting laptop to TV

Does your TV have an input labeled "VGA audio"?  In order for you to redirect the sound coming out of your laptop to your TV, and have the sound work at the same time that the video from the computer is showing on the TV, there needs to be an audio input on your TV that is associated with the VGA input. If there is one, it's probably a pair of red and white connectors.  Your TV probably has a few of these.  You just need to figure out which ones go with the VGA input.

If there isn't an audio input associated with the VGA connection, you can either port the sound through a home entertainment system, a stereo, or just get a nice 5.1 sound system for your computer.