mihalyn

No sound w/ HDMI to TV

Hi,

Sound is not transferred to TV w/HDMI cable when I connect my Satellite U505-S2930 (my video camera works fine,though, w/HDMI).Have tried most recommendations on the forum, incl. driver updating - to no avail.

Possible clue: when I right-click the speaker icon on taskbar, there is no HDMI tab (only the Realtek driver for laptop speakers), though there is an Intel HDMI audio controller in ctrl. panel/device managers.

Can you help?

Mihalyn.

Peter

Re: No sound w/ HDMI to TV

Just to make sure you're looking in the right place, after you connect to your TV with the HDMI cable and you right-click on the speaker, you've selected "Playback devices," right? The HDMI output should be listed in the large box on the window that opens.

Did it ever work? If it worked at one time, you could try System Restore.

Is this the driver you tried?

Realtek Audio Driver for Windows Vista (32bit/64bit)(v6.0.1.5845; 06-18-2009; 68.72M)

You'll want to make sure it was the Vista driver you were installing.

If you still can't solve your issue and no one in the community can help, contact support to speak with a tech support agent at (800) 457-7777.

- Peter
mihalyn

Thanks for Your reply , Peter.To Your questions:

1. Yes, when I select "Playback devices" no HDMI output appears, only the speakers of the laptop.
  2. The process never worked
  3. I have not installed the driver You mention because I have Windows 7; but: I bought the laptop with Vista preloaded and then upgraded to W. 7.
  4. Both the Realtek driver for the internal speakers and the Intel HDMI controller in ctrl. panel/device managers say "uptodate" when checked.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Mihalyn.                   
Peter

Even though they're up-to-date, reinstalling them can often fix a huge number of problems!

Try this one.

Realtek Audio Driver for Windows 7 (32/64)(v6.0.1.5904; 09-04-2009; 44.13M)

And this one.

HDMI Control Manager for Windows 7 (32)(v2.0.0.1; 09-02-2009; 6.31M)

- Peter
mihalyn

Unfortunately reinstalling the two drivers did not fix the issue, I may have a deeper problem - I'll contact support.

Thanks, Peter.

Mihalyn.

Super Advisor
brad

Incidently, when talking about audio over HDMI, the normal soud driver (in this case the Realtek) doesn't matter.

It's the Intel Audio that handles HDMI sound, and that is part of the Video driver.  Yay for confusion. :-)

For the Speaker output, if possible, you should select the Intel HDMI audio.

Also, make sure the TV or reciever or whatever is on the other end of the HDMI cable is set to use the input that the computer is attached to.  Sometimes the computer won't see the TV unless it is on the active HDMI port.

Unfortunately computers and HDMI aren't quite yet plug-n-play.

Peter

Thank you for the information brad!

- Peter