captaintrips

No sound, USB, or webcam on Satellite L505D-LS5006

I am trying to fix a laptop for my friend and I have tried everything I can think of and am at a loss...

I have reinstalled using windows 7 x64 and x32 (even tried XP x32) There are no "Universal Serial Bus controllers" listed in device manager, nor any webcam.  Audio does at least show but says code 10 device cannot start (I have tried every driver I can find) I checked the BIOS and it was version 1.10 so I figured it might be a bad flash or something so I downgraded to 1.00 via bootable cd-rw and still have the exact same problems....

Is the hardware just fried or something?

Thanks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: No sound, USB, or webcam on Satellite L505D-LS5006

Satellite L505D-LS5006 

Best to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. It's the most dependable way to check out the hardware.

Order that here.

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

-Jerry
captaintrips

Is there any way I can just download the recovery image?  $25 seems a bit steep for a recovery disk

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You may get it cheaper from a third-party. But we have no experience with them. You may not get it at all.

Digitalmedia-labs.com

MyRecoveryCDs.com

Recovery-CD.com

RestoreDisks.com

RestoreCD4u

-Jerry
lardoin

I have done the system restore and recovery to out of box , but it still is saying no audio device installed

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If that's the case prior to adding any applications or peripherals and prior to updates, then it's fair to conclude there's a hardware malfunction.

-Jerry
wilywizzzz

Hi all
I just want to add the same issue I have got my Satellite L505D-LS5006 last year warrenty is over.
I formatted the hard drive clean wipe and installed legit windows 7 home premium edition and i have the same issue.
No Audio, No camera, No USB in the device Manager. I installed all the software needed from their website and no go. I searched on google for answer still no go untill i landed on this website.
I even went to microsoft website and tried that fix it solution downloaded and still no go.

I'm stuck with no answer at this moment untill some smart person have solution.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L505D-LS5006 

Best to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. Order that here.

-Jerry
wilywizzzz

Jerry_Lippey wrote:

Satellite L505D-LS5006 

Best to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. Order that here.

I did and still having the same issue

I'm wondering if this motherboard is defective

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If you have the same trouble after restoring the software to its original state, then we know that's not the source. Time to get the hardware diagnosed.

Locate a Toshiba Service Center

-Jerry
serenity983

Hi, I am beginning to think this is a running problem with Toshiba.  I have a 6 month old Satellite's having this exact problem.  But even more disturbing is that I ditched my old satellite L305 for the same problem.  After trying multiple fixes on that one it finally quit working all together, won;t even turn on.  I have always loved my toshibas but would have to think long and hard about buying another one at this point.

TamFelizJ

I agree! My Toshiba has done the SAME thing and I have tried a lot. I have taken it to places like Best Buy etc. and no one seems to know anything! I called Toshiba and they didn't help me at all!

granerboob

jerry, you keep saying it's probably a hardware problem but you don't suggest to a fix for that.

lesm

I have the same problem, with the same model.  I've reimaged from the recovery disks we made the day we bought the machine.  I've tried driver updates from Toshiba and Realtek and every other suggestion that I could find when I googled the problem.

The sad thing is that a TON of people seem to be having the issue with this and MANY other models of Toshiba notebooks, but Toshiba seems to be ignoring the issue. 

Jerry, You may be right that it is a hardware problem, but it would sure be nice if Toshiba would provide a diagnostic tool for that since there are so many of us with the issue.  Our problem began less than a month out of warranty and we have now spent 2+ months looking for a solution.  Very frustrating!  The plan was for this computer to become our kids computer, but without sound, it is usless for 6 year olds!

Toshiba, help please!

Occasional Contributor
Inconnu

If there are people viewing this thread that have issues regarding no sound and usb functionality with a laptop in the L505D family, please see this thread:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Audio-Sound/no-sound-usb-on-satellite-l505d-gs6000/td-p/172564

The thread does not provide a solution, but it has been more active than this thread has been, and hopefully a solution will be posted on that thread in the near future.

So far, it has been determined that this issue is exclusive to the L505D family of laptops, and it is a relatively popular issue with these laptops. Unfortunately, it looks like it may be a hardware issue (southbridge chip), but that hasn't been confirmed. It seems like every software-related solution has been tried, with no results... and Toshiba hasn't provided aid as of yet.

jamesguilliams

You are one of the many who have the same problem, I have been trying to solve this issue for months now, the drivers on the Toshiba site DO NOT work. I have tried drivers for about every other model and still no sucess. I am a certified tech and im stumped too!

Jim

Occasional Contributor
pyramidhvacr

Install from Toshiba Recovery Media out of box/ format then out of the box get the same thing no sound, USB.

before this crashed after login loading the flash or tray

Occasional Contributor
pyramidhvacr

Order Toshiba Recovery Media is a WASTE OF MONEY. I have OEM  Toshiba Recovery Media waste of time . I too changed windows formated. (WIPE HDD)  Backup disk work 2 time but driver drop or stopped working. In 2 Month reloaded sound and usb pop on/ But now nothing works. Pull HDD install other pc everything works fine, reinstalled but in L505D back same thing no usb, sound, web cam.  Found that bios upadte 1.5 for this machine but States wrong ROM. ABOUT READY TO YOUTUBE IT AS NOFIX FOR TOSHIBA> OR BLOW IT UP BY SHOOTING IT on YOUTUBE>  Bought it at SAM"S after a return. Had it about 14 mo. now, I see Toshiba is Changing from AMD back to INTEL. Hp uses AMD but does not drop usb or sound driver. Toshiba was on top but with trouble i think i pass htis name buying a other Laptop. NO FIX IN SITE BY TOSIBA.

USB Does not work in boot to usb.

Too Many L505D SAME PROBLEM.

jeremy687

L505-ES5018 same issue

Tried it all has to be hardware went out a couple months after warranty and no help from toshiba

chandlerb2029

Re: L505-ES5018 same issue

I to have the same problem.  A friend gave me her computer to check out.  It was freezing up everytime it starts and gets to the home screen.  Start in safe mode and it works.  So decided to do a factory restore, while i was doing it, the blue screen of death popped up.  So, tried it one more time, it errored out.  So, installed a clean version of Win 7 ultimate on it, everything works, except:  usb, sound, sd reader, and camera,. Installed drivers multiple times and nothing worked.  Tried different hard drive and nothing worked.  put that harddrive in my other box, it worked, so i am leaning toward hardware problem, specifically MB.  Any fixes short of buying a new laptop?