gregberesford

No audio

I have a Toshiba P105-S6177 that has suddenly lost all sound except when using headphones. If I unplug the headphones I have no audio whatsoever. Any ideas/ suggestions on what I can do do fix this or what might have happened?  Thanks.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: No audio

Satellite P105-S6177

Let's just try a basic system reset and see if this helps bring your sound back properly.  Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, at the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, boot into Windows again, and check if your sound is now working properly.

If that appears to have had no effect, then try reinstalling your sound driver. Assuming you are still running the Vista 32bit version your system came with, download and double click to install this file.

Conexant Audio Driver for Windows Vista

Please let us know the result. Best of luck.

Mike

gregberesford

Tried everything you suggested, no difference. Any other possibilities? Or perhaps is there a hardware failure that would account for the problem yet still let me use headphones ? Appreciate your assistance.

Super Advisor
miker643

Something being physically wrong with your headphones plug is a possibility. The gold standard test on whether you have an actual hardware problem is to run the Toshiba Recovery utility and return your unit to it's factory default out-of-the-box condition. Back-up all your user files, and if you have not already done so, make a set of recovery disks as directed on page 56 of your Satellite P100/P105 Series User's Guide, you'll need at least 3 DVDs, others have found that DVD-R disks seem to work best. Then, run the recovery utility from your hard drive's recovery partition as instructed on page 58 of your user guide.

If after recovering to the factory default you still have the problem, then is is hardware related. Good luck.

Mike 

ccooper

It is hard to find the problem when it comes to hardware related.  I had the same experienced.

Occasional Contributor
SandwichGuy

No sound from speakers but headphone does? Set your BIOS to defaults...