camax

No Sound - "No Audio Output Device is installed." Toshiba Satellite L875 Windows 8

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite L875-S7110 with Windows 8 that is a few months old now, and had been working fantastic until last night. Windows did an update, and now I have a red X over my sound icon that states "No Audio Output Device is installed."

Things I have tried so far to try to fix this:

I went to the Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers. I have "Intel(R) Display Audio" and "Realtek High Definition Audio" both listed with the little yellow caution icons on them. I have tried to disable, then enable each of them seperately and both together, which had no effect. I have tried to unistall both of them, restart the laptop, and let the drivers reinstall themselves, to no effect. I have tried downloading the latest drivers from both the Intel and Realtek product sites. The one from Intel seemed to install correctly and asked to restart the computer. There was no positive change to the audio though, stil the same message. The Realtek driver won't finish installing and throws the error: "Install Realtek HD Audio Driver Failure!! [Error Code: 0x000000FF]"

If I go to Control Panel > Sound, under both the Playback and Recording tabs, it says "No audio devices are installed."

If I go to Recovery, to try to roll back my updates with System Restore, I get errors on ALL of my restore points with the following message, "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: The specified restore point is missing or corrupt. Try again using another restore point. (0x81000201)"

I am usually pretty savvy in being able to research fixes and get around my computers, but thus far I've spent hours trying to get my sound back with no success. I'll be so appreciative of some help. Thank you!

~Cameron

cacoon3442

Re: No Sound - "No Audio Output Device is installed." Toshiba Satellite L875 Windows 8

Try the Toshiba Application Installer. There should be a feature that will check all that is missing. 

Go to Desktop Assist >Support Recovery > Toshiba Application Installer > then it will automatically scan your computer and replace what's missing. 

Assuming you are running Windows 8. 

cacoon3442

Re: No Sound - "No Audio Output Device is installed." Toshiba Satellite L875 Windows 8

It is not a good idea to download those apps individually. 

You could get a virus or sometype of add on that you won't be able to get rid of. 

camax

Thank you for the suggestion cacoon3442.

I didn't know about the Toshiba Application Installer. I didn't see a feature for checking all that is missing, however there was a list of applications on one side of the installer, and the option to install drivers for each on the other side. Here are my results for trying three sound related driver updates:

Realtek Audio Driver - 6.0.1.6687

Runs most of the way until I once again get:
"Install Realtek HD Audio Driver Failure!! [Error Code: 0x000000FF]"

SRS Premium Sound HD - 1.12.4600

Starts running, but then gets a window stating:
"The specified resource file is invalid."

Intel Display Driver - 9.17.10.2828
Installs completely, computer restarts. There is still the red X over the sound icon. Running the Playing Audio troubleshooting still results in "Problems found: Intel(R) Display Audio has a driver problem. Not fixed." The report says issues found: "Intel(R) Display Audio has a driver problem. Not fixed. (red X icon)" ; "Reinstall device driver. Completed." ; and "Check audio device. Detected. (caution icon)".

Any other suggestions? I just can't believe the audio output device would get so corrupted and stop working after a "critical" Windows update. 

camax

By the way, I have this under the General tab of the Intel(R) Display Audio Properties window (from Device Manager):

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

This same message is on the General tab of the Realtek High Definition Audio Properties window.

dreworks

Camax

Did ever get this problem solved because I'm having the save problem any suggestions?

Ujokissa1

Ujokissa1

Regular Advisor
kenna

[ Edited ]

If the other suggestions fail try the following:

1. Reboot in safe mode
2. Open device manager
3. Go under system devices
4. Disable (DO NOT UNINSTALL) the Microsoft UAA driver.
5. Reboot in safe mode (This is so that driver will not load)
6. Open device manager
7. Go under system devices
8. Now... uninstall the Microsoft UAA driver. This will also remove the Realtek.
9. Reboot to Windows.
10. Install the Realtek drivers without letting windows install it.

If this doesn't di the trick try this:

Disable audio controller in normal windows mode
2. Reboot in safe mode
3. Go to device manager
4. Uninstall
5. Install now Realtek driver and reboot in safe mode again
6. Go to device manager and see driver's version at this time you should have the updated driver.
7.Reboot normally

"Knowledge should be unrestricted and the most important commodity we can offer to help one another."