Blackdog3835

Media test failure, check cable

When I start up my Toshiba Satelite Tablet PC, I get an error message that says "Media test failure, check cable".What cable is this referring to? Any advice?
Frequent Advisor

Re: Media test failure, check cable

Blackdog3835 wrote:
When I start up my Toshiba Satelite Tablet PC, I get an error message that says "Media test failure, check cable".What cable is this referring to? Any advice?

Does Windows start?

Blackdog3835

yes there seem to be no other problems other than no sound
Frequent Advisor

Blackdog3835 wrote:
yes there seem to be no other problems other than no sound

I asked because this message is displayed when the boot loader has tried all possible devices and failed to find one.  The last device in the boot order is usually 'Boot from LAN', and when it fails, the boot loader 'suggests' that a LAN cable may be disconnected. Since this option comes last in the boot order, it often indicates that the hard drive could not be accessed. 

If you're getting a PXE-061 error intermittently, then you may want to ensure that you have good backups of your critical data, since your hard drive may be getting ready to fail.

Blackdog3835

The hard drive was recently replaced. The error message only shows up when I turn the computer on. The code is PXE - M0F
Regular Advisor
iSkO

Blackdog3835 wrote:
The hard drive was recently replaced. The error message only shows up when I turn the computer on. The code is PXE - M0F

Hi,

You can try loading bios defaults.. I think it was F9 when you are in the bios. Then F10 to save changes. :smileywink:

Blackdog3835 wrote:

Check the boot order. The LAN entry is probably ahead of the HDD entry, causing the boot loader to try to boot from the non-existent LAN.  Set the boot order so the LAN option is last.  Or, you can just ignore it.

Blackdog3835

That makes sense. Pardon my ignorance, but how do I check the boot order?
Frequent Advisor

Blackdog3835 wrote:
That makes sense. Pardon my ignorance, but how do I check the boot order?

You should be able to access it through Toshiba Assist, click the Toshiba Hardware Settings icon.  Older Toshibas used an icon in Control Panel named HWSetup.