MSwezey
Accepted Solution

Laptop interal speakers stopped working suddenly?

[ Edited ]

I was watching Transformers II last night in my dorm. I plugged my headphones in for the first time to listen so I wouldn't disturb my roommate. Well today my speakers in my laptop aren't producing sound anymore. Headphones still work when plugged in. I tried going over settings for the speakers and volume and everything looks fine. I looked up the problem on google, and a lot of people say its the switch in the headphone jack gets stuck sometimes and to just try to plug it in and out a couple of times till it works. That didn't work. Looking at the realk sound manager I see that it knows when the headphones are plugged in are not, so maybe its not the switch?

Any tips or suggesions?

A505-S6960

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Laptop interal speakers stopped working suddenly?

Satellite A505-S6960 

Won't hurt to reinstall the driver.

Realtek Audio Driver for Windows Vista (32bit/64bit)

-Jerry
Niobe

I have the same problem for the same laptop (posted this somewhere else on the boards too).  Unfortunately, Realtek doesn't even show up on the device list, wth.  I'm more than a little annoyed since I was just saying i LOVE my new laptop and was considering buying one for my husband.  I also added this laptop as a suggested anniversarry present for my brother from his wife. I don't know what to do about this.  I need it resolved before school starts for me in another 15 days.  HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Restore the hard drive back to its original factory-new contents using Toshiba recovery media. If it doesn't work properly then, it's due to hardware malfunctioning.

See the section Recovering the Internal Storage Drive, which begins on p. 62 of the User's Guide.

Satellite A500 Series User's Guide

-Jerry
Niobe

Thanks Jerry, I'll have to try this. 

Occasional Contributor
obtrunco

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem with my A505-S6960. Apparently they installed  deffective audio jacks which are designed just like any other audio device with the option of using headphones or external speakers. Otherwords when you plug in headphones it'll deactivate the main speakers, so it's supposed to return to normal when you unplug. But... the internals of the headphone jack is stuck. I say this because when you plug in a stereo jack it will open a circuit which feeds a signal to the main speakers and route the signal to the jack. There's a little switch in there that's pushed to open that circuit when you plug in that headphone jack, thus that switch is STUCK! :manmad: Believe me I'm frustrated as well. I thought Toshiba was a quality product but I may be wrong. No amount of sound driver re-installation will help you. And if it seems like it did, it's because the switch I mentioned got unstuck and it will not be the last time it will happen.

So guys, I suggest that if you still have a warranty... use it. I will.

THIS IS A HARDWARE ISSUE!!!!

AllenUKFAN

Turned my laptop completely off then back on. Works fine now!

maimhassan9

I am having the same problem with my laptop A215-S5837. We were watching a new video and suddenly no sound any where. Everything appears to be turned on and working but still no sound at all. I turned my computer off several time but no way. I tried going over setting for the speakers and volume, I found there everything looks fine. Please help me, I am stuck here :smileysad:
Occasional Advisor
bennor

For some, who have missing sound from the internal speakers, these two steps seem to help (not in all cases though).

• If your laptop uses the Realtek HD audio drivers then try updating the Realtek HD audio drivers to the latest one's from the Realtek website (which appears to have much later version's than Toshiba's support site). After updating to the latest Realtek HD drivers, open the Realtek HD Audio Manager and enable "Loudness Equalization".
  •  

• Power down the laptop (not a hibernation or sleep), remove the battery and the power adapter plug and then press the power on/off (nothing should happen but it might discharge any power remaining inside the laptop). Wait five to ten minutes and then reinsert both and restart the laptop. It appears for some that the hibernation and or sleep mode on these laptops cause the audio drivers to behave strangely.
    brooklyn13

Hello - hopefully my experience may help someone.  Thank you to everyone who posted troubleshooting ideas on here - I used a little bit from each.  So I have a Satellite L505 - was watching a show on hulu and my battery ran out (wasn't plugged in).  When I plugged it in, the speakers wouldn't work, although I could hear the sound with headphones.  First, I tried the "insert headphone jack in & out many times" method - this did not work.  Next, I restarted several times - did not work.  After another restart I went to 'speaker properties' and under 'device usage' I selected 'don't use this device (disable).  Then, after freaking out that I did something horrible, I did a hard shut-down, took out my battery, unplugged my power cord, then plugged everything back in and started in safe mode.  In safe mode I went to 'device manager' and double-clicked on 'sound, video, etc.'  Under 'driver' tab I selected 'roll back driver'.  After a normal restart the sound from my speakers was working again :smileyhappy:  Might have been a fluke, but hopefully it will work for someone else too!!

2t4me

I know posting on this subject might be outdated but the last suggestion worked -- I too was on computer when battery was about to die and it was going into Hybernate mode. So I quickly plugged it back into AC so it had to come out of Hybernate into a restore mode and that is when I lost speakers. Before doing all this I tried uninstalling current driver, going back to a default windows sound driver and it did not work for me.

So first I powered down, removed battery, re-started in safe mode, went to device manager, then audio rolled back audio driver, restarted again and once back up it worked with default drivers.Then I updated driver back to realtek's latest and I am back up with speakers working. -- it seems when you roll back the driver in safe mode (i didn't try roll back in regular mode which might also work) that seems the be the key to it. Thanks brooklyn13 for the post.

PDLaughlin

Even though this is an old thread I think it's helpful to keep posting the things that work.

After my computer went into hypernation after I let the battery run too low - whoops! - the speakers stopped working.  Then I did what the two previous posters did and it works great!

1) Rolled back the driver - NOT in Safe Mode -(You may or may not even have to do this step.)

2) Did a complete shutdown

3) Unplugged the computer

4) Took the battery out

5) Hit the Power button a couple times

6) Waited 5 minutes

7) Hooked everything back up and started it up and everything works properly.  Thank goodness!!

suprit

hey guys i also had a same problem and its been happening again and again when my battery die. 

i got an easy solution for all of you . 

control pannel 

sound 

then when u see speaker click on it and hit properties.

after then device usage make it disable then go to the smart icon of speaker its right bottom corner of the laptop screen . 

click on it and the laptop itself restore the problem and u r speakers will work again . ..

let me know if this thing works for you. 

muckman

I had the same problem - Thanks that worked for me..

anthony1230987

[ Edited ]

This works!  Yeah!:smileyvery-happy: Suprit's advice (posted above) works!

control pannel 

sound 

then when u see speaker click on it and hit properties

device Usage

make it disabled

then go to the smart icon of speaker its right bottom corner of the laptop screen

click on it and the laptop itself restore the problem and u r speakers will work again

bblume1262

I took Anthony's advice when my internal speakers quit, yet the headphone jack was ok.  I shut down the computer, unplugged it and removed the battery.  Replaced the battery, pluged it in, and booted up.... The speakers are now working.  Wish I would have found this answer before rolling back the driver, installing new driver, restored system acouple of times, and did multiple restarts.... the battery removal was the only thing that worked.  Thanks.

Supernovali

Hoo-rah! It works! Like above, all you have to do to get it working again is to make sure that you unplug your laptop from the wall, and while the laptop is running normally, pull the battery out, and count to 5-one-thousands (for the safety of the machine). Next time the sound quits, you know what to do.

WARNING!  DO NOT REPEATEDLY/RAPIDLY CONNECT AND DISCONNECT POWER FROM ANY COMPUTER! YOU MAY DAMAGE YOUR POWER SUPPLY AND YOUR HARD DRIVES WHICH ARE SENSITIVE TO ALTERATIONS IN A CONSISTANT POWER SOURCE AND TIMINGS! ALSO, MAKE SURE YOUR COMPUTER IS IDLE AND NO FILE COPIES OR TRANSFERS ARE OCCURING WHEN ATTEMPTING TO USE THIS TEMPORARY FIX!

It may or may not do harm to use this temporary fix as data can become corrupted when writing to the hard drive. That is why it is important that the computer be idle and no active transfers are taking place. This fix isn't the best fix as far as your computers safety is concerned, but it seems to be the only current fix and relatively safe since the chances of damaging data to the point of system failure is extremely unlikely even if you don't head the warning about the idle machine. Damaging hardware is far less probable than damaging data too, but I definently don't recommend rapidly turning on and off the machine since I've personally had a fit of rage at one of my old machines and destroyed the power supply and who knows what else.

(don't know how it affects a laptop, but a desktop power supply is very fragile when it comes to rapidly turning on and off but you could still do serious damage to your hard drive and its data, not to mention other components) 

Jazzy13

Thank you very much indeed, Suprit! Not a Toshiba laptop user but still helped me:smileyhappy: Useful and easy.. Thanks!

DS1485

Re: Laptop Exteral speakers stopped working suddenly?

I found this in a blog and it works. First thing is to not let the battery die all the way. But if you do, just detach the battery...wait a couples seconds...reinstall battery....and bingo the sound comes back to the external speakers. 

tlavonda1

I believe your correct about the speaker jack. I usually have studio monitors hooked to my laptop. I was using my laptop without the monitors and found my left speaker wasn't working. I jiggled and twisted the jack inside the computer and could hear cracklings of sound starting to come from the left side until sound fully came through.

A505-s6025 model