Occasional Contributor
CindyV

How do I hook up the audio on Toshiba Satellite L555D-7005 to TV

I have a Toshiba Satellite L555D-7005 notebook and I am trying to get the notebook audio to play out my Insignia™-(22" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LED-LCD HDTV-NS-22E450A11) TV.  The only connection I could see working to stream video to the TV from the notebook was with a RGB to RGB cable.  That worked for the picture, but not the sound.  I bought an audio cable with one end that fits the headphone out hole on my computer and the other end has r RCA plugs that fit into the red and white audio holes on the TV.   The cables and the TV are color coded with  red and white plugs and everything seemed to fit properly, but sound will not come out on the TV. I am wondering if anyone out there with a L555D also has an Insignia Tv and can tell me how to hook up the audio.  Also, I read that the RGB cable is provides the lowest quality picture.  Is thee a better way to hook up the video?  I would appreciate any information anyone can share !  Thanks, Cindy

Here are the features listed for the TV: 

• Product Features
  • 21-5/8" screen measured diagonally from corner to corner
    Optimal for viewing in medium size rooms.
  • Ultraslim design (1-1/2" deep)
    Ideal for wall mounting (with optional mounting kit, not included).
  • High brightness (250 cd/m²) and incredible contrast (1000:1 native, 2500:1 dynamic)
    For an arresting viewing experience.
  • 1080p display
    Provides the highest quality progressive-scan picture possible from a high-definition source.
  • SRS TruSurround Sound system
    Provides a theater-like surround-sound experience, with clearer dialog and the enhanced bass sounds.
  • Audyssey Dynamic Volume
    Set your preferred volume level to make soft dialog clearer, commercials won't blare and sound it will be at it's richest automatically.
  • Inputs
    Include 1 component video (side), 1 PC (rear), 1 PC audio (side), 1 RF (rear) and 3 HDMI (side).
  • Outputs
    Include 1 optical digital audio (rear) and headphone jack.
  • 3 HDMI inputs
    HDMI cable not included.
    High-speed HDMI cable is the only connection that can deliver a full HDTV experience with a full 1080p picture and digital surround sound.
  • PC video input
    Lets you connect your computer to experience high-resolution images.
  • USB port
    For quick connection of a digital camera or other USB device.
  • Additional Handy features
    Include a sleep timer, INlink and channel labeling
Occasional Contributor
DKside

Re: How do I hook up the audio on Toshiba Satellite L555D-7005 to TV

Hi

Plug in headphones and make shure you can hear sound  with them. This will tell you if its your laptop or tv that is not operating. If you hear no sound right click the speaker icon lower right then click playback devices and see if your headphones are enabled. If you hear sound make sure the rca cables are pluged into the red and white sound in jacks on the tv you may have to enable this input with your tv remote settings.

Qosmio X505-890=i7-740QM-6GB DDR3-64 GB SSD-500 GB SATA-
BR-Rom-DVD Burner-HD 18"Display-GTS360M-1GB-GDDR5
HP 17 Envy 3wks Returned
DIY Desktop Builds
Occasional Contributor
CindyV

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I tried everything you mention in your email and could not get any sound.  The little sound waves come out of the icon speakers, but no sound out of the real speakers. So..... I went back through the TV manual and the fine print says to use an audio cable with stereo mini plugs.  Is that a cable with two male headphone plugs on the end?  Please let me know if you are familiar with that kind of cable.  My l555D -7005 doesn't have a HMDI plug does it? Thanks again! Cindy

Occasional Contributor
DKside

Hi

Stereo mini plug is male with 2 small black plastic washers. You will see at the end silver,black space,silver,black space,silver then the plug housing.This insulates the right & left channel with one ground wire going to 2 Male RCA plugs on the opposite end. If the plug has only 1 black washer=insulator then its a mono plug.

Speaker icon is for your laptop speakers, you need to make the headphones the default device by right clicking on it and select enable this device so the signal will be sent out the mini headphone jack to your speakers.

HP 17 Envy 3wks Returned
DIY Desktop Builds
Occasional Contributor
DKside

Hi

I looked at the specs for your laptop and there is no HDMI out port for this model but RGB & Headphones out jack should work. Here is the link for closeup views of the ports.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?modelFilter=L555D-S7005&rpn=PSL...

Click on product tour.

HP 17 Envy 3wks Returned
DIY Desktop Builds
Occasional Contributor
CindyV

I bought the sterio plugs and the volume comes out on the TV!  Thanks for your help!  I really appreciate it!