Taurus
Accepted Solution

High pitched noise, mixer slider shaking.

Hi, I've got a Satellite A665 S608 that has developed a problem overnight. The speakers are emitting a high pitched whine. I can drop the slider on the mixer at the far right of the task bar to silence this, but I can still hear a faint sound. The mute option is not available. I cannot slide to less than 2%.

Also, the little pointer on the mixer slider is shaking like it's freezing, the speaker icon on the task bar is doing the same thing.

Also new, is that when I start the machine, a DOS type screen asks me which OS I want. Windows 7 is entered in the field. And I keep getting a prompt for "toshiba eco something" energy saving program. I've never seen these things before.

Sound card is Realtek. I wondered if it was a feedback thing with the micophone (if there is an internal one, I have no external mic) so I believe I have disabled whatever is onboard. No help.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Peter

Re: High pitched noise, mixer slider shaking.

Your model number seems to be missing a number. Can you double-check that?

- Peter
Taurus

Oops. It should have read: Satellite A665-S6086.

Thanks

Peter

Have you tried reinstalling the sound driver?

Realtek Audio Driver(v6.0.1.6069; 03-30-2010; 88.19M)

- Peter
johnmiller66

I am having the same exact problem on the same model laptop except on my mouse pad I can no longer tap the pad to enter, I have to use the actual left button to enter. Thanks for any help.

johnmiller66

I paid my 49.00 to toshiba. I dont know what the problem was, but to fix it they had me unplug from the charger, remove the battery, and then hold down the power button for 20 seconds. Reinstall the battery plug back into the charger and tap f8 to put it in safe mode as it powered up. We couldnt find any error codes. I seems to be working fine after it was powered up again.

They gave me a case number to call back in if it happens again.

Taurus

Peter-Thanks for responding. It looks as though the device controlling the row of buttons across the top and above the keyboard has failed. I was sent a shipping box from Toshiba to send the machine to repair. This will be my machine's 2nd trip away from home. It's 14 months old.

Johnmiller66- I will try the same proceedure Toshiba walked you through before I ship my laptop over to them.

Funny but, my Sharp stereo was malfuctioning also. I got on customer service after tracking down a phone # they make it hard to locate. The lady told me about 'resetting', which wipes out the memory of the hi-fi. She also told me it wouldnt solve my static noise problem. Well, it did.  I love simple solutions. The more brains devices have, the more they screw up.

Thanks

Taurus

Johnmiller66- Wow, it worked!Thanks, man. I feel like I owe you $24.50. If I had shipped that machine out, I would gotten an unneccesary surgury.

Thanks, John.

johnmiller66

Glad it worked you.

John

Taurus

Make that 'surgery''.

Peter

I'm glad that solved it!

Taurus, are you media buttons functioning again as well?

- Peter
Taurus

Peter- I think so. They aren't lit up. The "Satellite" on the bottom left corner, and the thin light across the top of the touch pad are out, too. I turned them on before, but dont remember how I did it. I'm almost always on AC, so no need to have them off.

Also, when my machine started to work again, the speakers had a heavy reverb sound. Serendipity, because I discovered my sound card had a wide EQ spectrum I never knew it had. I wonder if it has effects that can be used for guitar. Overdrive, compression, vibrato, etc. Or, if they are available.

All-in-all, a happy ending.

Thanks.

bigblacksmoke

Thank you for posting this.  I had the same problem with the volume icon and slider shaking and high-pitched noise as well as the volume dropping to mute or going all the way up, randomly.  It nearly drove me mad.  I tried everything but the battery removal procedure you described seemed to have fixed everything.  Thank you, thank you!