nala1210

Headphones Not Recognized When Plugged in, Internal Speakers Won't Mute

Hi all, I've scoured these message boards looking for a solution to this problem, but couldn't find a solution that worked.  Hopefully someone can!

Toshiba Satellite C655-S5312

Edition: Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium (R) CPU B950@ 2.10GHZ 

Installed Memory: 4.00 GB

System Type: 64-bit Operating System

The problem I'm having is that my computer won't recognize my headphones or any other external audio device when I plug them in. The internal speakers continue to play no matter what. I used the jack fine one night and the next morning it wasn't working. I've checked these external devices with other computers and they work fine.  My computer is just over a year old and no longer under warranty, but I can't imagine it being a hardware issue after such a short time of use.    I had this problem before right after I got my computer back from a repair shop.  Turns out the guy didn't reinstall my drivers.  Now, when I tried to follow those same steps, I'm getting nowhere.  I can say that I noticed that the available drivers on the Toshiba website have changed.  Before it was RealTek and now, after updates, it' was SmartAudioHD and now High Definition Audio Device.  I don't know if that bears any significance, but I thought I'd include that anyway.  I've tried uninstalling the driver, but everytime I restart my computer it's there under Audio Device Manager.  Tech Support said that my comp automatically adds the driver so I'll never really get rid of it.  Does that make sense?  

Troubleshooting steps so far:

1.) Uninstall and reinstall drivers (restarted my computer after)

2.)  Control Panel--->  Device Manager---> Sound, Video Games and Game Controllers---> High Definition Audio Device (was SmartAudio before updating driver during troubleshooting)---->right click and "Enable" is checked

3.)  Control Panel---> Sound---> Playback Tab (in Sound Dialog Box)---> Speakers (HDAD) green check mark but Headphones (HDAD) red downward arrow and "Not Plugged In" (Can enable or test because it's not detected)

Am I missing a driver?  Am I missing a vital step?  Please someone help me! 

nala1210

Re: Headphones Not Recognized When Plugged in, Internal Speakers Won't Mute

P.S.  At one point, when I first entered Sound under Control Panel this prompt came up:

"Windows has detected the audio enhancements for the following devises are causing problems: 

Speakers (Conexant SmartAudio HD)

Would you like to disable driver enhancements for this device?"

No matter what I chose, it didn't fix the problem. 

noitamroftuo

I have the same issue.  Headphones worked fine until last week

Toshiba TECRA R840 x86

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

darksylum

[ Edited ]

I am having the same exact problem. Satellite L755d. Sound worked fine up until just a few minutes ago. I had downloaded latest realtek driver from toshiba about 2 days ago with the SRS Premium sound panel and everything seemed fine. I had just started my computer up and headphones was already plugged in. I heard the windows boot sound vut as soon as I opened an MP3 song, Sound stopped and the error "Windows has detected the audio enhancements for the following devises are causing problems"

System speakers work fine but no audio comes out via the headphone jack. I uninstalled my sound drivers and used every driver release on the website for my model. No good. Also tried realtek drivers direct from realtek website. Still no good. My laptop is about 2 years old and has been rock solid up until now. 

Satellite L775d

AMD A6-3400m

Windows 7 home premium

4gb ram

darksylum

Hey everyone I just got mine working. This is strange and I do not understand how it fixed it but I hope it helps you guys also.

Go to control panel > Sound > Recording tab at top > check to make sure stereo mixer is not disabled.

I dont even know why I bothered to click that and enable it I just didnt think anything should be disabled and low and behold my headphones work again.

noitamroftuo

i don't have a stereo mixer button

the problem is

my heapdphones are plugged in but it says not plugged in like

http://i.imgur.com/QT4ExzL.png