BlackandredBld

Hd Audio Through Hdmi Satellite L755-S5246

Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a way of getting full HD audio from The HDMI port on my Satellite L755-S5246. I have Gone through the sound options and tried to configure it to Surround Sound, But the only option is stereo. Is there a way to change this? According to device manger I have The CONEXANT audio driver for the speakers that are in the laptop and it is up to date. I tried to install the NVIDIA Audio driver, Because To my understanding it controls audio through the hdmi but When I tried to Install it comes up with an error message saying it cannot locate the drivers to install. Leaving me to believe that the NVIDIA driver isn't supported in my model. When I have My laptop connected to my television, and look at the sound properties, It says it's using the Intel Display Audio Driver for sound. And when I try to configure it under the sound properties on my laptop it's still doesn't list any other option other than stereo.

Question: is there a way getting Hd audio out Through the hdmi connection, Mainly Dolby 5.1 surround sound?

Relevant Information:

Laptop model: Satellite L755-S5246

Operating System: Windows 7 Sp1

Audio Driver : (Laptop) CONEXANT Smart-audio Hd

(HDMI) INTEL Display Audio Driver

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Hd Audio Through Hdmi Satellite L755-S5246

[ Edited ]

Satellite L755-S5246 Specifications

Satellite L755-S5246 Downloads

LC27H060 SpecSheet

User Manual - LC27H060

I can't test this because I don't have your sound card or your TV. But, I think you're playing with the wrong device. And, I apologize in advance if you've already done this. But, you haven't made clear what you've already done on the TV side of things.

With your laptop and your TV both turned on, with the HDMI cable connecting them, select as its video input the correct HDMI port that you've plugged the HDMI cable into on the TV, you then need to use your TV remote control to enter the TV's Menu, then select 'Audio Menu', use the up down arrows and select 'SRS TruSurround HD', turn it 'On'. If you want to try just audio (that is listen to mp3 files with no video) again, enter the 'Audio Menu', select 'Audio Only', turn this feature 'On', when you want to watch video turn off 'Audio Only'.

You can see the instructions for this staring on page 26 (Adobe Reader page 28) or your TV's user's guide. But, if you have already done all of the above, then sound coming out of your laptop, through the HDMI into your TV, is as good as it's going to get.

You have a Conexant Sound card & a Intel Video/Display card in your laptop. You have no nVidia devices at all, so no nVidia driver will ever load on your laptop. Because you have a Intel Video/Display card, and the HDMI port is mainly for watching DVDs, etc, on an external TV/monitor, the display card handles the HDMI audio as well.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

BlackandredBld

Thank you for your quick response, I should have included this before but I didn't want to bury you in irrelevant information.

Just to be clear my television is connected to a Sony home theater system (By optical cable), and it is configured for 5.1 surround sound. I know the set up is right for the television and the home theater system because when I play my Xbox 360 I get high definition audio.

My main issue is that when I have my Laptop connected to my television the audio is always in stereo.

• Correct me if I’m wrong but The HDMI port should be sending out both High definition audio and video?

• There should be an option to configure the sound to 5.1 under the playback devices by going to control panel-> Hardware and Sound → Manage Audio Devices and then clicking configure.

For information on my desktop and my old laptop (Both of which are vista, neither have a audio port other then the standard 3.5 stereo jack) It lists three options ( Stereo, quadrophonic, and 5.1 dolby). However when I look at the same settings on my laptop it only list stereo, for both the speakers in the laptop and the HDMI Port.

Specificity my question is the Toshiba Satellite L755-S5246 HDMI port configurable for high definition audio? And if so how?

Relevant Information:

Laptop model: Satellite L755-S5246

Operating System: Windows 7 Sp1

Audio Driver : (Laptop) CONEXANT Smart-audio Hd

(HDMI) INTEL Display Audio Driver

Television Model: AOC Lcd27ho60

Home theater system : Ht-ddwg700

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Right click on the the speaker icon in your system tray at the bottom right of your screen, left click on 'Playback devices', single click on 'Intel(R) Display Audio' to highlight it, click the 'Configure' button at the bottom left of the 'Sound - Playback devices'.

Whatever your selections are there, are what you are able to choose. Hopefully, you will be able to select something that will get you working. According to your Intel HM65 chipset/display card features, the HDMI does include HD audio.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck,

Mike

BlackandredBld

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply, I have completed the steps and as you can see from the screen capture. The only option listed is stereo.

According to the chip-set data/ diagram that you referenced, everything suggest that my laptop (Satellite L755-S5246) should support HD audio.

Given that we have a discrepancy between the specifications and the current configuration, where do we go from here? Thank you for all your help on this matter.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

If you had the laptop and TV turned on, the HDMI cable plugged-in, had selected the correct HDMI input port on your TV, and had your SRS TruSurround option turned on in the audio of your TV, when you clicked on 'Configure', then I'm running out of suggestions. Maybe click on the 'Test' button under the 'Audio channels' box in your attached pic?

Try the Intel Forums.  Still on warranty? Try calling Toshiba Customer Support:

Customer Support in the United States

• Computers: (800) 457-7777 (toll-free) or (949) 859-4273

If you figure it out, please let us know. Good luck.

Mike