AlexD117

Guitar Recording Issue In Mic Phone-Input

I am trying to record guitar tracks while plugged into my microphone input with an 1/4 in. to 1/8 in. adapter, but my Windows 7 Satellite L775D-S7305 won't pick it up. I've recorded this way (as I'm sure many others have as well) on my desktop computer with no problem. All of my volumes are up and un-muted, so no need to question this. It works with an actual microphone at recording, but not the guitar input and the problem is not in my recording software. I have tried recording with "Wave Mapper" "Microphone (Realtek HD)" and "Stereo Mix (Realtek HD)" but still nothing. Also, my built-in microphone works flawlessly. If anyone knows anything about this, I would be greatly appreciative to learn how to fix this. I'll give extra info on the issue if needed.

Super Advisor
brad

Re: Guitar Recording Issue In Mic Phone-Input

I'm not sure if any of this will help, just more things to look at...

I was thinking that perhaps the levels from the guitar pickups might not be hot enough to show up, but if a mic does, then I can't imagine a pickup showing less level.

Compared to the mic 1/8" plug, does the adapter that you are using have the same tip/ring arrangement?  Basically is it just tip/ring, or does it have more divisions like a stereo plug would? eg. tip/ring/ring

If it's a stereo arrangement, then perhaps the contacts in the mic jack are touching on the wrong part of the plug barrell and getting the unused channel.  If that's the case, then see if you can find a mono 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.

That's about all I could think of, as you seem to have covered the other possibilities.

Of course, if all else fails you could go the route of an external USB convertor, I'm pretty sure that ART, Roland, Alesis, etc have many options along those lines.

AlexD117

Oh it's an acoustic- electric guitar, works fine in an amp. I'm not positive if it is Stereo or Mono but it has multiple rings. I've tried having the adapter slighty unplugged and the connection will cause the levels to spike for half a second (just like any live plug-in) so I believe that could help a bit. Thank you, I'm still open to other possibilities

Super Advisor
brad

I'm thinking that a 1/4" mono to 1/8" mono adapter on the computer end of the cable from the guitar might work.

Something like this:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/305897.html

That way you'd just have the tip and ring, and no multiple rings which I'm guessing is the issue.